How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

AADB2C: Send email invitation for new user to sign up

I would like the ability to trigger an email invitation be sent to new users for our web application that I want to authenticate with AADB2C. In our multi-tenant design, each tenant will be responsible for adding their own users to their tenant. I would like the admin of the tenant to be able to send an email invitation to the new user and then that user can complete the sign-up process.

330 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nate Boettcher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • foobar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a strikingly obvious use case, that's how it's done everywhere else. This is what users expect. I'm astonished it's not available in AD B2C. This flaw undermines my trust in the maturity of the product as I'm evaluating available options.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a state government, and the ability to send invitations to our users and allow them to register with a code would be great. We do this now, but have spun up our own solution.

• Frank Lores-Penalver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May 2019, still nothing... This is a very important feature. Currently the only other options is custom policies, that as the documentation says clearly, should only be implemented by identity pros...

• JTW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AWS Cognito is able to do this, and even provides the ability to customize the email template within the AWS console... Not sure why Azure is so slow on supporting this very basic functionality... I'll be recommending that customers use AWS.

• Lars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update? This is genuinely important. I need one place to go for customer identity, regardless of whether it's self-service sign-up or customer-managed (multi-tenant AAD).

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2+ years and we are still waiting on this feature? Is there anyway to find out if this is legitimately being looked at?

• Bruddah_Iz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you did not have a send invite - If I could create the user in some sort of pre-allocated state based on email and then let them sign up and fill out or confirm the information . This would be for self asserted fields.

• F P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very important feature if you don't want random people signing up to your B2C directory. Please give us an update.

• Bruddah_Iz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I cannot believe that this real world scenario is not built into B2C given that every piece of the puzzle exists and woks in B2C right now. My Need: I want to send an invitation to Sign Up. It would be like a Sign-Up-By-Policy-ID function. The critical non obvious detail is this... When we create an invitation to a Guest right now we get back the user guid ID – we then use this user id to set their permissions and app access so that they are fully provisioned when we send the invitation. I need the same feature for Sign-Up users. When I send the Sign-Up invitation I want the userID so I can finish the provision. If they never sign up and do not complete the account validation I am fine with that. The point is I can use the invitation to create a guid user id reservation to complete the onboarding in the AD B2C repo.

• Jay Van der Zant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Webhook would be better. This request is an application concern, not a B2C concern. The application should listen for new-user events and act accordingly, i.e. send out welcome emails.

• Lars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just port the AAD B2B invite & redemption logic over? That solves the multitenancy problem so elegantly!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base