How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Merge office365 and live accounts that use the same email address

I use both Azure/msdn and office 365
I already had an msdn account mvdl@our-company.com ( Windows Live account) and our company recently migrated to Office 365 which resulted in a mvdl@our-company.com Office365 account.

Wich is causing a lot of grieve when switching between asure web portal / msdn web portal / office 365 web portal

Even when I have no portals open, I cant switch accounts. I need to explicity open the portal that I last logged in to. Log out, and then I can switch accounts.

And having both office 365 portal and Azure portal open at the same time is impossible.

724 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ToddTodd shared a merged idea: link an organization account to Microsoft account  ·   · 
    Josh RiversJosh Rivers shared a merged idea: Microsoft Account Overload  ·   · 

Our team owns the Microsoft account and Azure AD sign-in/sign-up experiences. We know that some experiences are confusing for some of you and we’re working hard to simplify them.

More specifically:

1) We know a number of users have multiple accounts with Microsoft, some they created themselves and others they got from their work or school. Today, using multiple accounts in Office 365, Azure.com or VisualStudio.com requires you sign out of one account and sign in to another. To address this we’re building the ability to be signed in with more than one account at the same time, in the same browser. This should start showing up on Microsoft web properties later this year.

2) There’s a small number of Microsoft business services that only support “Live ID” accounts, and not organizational accounts that are used for other business services like Office 365. Examples include MSDN and Volume Licensing. We’re working with these teams to add support for organizational accounts. This will allow everyone who already has an account they use with Office 365 to use the same account to sign in to these services.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new @outlook.com address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

Keep the great feedback coming and please let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We’ll continue to monitor this thread as we refine our plans.

Ariel

130 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am apparently logged in on onenote with a personal account but onedrive insists that I'm on a work account, nothing is syncing, no option for me to sign out of personal account in OneNote. Microsoft actually has rocks in their brains. Need a personal account? Go create a ******* new email like a normal person.

MS is actually ********. This issue is a massive annoyance and is so ******* annoying.

• M4MurdererM4Murderer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the 365 Management Console there should be a unification option throughout the different Microsoft Services to consolidate into one. As the domain name ownership is demonstrated, the ability to query against the other Product/Service Groups and discover accounts with the same FQDN that is identical to the Managed Domain in 365 from there a mass import/unification should be an acceptable option.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the confusion is emmence my live account is different from my office 365 account and I cannot seem to to homogenise the experience. I sign in to my computers using one account and I use office as a different account. My calendars wont allow me to use skype for business, (no permission to use calendars) Edge browser wont load and Excel is glitchy. This is an Utter shambles

• CKCK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this (Q. How can Visual Studio subscribers configure their Work or School account for use with Azure and Visual Studio Team Services?) indicate that the problem has been resolved? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/dn531048.aspx

Or do issues still persist after accounts have been linked, as the instructions in the hyperlink above detail?

.....notice to vote or comment they don't offer the ability to login with your Microsoft account!

• Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hahahaha... Preach, Anonymous, Preach!!! Surely it must give you some sense of confidence that this started back in June of last year and there hasn't been a single update since? ;) ;) ;) That's 14 months without a single update or checkin from the admin. Might as well be a OneDrive feature. That entire product group REALLY knows how not to care.

Incredible - I'm signed in as anonymous and I am offered to signout!
        Exactly demonstrates just how messed up your login system actually is!!!
        Listen to your customers!!! 3 years of complaints and your login system only gets worse!!!!!!

Renaming the account does not work!
        Renaming the account is NOT what people want.
        I only want one account and get prompted constantly.
        Your system sux so bad it could not be worse on purpose. Oh ya, it is on purpose.
        Fire the person that designed and argues for this horrible mess.

Your login system is the biggest piece of garbage on the entire planet. FIX IT? DO YOU NOT HEAR YOUR CUSTOMERS? IT IS A BLOODY NIGHTMARE!!! FIT IT!!! Gee which email address do you want? My personal, work, school, IT, MSDN??? That's the point! THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME!!!

• Matt IijimaMatt Iijima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your login system with Azure, O365, and Live seriously sucks. I am totally confused on what login goes to which service. I am also getting prompted everytime i try to login to Azure asking if I should use a personal or work account with the same email. I tried following your instructions to setup a new primary alias using a ***@outlook.com address. I did this and attempted to change that to my primary alias but it failed multiple times, then gave me an error stating I've exceeded the number of times and must wait a week before attempting again. This system needs a complete revamping and I'm still in no better state than before.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new @outlook.com address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

But I can't change my emailadres :(

• Edgar SanchezEdgar Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any further development on this?

I currently have two Microsoft accounts with the same username/email address since I use OneDrive (consumer version so that I can provide guest links, download links, external editors access, etc) and I use OneDrive for Business for internal purposes.

I don't like having to switch between the two accounts over and over.

We would like to merge a live account into a newly created Office 365 environment. We have chosen Office 365 because its applications and handling is similar to the live webmail etc. - but ironically it seems we cannot merge the accounts now.

• Mark CMark C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having similar issues. I have a azure AD account synched to on prem AD for accessing office 365 (new). prior to his, I was using my work email for msdn and visual studio and office 2013. now when I try to do anything from Sites with the office 2013 installed on my computer, I can't open the files (for exampled Excel). I can only do it with Excel online, which is okay but will cause some issues when we roll it out to the rest of the organization. I have tried to update my MSDN subscription to use an outlook.com account, but it errors out with a reference number and a message to contact support (which I have done but have not heard back yet). I haven't tried to do anything with Visual Studio online yet. very frustrating.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base