How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Enable legacy Windows Server Active Directory functionality for compute services

I want use this Windows Azure Active Directory services to standard compute services to remove complecation.
for example, we need Active Directory for building failover cluster services IaaS. I don't want to make DC only for that...

269 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Daiyu HatakeyamaDaiyu Hatakeyama shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Abel PalmaAbel Palma shared a merged idea: Active Directory as DC  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex BalcanquallAlex Balcanquall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Robert, the DS needs to be more like classic DC. We are an ISV that expects to see common partition objects and attibutes - they are not there so our solution fails. Happy to have deeper conversation with you.

• Will EastburyWill Eastbury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful, if you could just create a cloud domain and have it present as if it was an on-premise windows AD service, then join users and computers to it in your cloud.

Kind of like a PaaS Windows Active Directory. This would be a killer feature IMHO.

• GIRAUD AlexandreGIRAUD Alexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Why colsed this feedback ? The idea here, is to able to join VM to ADDS without use VM for create ADDS. The best goal is to use WAAD to create an ADDS, and able to join VM in this WAAD instead of ADDS.

• GIRAUD AlexandreGIRAUD Alexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what my customers need. In fact, this suggestion explain that we can use aad to become an Azure Active Director Domain Controler. In this way, no need to deploy adds on virtual macines, and vm can become member of ad provided by aad.
        So, it mean that many specifications are needed and can take a longvtime (dns, user management, gpo,...)

• Michael TeperMichael Teper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can use Azure AD for user authentication, but we can't use it for domain services. In other words, I can't set up VM's, secure directories, services, etc. using Azure AD. For that, I have to install one or more separate VMs to server as Domain Controllers, and Azure does not make that easy at all (just look at the long tail of comments to the official web page that describes how to do this).

Feedback and Knowledge Base