What additional services should Azure provide?

Make it simple to set up an SFTP server

One click set up of an SFTP service hosted by Azure (no dedicated VM required).

469 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dylan Nicholson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mariusz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've now launched _both_ SFTP and FTP/S for Azure Blob Storage, our basic plan is free forever https://docevent.io I hope this alleviates some of the integration issues people have had :)

• Vinod Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gone through the lengthy process of setting up SSH service on Windows VM. SFTPaaS would be a lot better

• EagleEyes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a SFTP PaaS solution would have solved weeks of integration proving and testing on my current project and would have kept the design a lot simpler, so please allow this to be created for PaaS, as stated elsewhere, creating a VM (so IaaS) for a pure PaaS environment breaks the model the customer is moving to.

• Mark Pleasance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be very useful to have a SFTPaaS. Creating a VM for a FTP(/SFTP) service seems wasteful.

• Embers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An FTP server is bread and butter for most SMEs e.g. almost everyone has at least one. We have been waiting since 2012 for a secure FTP as a service offering thinking it can't be too much longer and it amazes me how Microsoft time and time again fails on providing / getting the basics right most SMEs need.

Managed high availability SFTP server with security managed through Azure AD and storage either to or automatically backed by Azure storage.

Easy money for MS and reduction in friction for SMEs trying to move from traditional hosting companies to Azure.

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can't vote it because it's "moved". So now what?! FTP/SFTP as a Service would be really useful! We don't want to set up a VM only for FTP/SFTP.

• StillLaughing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex, it appears to have been moved under "Additional Services" but because it has a status of "Moved" it's not appearing under the list of suggestions and you don't seem to be able to vote on it any more.
    I don't really understand but it seem effectively closed..

• LaughingJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion should probably be in the "Additional Services" category.
    I quite agree with this - SFTP would be a really good way of getting files in and out of Azure in a secure way with good interoperability. Ideally PaaS rather than having to set up a VM.
    I can foresee a few useful things like the files being stored in blob storage. Event triggering (queue?) when a file is received - making it possible to trigger a function, logging to Azure tables etc. etc.

• Ian Pettman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gets my vote too, or a least a kb article with best practice on creating a web service to provide this...

Feedback and Knowledge Base