How can we improve Azure Signup and Billing?

Spending Limit or Maximum Cost CAP for Azure

As a customer, I really care about Spending Limit or Spending CAP feature of Azure.

How does Azure prevent some evil attack to my Azure sites causing charge a large billing of Credit Card?

For example, it should automatically shut off or temporary disable my site when a certain dollar amount has been reached.

Is this feature in the RoadMap of Azure?

Or is there anyway to control my maximum Spending Limit of Azure?

Thanks.

2,482 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminAzure Billing Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Quick update,

We have been considering all of the risks and investigating the steps required to ensure we implement this feature with high positive impact and low to no negative impact.

After this investigation we have decided we will enable Pay-As-You-Go customers the option to configure a spending limit on a Pay-As-You-Go subscription, with appropriate safeguards and measures to prevent both service abuse and production service failure.

We have not yet finished determining the details of what this feature will look like, nor do we have a timeline for release, but we have heard your voices and have added this feature to our backlog.

Thanks for your continued feedback,

-Adam (Azure Billing Team)

148 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Woof commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello? Year after year I send my customers to other solutions...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft, the ability to delegate a capped spend to departments or projects is pretty fundamental to controlling costs & making azure viable in a range of scenarios. You may have bottomless money bags but most of us don't.

It's clear from the thread that there is customer demand for this feature, so why has there been no response for almost 2 years?

• No way commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not going to even touch Azure again if there's no option to set a hard spending limit (or - preferably - buy some virtual currency with a real money and then use that virtual currency, instead of risking with my credit card).

Right now, I'm pretty sure I can order a service that costs $45 000 a month (cognitive services) with a one miss-click, which is outrageously dangerous, to say the least.

Maybe there is some confirmation page after that one click, I don't know, I'm not going to check this out, I'm not going to go bankrupt.

Never again Microsoft, your service is just too much risk to take.

Without a spending cap, the risk of pay-as-you-go is too high. I would prefer to set and adjust some limit, even if it's quite high at times, to suspend operations temporarily in cases of unanticipated (potentially malicious) surges in activity.

Well, found the alerts menu (at least alerts if not hard limits) but for Pay-as-you-go it's not enabled to set an alert... well Microsoft doesn't care for the smaller customers :( , and it's ok, the only thing we can do is use another cloud, luckily there are plenty: AWS, GCE, Softlayer, Rackspace, and what not....

Hi, does it exist now? (2017 =) ) I didn't find any billing alarm or limit options in menu...
        Thanks.

• Martin Bérubé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real problem for small businesses and individuals. Until this is fixed, I'll have to go for another hosting company.

• Jon Reade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's THE main reason I won't use or recommend Azure.
        Please address this, it's a basic business issue that's losing you potential customers.

• Anup Mistry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists in MSDN/Microsoft partner dev accounts and also Azure Trial Credits. Maybe do two levels of caps. Like two limits, one to halt service and second allows to bring service online, so VMs don't get entirely lost/de-allocated. Example: Halt service spending at $100 and keep $25 to allow snoozed service.

• Craig Main commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

come on - this is pathetic, you planned the most voted feature on the entire platform two years ago? No feedback added since then... with four times the votes of the most asked for general features?

I just converted my free trial to a pay-as-you-go subscription and tried to set a spending limit so that I don't get robbed by unexpected traffic, only to find out that this feature is not available for this subscription type. I don't quite understand why it's possible for certain subscriptions, but not for pay-as-you-go. Sounds like there are political motives at work, not technical ones.
        I'll be looking elsewhere.

• JL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is insane. So Microsoft has just decided that they can bankrupt their customers for the malicious actions of others? Wow. Azure just lost all credibility. I can't go bankrupt just because they refuse to implement this obviously necessary feature.

• Hrvoje Kusulja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also interested in opt-in for CSP Azure subscription spending limit. To have hard / financial limit . After reaching the limit to automatically guarantee azure subscription is suspended / no further costs for end-customer should be generated.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Uaaa, I have subscribed to the service recently and was almost shocked that such a basic feature is not available out of the box! Or at least an option to send a notification when some amount is reached. Probably will switch to some other vendor then.

• Kyro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Over 4 years and still not implemented. Google and AWS have spending limits. Microsoft implement other "features" such as graphs and "better styling" but not one of the most requested features ever that has actual merits.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base