What additional services should Azure provide?

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database

Drop ClearDB and develop a native Azure MySQL compatible database with scalability options similar to Google and Amazon.

2,328 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dave Bown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

123 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been over 18 months and not a word from Microsoft on the #1 rated idea? There needs to be a better alternative than ClearDB.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ClearDB is the worst company I have worked with and their support is a joke! How can Azure continue to partner with them?

• Iskren Dimov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am dealing with quite a big DB (>5GB) . ClearDB is just not coping with that, and not to mention the plans that force us to pay $100 per month. Purely insane ....

• Mervyn P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of decent MySQL support is a non starter for many I am sure. ClearDB is terrible in every aspect and not just because it asks you to "update your information" every single time you want to "manage" your instance. The biggest issue is that you cannot create more instances in a single plan, this puts it outside of the realm of useful when paired with APP Services, if I want to installl 5 wordpress sites in one app service I still want to attach 1 DB service and simply have 5 schemas. There seems to be no way to configure replication to a local instance like Aurora either which means you are entirely in the hands of some 3rd party while you have to run mysqldump crons to get an offsite backup? Its not even remotely productionr ready. The number one thing holding back large chunks of the market is this excuse for MySQL support.

• Lars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a large number of clients still on Amazon because we can't get affordable first-party PaaS MySQL on Azure. That's really our only holdup.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst DB Provider ever. MS please do something about this mess. Zero support from ClearDB on anything I've ever requested. Only get a response when the support guys is done with his day job.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst DB Provider. Anytime you have a problem they blame it on Azure for for making changes without letting them know. Save yourself a lot of trouble and stress and pick a different provider.

• Johan Eliasson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we wait for Microsoft on this, I recommend using Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for MySQL/MariaDB.
        An European deployment with an app in Amsterdam (West Europe) and the RDS instance in Frankfurt (eu-central-1) would achieve a RTT of 8-10 ms which is acceptable in many scenarios.

• A. Mattas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ClearDB's pricing is too high and I'd rather deal 100% with Microsoft's support than have a 3rd party involved.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ClearDB is a stain on an otherwise great offering. 3 days and 15 support emails and I still don't have access to our database.

• Juan Martinez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our application was running on MySQL and we had to migrate out of MySQL becauase of clear db.

The issues we had were:
        - pricing, it is high ... we needed many connections (to do very simple requests) and here was no plan that would cut it unless we were talking hundreds of dollars a month...
        - pricing, it is billed by the month which does not make sense in a cloud application anymore
        - third party billing - by the month on a different invoice . This made it very messy to pay for services

The good
        - performance was good (we never had issues with performance)

We ended up setting up a mysql server IaaS for 10 bucks a month and it did a great job.

Once we had time, we moved away from MySQL completely and use Azure SQL.

So Microsoft achieved the goal (have people go to their azure offerings).

But how many people go to AWS instead?

Is it worth it to have customers jump all these hoops to get a decent MySQL service for their projects?

The lessons learned is to distrust third party offerings in Azure as there is no guarantee the offering is going to be good / price competitive / scalable / reliable / convenient.

It is a share, because I am sure there are many services which work well and offer great value

• Hank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just when I thought I wanted to make use of Azure this came up. Sucks I have to consider something else now.

• Sebastian de Mel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would argue this is one of the main reasons why AWS is the usual candidate for WordPress, Drupal etc. Sure, MS made contributions to Drupal core and there is a WordPress port Project Nami (that is awesome) but the ugly truth is that many of the themes and plugins have been poorly coded and hence don't work with Azure SQL even when they should.

Sure, you can deploy an IaaS instance of MySQL but thats hardly the point now is it :D One of the main reasons I like Azure is the PaaS and that I can focus on other things than looking after VM's. This is why the Azure SQL is a great service.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were about to use Azure to host our company website but the lack of reliable MySQL means it will now be hosted elsewhere.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't move to Azure because Microsoft insists on building a walled garden to prop up their database. Not converting all my software. Don't trust some weird third party.

Feedback and Knowledge Base