How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Merge office365 and live accounts that use the same email address

I use both Azure/msdn and office 365
I already had an msdn account mvdl@our-company.com ( Windows Live account) and our company recently migrated to Office 365 which resulted in a mvdl@our-company.com Office365 account.

Wich is causing a lot of grieve when switching between asure web portal / msdn web portal / office 365 web portal

Even when I have no portals open, I cant switch accounts. I need to explicity open the portal that I last logged in to. Log out, and then I can switch accounts.

And having both office 365 portal and Azure portal open at the same time is impossible.

1,656 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ToddTodd shared a merged idea: link an organization account to Microsoft account  ·   · 
    Josh RiversJosh Rivers shared a merged idea: Microsoft Account Overload  ·   · 

Our team owns the Microsoft account and Azure AD sign-in/sign-up experiences. We know that some experiences are confusing for some of you and we’re working hard to simplify them.

More specifically:

1) We know a number of users have multiple accounts with Microsoft, some they created themselves and others they got from their work or school. Today, using multiple accounts in Office 365, Azure.com or VisualStudio.com requires you sign out of one account and sign in to another. To address this we’re building the ability to be signed in with more than one account at the same time, in the same browser. This should start showing up on Microsoft web properties later this year.

2) There’s a small number of Microsoft business services that only support “Live ID” accounts, and not organizational accounts that are used for other business services like Office 365. Examples include MSDN and Volume Licensing. We’re working with these teams to add support for organizational accounts. This will allow everyone who already has an account they use with Office 365 to use the same account to sign in to these services.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new @outlook.com address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

Keep the great feedback coming and please let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We’ll continue to monitor this thread as we refine our plans.

Ariel

107 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John MorenoJohn Moreno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using a different sign in string may be the "simplest" solution, but it's not what people want. As the title says, they want the accounts merged, and for there to be only one account. My situation is exactly the same as the original poster: had prior "business" account for MSDN, and now have a "business" Office 365 account. Both are strictly employment related, and really should be one account.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

C'mon Microsoft, get your head out of your backside and fix this. There are 3 years of threads below!

• Shankar ShashiShankar Shashi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh good to see there are many having same issue. I have the same issue with my Microsoft ID login and Office 365 login. There is no option to transfer Active Action Pack Susbscription ID between accounts. I have contacted support.

• Carles Company SolerCarles Company Soler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More feedback: Now it shows the account selection only in certain cases. If I login to a live Id (for example when I enter the azure portal) and then I login to a page with an AzureAD that does have the live Id account as external user it lets me select another account to login. If, instead I login to the live Id page and then I go to a page whose AzureAD does not have the live Id I get a nasty AzureAD error:

Información técnica adicional:
        Correlation ID: 1fe89636-553a-4fe7-8254-432cfe32cea2
        Timestamp: 2016-04-06 09:51:08Z
        AADSTS50020: User account '***@***' from identity provider 'live.com' does not exist in tenant 'xxxx' and cannot access the application 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' in that tenant. The account needs to be added as an external user in the tenant first. Sign out and sign in again with a different Azure Active Directory user account.

• Joshua PetrykJoshua Petryk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a startup this is really biting us hard. We're trying to use MPN benefits to get O365 seats - which gives us our "organizational" AD but we can't then use Azure AD domains for Visual Studio team services or apply our Azure credits for internal development as a team - so now I'm forced to have people on the team use individual microsoft accounts? Doesn't make sense - makes me not want to bother with Azure at this point.

• Neil G.Neil G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an update on this? We need real solutions related to the Passsport.net EASI accounts (email as sign-in) which conflicts with Azure AD domains. We have services like: MSDN, Microsoft Partner, MSDN-Azure Subscription benefits, Microsoft Virtual Academy.

I don't want to be the one to discover issues when changing your LiveID login and see what happens to your older Visual Studio Online access and discover that Dev's lose access to source code control.

If the official solution is going to be Change the Microsoft Account to be a new non-conflicting login, you need to create a detailed prescriptive guidance for each conflicting service.
        What is the impact of changing of the "I-owned" user login to a new login on these services?
        Is there a way to backup the source prior to change?
        What happens to Windows phone 8 and new mobile devices backup into OneDrive - which changes first - the phone login or the onedrive. How do you keep them in sync over multiple devices?

Thank you!

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using VisualStudioOnline and Office365, which apparently means that I have two different accounts with the same email address. It's just taken me a day and two support calls to Microsoft to be able to buy some new MSDN subscriptions because of this issue. The irony is that these MSDN subscriptions are for Java & PHP developers I'm moving over to work on .NET. Their first experience of the Microsoft world is this total farce. Please fix this ASAP.

• Phillip SmitPhillip Smit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How frustrating!!

I take 15 minutes trying to access my Azure network because my live account conflicts with 365!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Admin,
        Is this work still ongoing? Honestly, I just want an easy way to move my OneNote/OneDrive assets from my original Windows Live account (me@company.com, created several years before Office365/Outlook.com company migration) to the new company Office365/Outlook.com account (me@company.com). OneNote looks like the hardest move. I've changed my original me@company.com via the Add Alias/Promote to Primary to otherme@outlook.com, So I guess now the remaining step is to get all the OneNote/Drive assets moved over to my company's me@company.com account instead.

You guys should really have a "Hey, you have 2 accounts with the same email! Would you like to merge compatible services?" wizard. Which could extend even to accounts with different email addresses. Like some other services allow you to do...

• Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, I have noticed that when I login with my Live ID and I have already signed in (in the selection mode), that the sign in process has me click my name... it then goes through like 5 or 6 screens/redirects (!) and then lands back on the very page that had me select to begin with. Selecting it a second time does the trick (after the aforementioned redirect track race).

• Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Me Too" ... how entirely frustrating is it that MSFT has had an identity system going back for almost 10 years and they still cannot get it right? I have had my Live ID for over a decade and OH THE PAINFUL STORIES I PERCHANCE CAN REGALE. But I will not. :P

To Team Azure's credit, I have gone through and have cleared out my Azure account and have tried to move everything from my personal (live id) to my business (office 365, with also a live id -- DOH). It was less painful than I expected, as MSFT has such a history of completely getting identity wrong (see above).

The only thing I have encountered is that when I attempt to assign a Co-administrator to my Azure account, it selects my Live ID business (WRONG!) instead of my Office 365 (correct). I even have my Office 365-connected Active Directory linked to my Azure account and it is still selecting the Live ID... uhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggh. Seriously. :P Everything else has worked pretty well though. Surprising. :)

• Mark PooleMark Poole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So here I am as a result of Googling this multi-account problem, which seems to stem back years.
        This looks like an Azure forum so surely all of this **** is getting fed back to Microsoft?
        I can't believe that in 2016, Microsoft doesn't allow you to do something so simple. This needs to be escalated. I don't want a work-around either.
        Thank God I didn't BING this problem, I can't even imagine where I'd end up.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem too. I can't delete my personal microsoft account - such a total grief and wish I never set one up (the pains of having a windows phone...)

• DougDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys need a call to Jesus meeting with all of the various identity teams because this will be your demise, with Microsoft AD being a possible cherry, that is really sad.

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These dual accounts are a real fuster cluck. How do you signup for O365 if you want to use a new Microsoft email account that does not exist as you are trying to create it?

• Bob ParkerBob Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have our office 365 accounts as MyCompany.onmicrosoft.com. We work with many other vendors/partners that have their own SharePoint accounts. None of them like to use our SharePoint for project collaboration because they are typically logged in with their org SP account and get Access Denied error as soon as they browse to our SharePoint. We have to teach them to use a different browser or Incognito mode. This is such a mess!! It should be smart enough to realize that the other Sharepoint site needs different org credentials and show them a login screen instead of access denied error. Again, so frustrating. Why doesn't Microsoft just buy Slack for collaboration?!

• Randy WalkerRandy Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@david

If you have an MSDN account (not part of the MPN) you can indeed add your office credentials to your MSDN account, but you must first have a live account.

I have seen one other organization have their own AD synchronized with Microsoft, but I've forgotten the acronym for the syncing. But essentially they login to everything with their AD account credentials.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm faced with the same issue, the recommendation to add a second alias doesn't work, the account already exists and you can't delete the primary account without adding a new account.

How soon will there be a way to migrate existing MSDN benefits to organizational tenants?!

We NEED this!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base