What additional services should Azure provide?

FTP as a service

FTP is used a log for integration. It's often a common need and a common customer request. I would like to have an FTP/FTPS offering that would be HA & Auto scalable (with several pricing tier).
- A simple one with basic security : should cover most need (TLS / encryption at rest)
-A more advanced one maybe with Azure AD integration

Storage should be HA (Using Azure Blob or Azure Files).
I would like just to have a PaaS service and do not care about the infrastructure.

Future feature like : Integration to Azure Network, Private endpoint (no public endpoint exposed), can come after.
With Azure Web Apps there is already something similar. The idea would be to have a v1 that could reuse the same bits to quickly release a preview & test.

The goal would be to leverage this service as a data source for Integration (Azure Logic Apps, Azure Functions, Azure Stream Analytics, Azure Data Factory) out of the box. And that could unlock a lot of new scenarios.

584 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
David Coppet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Steve Culshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeap, second, third, whatever the need for FTP as a Service, so we get FaaS :-)

Plus SFTP as well

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to use a service like this. I currently have to maintain multiple FTP VMs for this purpose.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important service for most of the customers. I am not sure how Microsoft is not supporting it yet. Amazon cloud is always one step ahead of Azure.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would use this for sure, but would prefer a fully-managed service (SaaS) vs. a PaaS offering. Either one would be better than running it ourselves. :)

• Alexandre GIRAUD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now, that's ready on AWS, u need really to accelerate this. Already have some Azure customer planning to migrate Azure VM FTP to SFTP AWS ...

• PJ Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a company that mainly deals with aging corporate clients who will only send automated data to us via scripted FTP uploads. It's what they require, we have to follow suit. This is our only VM, all other services are SaaS on Azure.

• Benjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm working in a very important Banking customer implementing a big solution in Azure and we need to import big files for processing data. It is incredible that Microsoft is not providing a PaaS/SaaS solution for a simple SFTP.

• Ste Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There have been a few times I wished I could set up a cheap and easy FTP endpoint for customers. I suppose the workaround is to open a new web app, but the connection details are a bit obtuse to give out.

• Embers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wholeheartedly agree, FTP is bread and butter for most businesses, yet the effort to setup a high availability SFTP service in Azure is quite involved requiring considerable lengthy configuration of VM's and port ranges. FTP as a service would be a popular service if you could simply create a service that offered HA, SFTP and user managment / folder permissions.

Storage should be to standard Azure Storage so can easily be integrated with using existing library / backed up etc..

Feedback and Knowledge Base