What additional services should Azure provide?

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database with scalability options similar to Google and Amazon.

2,328 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dave Bown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

123 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Josee M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disclaimer: I work for ACenterA Inc.

We have approached windows azure marketplace team with our MySQL offering, unfortunately we have not got feedback on Microsoft Marketplace, beside marketplace at this time is invite only.

Anyone that would be interested into our MySQL as a Service product may reach out to us directly ( support@acentera.com

In short, we spin off regular VM's and we configure and manage a regular MySQL instance.

• Scott Weigand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The MariaDB offering is interesting and tempting, however it still isn't an apples-to-apples replacement for ClearDB's offering (if I'm reading it correctly). ClearDB takes care of updates/upgrades, failover/HA/DR/GeoRep, and backup/recovery.

I'd like to see an Azure-Hosted & Supported MySQL platform, much like Azure SQL and what ClearDB is doing. I'm already paying for Jupiter on ClearDB, so money's no object.

• Joan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This ClearDB service sucks... only 4 connections allowed?? 20 MB??? WTF???

• Josiah Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MariaDB now offers their enterprise cluster for Azure. It is in the marketplace and is free to deploy, standard hosting cost apply.

• Jamal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst database on the planet, and so expensive, I have seen free hostings which come with faster database service than cleardb.

• Marco Schirrmeister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for a MySQL database cloud service.
    Also, I read here a comment "...I really liked the UI and Feel of Azure...". The Azure portal and tools are the worst thing ever. There is absolutely no consistency and the user experience is horrible.

Feedback and Knowledge Base