How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Merge office365 and live accounts that use the same email address

I use both Azure/msdn and office 365
I already had an msdn account mvdl@our-company.com ( Windows Live account) and our company recently migrated to Office 365 which resulted in a mvdl@our-company.com Office365 account.

Wich is causing a lot of grieve when switching between asure web portal / msdn web portal / office 365 web portal

Even when I have no portals open, I cant switch accounts. I need to explicity open the portal that I last logged in to. Log out, and then I can switch accounts.

And having both office 365 portal and Azure portal open at the same time is impossible.

769 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MarcoMarco shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ToddTodd shared a merged idea: link an organization account to Microsoft account  ·   · 
    Josh RiversJosh Rivers shared a merged idea: Microsoft Account Overload  ·   · 

Our team owns the Microsoft account and Azure AD sign-in/sign-up experiences. We know that some experiences are confusing for some of you and we’re working hard to simplify them.

More specifically:

1) We know a number of users have multiple accounts with Microsoft, some they created themselves and others they got from their work or school. Today, using multiple accounts in Office 365, Azure.com or VisualStudio.com requires you sign out of one account and sign in to another. To address this we’re building the ability to be signed in with more than one account at the same time, in the same browser. This should start showing up on Microsoft web properties later this year.

2) There’s a small number of Microsoft business services that only support “Live ID” accounts, and not organizational accounts that are used for other business services like Office 365. Examples include MSDN and Volume Licensing. We’re working with these teams to add support for organizational accounts. This will allow everyone who already has an account they use with Office 365 to use the same account to sign in to these services.

3) Some users have two Microsoft-powered accounts with the same sign in string: one they got from their organization (when the organization uses Azure AD account) and one they created themselves (for example to access MSDN or VL). For these users, the sign-in experience to Office and Azure can be confusing. If you’re in this situation, the simplest solution is to rename the account you created yourself. You can use another consumer email address or get a new @outlook.com address. And later his year, you’ll also be able to use your phone number as a sign in string. Longer term, we’re considering different options to remove this overlap.

Keep the great feedback coming and please let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We’ll continue to monitor this thread as we refine our plans.

Ariel

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chat FakerChat Faker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have in our company three acoounts with the same user principal name
        1)
        Company AD account
        2)
        Company Office 365 Account synchronized with AD account
        3)
        Microsoft Live ID used with company e-mail address
        our standard user skills are not good enough to handle this complicated situation so that at the end of the day we are paying for 1000+ Office 365 licenses without being able to use the features

• SpenSpen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another challenge is trying to get users to log in to Windows 8.x or Windows 10 using their UPN (in an AAD/o365 synched environment) when their UPN matches their Live ID. It will then always try to login using their Live ID instead of their Office 365 ID while they're all on business devices. Now users have to login to Windows with their Pre-Windows 2000 login names (DOMAIN\username) and then login again with their UPN (user.name@domain.net) to connect to Office 365 services. It's really a pain! Users are complaining about this each and every day.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Years after this thread was stated this not only remains a major issue, but it got worse, not better, because now we are talking about three Microsoft accounts that can have the same email address, not two.

As many people upgrading to Windows 10 have noticed, if they sign in to Skype with their Microsoft account, they get a different identity than the one they used to have by logging in with the Skype name (associated to the same email address). Their reaction is "My contacts have disappeared!"

Then there is of course the "work or school" vs. "Microsoft" account. It confuses even techies, who used their work email address to get a "Microsoft" account, and have to use the same email address, but two different passwords, depending on whether they access Skype or Skype for Business (Lync)!

Can it be more confusing than this?

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am enrolled in school which alleges free office 365 but nothing works , not word, not excel, not access. and this has been years and you wont help. ccsf

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google Apps had the same problem years ago You could have "personal" google account with the same email address as your "business" Google Apps account so when signing into Google it was asking you "is this personal or work?".

They solved it by merging all personal services and data into the business account and any duplicate data or services that could be merged were converted into a new account in the format <email address with % instead of @>@gtempaccount.com

From then on, when you signed into your Google account with your email address is was always your business account.

It worked for them, why not do the same fix Microsoft?

• Hai Thanh NguyenHai Thanh Nguyen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make everything easy for your fellow users by making everything in 1 place such as Google Apps for Work, people can still use their consumer product beside GAfW. Please? Because I really like Exchange doesn't mean I would like to create another personal account to use with Microsoft consumers such as Xbox, Microsoft services, etc...

• Sipke SchoorstraSipke Schoorstra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an Office 365 account, and created a Microsoft account using the exact same address. This works, but then got tired of being asked all the time whether I'm signing in with a Work or School account, or a personal account, so I figured I'd update my personal account by adding another email alias and made it the primary one. That didn't make a difference, so I thought: let's try removing the alias that is the same string as my Office 365 account. Well, that caused me to lose access to all of my Visual Studio Online accounts, as they are linked by the string I removed. And now I'm ******; I cannot add my Office 365 string back as an alias to my personal account. Terrible, terrible experience.

• John WayneJohn Wayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we there yet? Meaning, has this issue been resolved? You've got to love the "keep the great feedback coming and let us know if you finds other sources of account confusion. We'll continue to monitor this threat as we refine our plans." The joke's on us, it doesn't say that they'll solve the issue

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Happened to step into this thread. Seems like it's not yet resolved. ****!

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah. I'm not sure who's more confused. Me or Office 365. This is a pain. I wish I could just delete the one account and start fresh. OneNote will not sync between my devices. Actually wont let me open any notebooks on my phone. Nothing works.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base