What additional services should Azure provide?

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database with scalability options similar to Google and Amazon.

2,325 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dave Bown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

123 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tim Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to move a large site in to Azure which would be perfect except from the lack of MySQL support other than ClearDB. My guess would be that Microsoft has a long, exclusive, contract with them.

• Paul Hale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to move 25+ WordPress sites into Azure PaaS and have them all use a single MySQL Server instance with each site having their own unique MySQL Database. ClearDB is not and never will be an option due to poor performance, dedicated downtime, hopeless support and outrageous pricing. I haven't given up on using Azure yet though and am wondering if we could use networked Docker Containers? Something like a container running MySQL, another running NginX as a reverse proxy and then multiple WordPress / PHP containers? Has anyone tried this?

• Joan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on... it cannot be that difficult for Microsoft to provide a proper MySQL database inside Azure... the ClearDB service sucks big time!

• Ryan Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is there no Microsoft response on the top rated idea in this marketplace?! Could someone at Azure PLEASE tell us where the status is or anything else useful? Is this a possibility? When?

• Juan Pelaez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MySql on @Azure using ClearDB: Worse error ever. Don't do it, no excuses, just don't do it.

• Bruno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ClearDB is ****. It's impossible to use it on production due to the lack of security, flexibility and limitations.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My experience of ClearDB was that iperformance was painfully slow. Surely it is in MS interests to provide a service at a similar level to SQL server given the platform independent approach offered by .net 5. For many MySQL is essential and they will switch to AWS.

• Dave O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Reliability of the ClearDB service is poor and so is their support.

We went with Azure because we thought it would provide a robust platform. However, ClearDB seems to be the lowest-common-denominator in the solution stack and is undermining our whole platform.

Support tickets for urgent issues (databases down) go unresponded to, as do tweets to @cleardb.

If MS can't provide a robust MySQL offering its time to jump ship to AWS.

• Lucian Daia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This service is essential for those of us working with MySQL.

When trying to convince our customers to move to the cloud, a lot of them will just go with AWS because of their RDS service - which is basically MySQL managed by Amazon. This is often the only reason for not choosing Azure.

Please do it for us, the open source people! :) There's a lot of us and Microsoft definitely knows how to develop a managed database service, why not seize this business opportunity?

• Greg Waugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been using ClearDB for several months now, and has been a very poor experience. Despite upgrading to a premium tier, we continue to have outages and support is pitiful.

Our service went down at 1:25AM ET this morning and is still down as of 4:45AM, and their support has gone completely unresponsive.

Azure needs a better option.

• Lee Hamrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was considering Azure, but looks like this issue with ClearDB is going to take Azure out of the running. Sorry MS.

• Chintan Shah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am unable to understand MS logic here. MySQL is the most demanded feature and MS has not even placed it Under Review yet. I love Azure and it's Interface but unless they provide full scale MySQL support I can't move nor does most of the other startups. Most of the companies need blog setup in Wordpress and Wordpress needs high performing MySQL to back it up. Please MS please listen to us. We love you but if you keep ignoring us like this. I don't see a reason to coming back to you.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! As an enterprise customer I really like to have all my security boundaries in one spot, not to mention billing and only having to learn one interface.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But with a VM you have to manage the updates and the security all on your own. It's not a big deal, but more comfortable using just a managed native mysql databse in Azure.

• Marc Kean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, but of a Monopoly just ClearDB, it's so clunky. Although a 99.99% SLA on a single VM very soon, can spin up you're own MySQL server

• Kamran Ayub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't even upgrade ClearDB through the new portal (or SendGrid for that matter)--would much rather have MS-managed MySQL.

• Lukas Danek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, give all of us late Christmas present and deploy China's MySQL to all regions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base