How can we improve Azure Signup and Billing?

Billing admin

Azure *must* allow distinct access for billing admins and technical admins. If Azure is trying to be an enterprise solution, they must not expect companies to share logins, or for technical admins to have to download and mail the billing statement to the financial admin. Every company on the planet has distinct technical admins and billing admins. I doubt that Microsoft's CTO and CFO are sharing logins.

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    iv shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Konrad Brunner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anonymous

Working now since 3 years with Azure. This was my first feature request! So what can be more professional than that? The way how seamless Azure integrates into an existing customer environment you will not find at AWS and not at Oracle. That's professional! And putting my efforts into a cloud where the questions rises, how long it will exist, would also not be very much professional.

Regards
        Konrad

• Konrad Brunner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a customer using mainly CSP Subscriptions. Because some services are not supported by CSP subscriptions, we had to get in addition a pay-as-you-go subscription. To get support on that subscription, we had to order a support subscription.

All bills about O365 and Azure CSP or pay-as-you-go subscriptions can be managed quite well by sending them by email or by download with the billing reader role. Except this support subscription. We tested all possibilities:
        - Support subscriptions can’t be sent by E-Mails as all others
        - Billing Reader Role does not work for Support subscriptions as with all other subscriptions
        - Microsoft is not able to send us paper bills for this support subscription
        - Access to account.portal.com can’t be given to billing readers
        - It’s not possible to get this subscription showing up in portal.azure.com
        - It’s not possible to add this support to an existing pay as you go subscription

So, the absolute only way is downloading the bill for this support subscription with the global account admin. May the customer has a policy to absolutely not using this account for daily business. Only for the setup tasks where it is absolutely required. The reason is that this account has global admin rights and can change everywhere everything. It’s a big security issue, using and handling that account. This was the reason why the customer wanted to have a 4 eyes principal each time this account is used and store it's password in a save. Each usage of the account requires to change the password before it goes back to the save.

Now I must tell the customer that this entire process has to be done once a month, because Microsoft is not able to deliver the bills of support subscriptions to another account than the global administrator. Even not by email!

This fact stays in completely contradiction to all the nice and well working security mechanisms in azure, if the top level has such a lack!

Please change this as fast as possible.

• Priyabrata Sethi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can always download the billing report. You don't need an EA Admin to do that job for you.
        Though I support this idea of adding co-admins to support the billing.

• MhDufau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree too ! I'm waiting since 15 days to access support about billing issue because the subscription creator is out of office and had get the account administrator role by default.
        Because Microsoft have failed to give the good information to create the subscription OPEN AZure , the subscription creator's it's not the good person to manage it :-(
        I agree too with this idea : The inability to allow a co-administrator to handle billing is ridiculous.

• Kenny Chan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue probably pertains to Pay-as-you-Go credit card Azure Subscriptions. Most of our corporate customers doing just a few thousand a year to over a million a year in Azure are able to provide some level of separation between billing and technical administration of Azure because they are running Azure against an EA or SCE agreement and so they use the Azure EA and Azure portals. Sounds like they need to provide something similar for MS Direct Pay-as-you-Go subscriptions to provide option to separate billing user and technical account admin.

In a follow-up note - I'd like to see MSFT consolidate the Azure EA portal to just the Azure portal and put the Azure EA stuff into a separate tab or section in the Azure portal where that information would be available for Azure EA admins.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is my ONE complaint about Azure. The person who setup the account is usually not the person responsible for making sure a vendor is paid on time or tracking invoices. The inability to allow a co-administrator to handle billing is ridiculous.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you also create an Azure Automated Billing Service would allow Azure developers to automatically bill their users for their share of usage for a Azure?

• Bryan Dyck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100%! The billing admin and information - especially resource usage (in $ terms) grouped by resource group - is the biggest single thing holding us back from adopting Azure on a larger scale. Without adequate cost controls and billing administration it is too easy to lose track of resources on larger deployments not to mention how difficult it is to assign costs to our internal account codes.

• Julian Desert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately the tech admin who set up Azure has left our company. If you want to get paid at least allow domain admin to download invoices.

• Ashley Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree, this is causing us some serious headaches as only 1 person can download the invoices, which in an enterprise space is completely ridiculous. Please sort this out Microsoft.

Feedback and Knowledge Base