How can we improve Azure Signup and Billing?

don't use credit card for simple verification

I only use the free translation service, but if you want my credit card details to sign up for that, then I can live without it. If at any time I should want to use a paid service, _then_ you can have my credit card details.

100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
kim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

45 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3. It's been 2 years and still no progress. Why can't you just authenticate users that have a Office subscription which they pay for each month?

This is so awkward, feels like 1990's again.

• Katrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, not even me.
    I just didn't see how my credit card data would help you to "verify my identity and protect me from spam". I 'd wish at least a better explanation.
    What a waste.

In Europe:
    1. Credit Cards are not as popular as in US (e.g. 32% grownup holders Germany, l.t.25% Poland etc. ) and the number of users is falling (sources below)
    2. Main Account Debit Cards and Credit Cards are even less likely to be used in online transactions (e.g. only 12% in Germany and far less in EU developing countries) because it's not considered safe enough (almost 0.04% of the value of Credit Card transactions in EU belongs to fraud)
    3. For some time now, every phone number (incl. prepaid and voip) must be registered and assigned to a confirmed person.
    4. You have a competition. All serious Data Centers and Cloud Solution Suppliers that I tried so far (I assume I'm not allowed to list them here) support at least one safe way of verification (Prepaid Cards, refundable direct bank transfer, Blik, PeoPay, PayPall etc., or even by phone)

I really wanted to test all cloud solutions before I choose, but even Microsoft can't expect enough of my trust to give them uncontrolled, constant access to my funds.

I'm sure that Analysts/Profilers in Microsoft have all the statistics and data in detail so I really can't understand this diminishing of the importance of the matter, the approach that potentially discourages so many future customers. It's like loosing by forfeit.

sources:
    https://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/EN/Downloads/Publications/Studies/payment_behaviour_in_germany_in_2014.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
    https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scplps/ecb.lwp16.en.pdf?344b9327fec917bd7a8fd70864a94f6e
    https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/conferences/shared/pdf/20171130_ECB_BdI_conference/payments_conference_2017_academic_paper_korella.pdf

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is funny! Requiring a card verification (after phone verification) for a free service is not how you do it. I really wanted to tryout azure but oh well there's amazon.
    What a way to lose potential customers...

• Dude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I reluctantly gave out my phone number, but only to be asked for... credit card data for so called FREE service! This is outrageous! What's wrong with you? Oh, I can live without this whole Azure thing, just wanted to try out something new, but apparently it wasn't worth it. It's totally disappointing.

• basoglu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

öğrenci versiyonunu ücretsiz kullanmak istiyoruM. Ancak sürekli olara kredi kartı bilgilerimi sistem talep ediyor . sisteme gezinmek icin dahi giremiyorum . düzeltin .

• Cindy Rodrigues commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a student, and I need access to Azure for assignment...but I have no credit card. Please help!

My computer was hacked a couple yr ago and they put a program on my computer at the time giving them self access to every thing and stopping me from doing anything. So now any internet access I have they have also plus syncing everything I have automatically whenever it's turned on or off so I never have a Secure port I can use. Verification needs to be made some other way without a credit card

Its not understandable why a registration via phone/SMS and Email is not acceptable for a free service - thanks for blocking this

This is so stupid of you @Azure Billing Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) to saying below in so cool tone as if you are so innocent.

"Thanks for reaching out. We require a credit card as a form of identity verification. No money will be charged during the free trial period unless explicitly authorized.
    -Nick, Azure Billing Team"

We are asking why do u need CC for verification? Isn't there any other way?

You don't know anything except repeatedly telling the same useless thing.
    Why don't you verify with other means? If you can't think then why r u running the company? If you won't charge then why do you need it at the first place in FREE TRIAL? When user will switch to paid service you will collect this information. If u were not MS, I would have definitely thought of u as a fraud. How other applications are verifying the identity? Do u want everyone to have a CC? Why the **** we all will have it?

FIND A WAY OF VERIFYING PEOPLE WITH SOME OTHER REALISTIC MEANS AT THE EARLIEST.

How the **** on this earth you are asking these bank details? You can also use payment gateways.

This is so frustrating and third class system.. horrible.

Why do you need a credit card at all for verification? Why not any other means like phone no. etc.? And about free trial, you can just do with phone no. to have real users. If you are not taking money for free trials, then don't ask any debit/credit card details for it. When user will switch to paid service, then ask to supply those details. This is so useless of asking so sensitive information for nothing. I don't have a CC and I don't want to make one also. Then what is my option for a free trial? How come you have not implemented any alternate yet? Is this really MS?

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have a credit card, and to expect people to have one is quite frankly laughable, at best!

I'm student and microsoft translator api stopped working in my web app at university copa-trad.ufsc.br now I'm fiding ways to have access to api without credit card. I gonna try this Microsoft Imagine.

• Oscar Ekholm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And i am sure you use credit cards just to verify that "you are human", have you though of other methods? Perhaps a phrase that you have to type instead. Have you thought that there are people who don't use Visa or credit card? You are ********

Why do you ******* kikes want our credit card details for a free trial? Wheres the ******* logic in that?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base