How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

AADB2C: include username in JWT claims

AADB2C supports either email addresses or usernames for accounts. If a directory uses usernames, you don't get that username as a claim in the JWT. This means an extra trip to Azure must be made to retrieve the username. Please consider including the username in the JWT.

89 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt Harrington shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
unplanned  ·  AdminAzure AD Team (Product Owner, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

This is currently not on our roadmap. You can retrieve this value by making a call through the Graph API. If this is needed for your scenarios, please continue voting and we will review at a later date.

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We added an extension attribute to the user to store the SignInName in order to avoid having to make another call to the Graph API.

• Gaute Sanson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add. It seems strange that the user name that the end user inputs during the log-in should not be available further downstream in the same way as the other claims.

• Thomas Nolan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. Spent hours wondering why username wasn't a returned value when retrieving a token. Did not even cross my mind that it wouldn't be included and another trip to get the username was needed.

• James Griffin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please add this, so much unneccesary code in my application just to retrieve a username, and means making another unneccesary HTTP call for each time a user signs in. I'm shocked that this is unplanned and makes username based local accounts almost unusable

• Markus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is outrageous. Am I supposed to use the OID in in Applications to link users?!

• Bill Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're set up to use email for the login AND you access that the first email in the EMAILS claim that comes back is probably their login name, then you can extract it on the client side.

And that's silly.

To do it right, there needs to be an actual claim that contains the login name. This would work for all scenarios.

I had to make a workaround for this - I access the graph during login. It works, but it adds an extra 500ms to each login and I have to do it server side if I want a solution that can choose either user name or email.

I know it's not planned, but it should be.

• NotSomeoneAtMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really surprising and not surprising at the same time with MS.

Who would have thought that it would be difficult in 2018 for an Enterprise ID Mgmt software to send back username in response to a successful request to create one!?

I was able to do hello <%username%> in 1998 without jumping hoops.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen to what Lucas said, please have this feature ASAP to return 'user name' in the token. It's part of the reason customers are opting for B2C, non managed ID and to have that credential passed to their apps.

• Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such an obvious feature, can you please add ASAP! When you authenticate with a username you should have access to that value in the token!

• MWM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, required. (This kind of thing seems fairly obvious, Microsoft - maybe you could do with some extra sanity-check steps during initial development where this type of thing is much cheaper to add?)

• Mike Rousos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If username is a method of authenticating users (along with email address), then it ought to be retrievable as a claim

• Dave Radcliffe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it incredible that Azure B2C is there to authenticate users, but then doesn't tell us which user it authenticated!!!
    This field needs adding immediately.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base