How can we improve Azure Active Directory?

Machine Rename - Azure AD

Win10 machines joined to azure AD - if they get renamed this isn't reflected in Azure AD or Intune.

218 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jan 2019, requesting this feature to be implemented as it's a real pain that devices won't automatically update PC Names in Azure AD compared to local AD.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news - at the moment we have to logon first with Microsoft account, rename laptop, reboot, add to Azure AD, login with Azure account and remove the unwanted Microsoft account. Plus removing the Microsoft account always leaves the profile in C:\Users requiring manual delete.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If your using AutoPilot and Windows 10 1809 Intune can rename the device using Contoso-%SERIAL% or Fabrikam-%RAND:5%. Also, if you are not using AutoPilot or earlier version of Windows 10 you can do this through PowerShell now that you can assign PS command to devices and not just users. I rename over 500+ devices with PowerShell and Intune without issues. Granted it may not happen overnight as the device has to check in.

• Kazzan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure AD Team: So, based on your comment. When someone rename managed device, it will not be renamed? He must go to Company Portal? If yes, can we disable renaming in control panel?

• MikaelJones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it could be initiated by the Admin from Azure AD / PS and then the client performs it on next reboot it would be even better!

• MikaelJones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though I agree with some posts that the actual computer name is not as important in the new era of cloud management where more revolve around the user, this is a must! I can imagine the confusion when someone renames a computer and the name is nowhere to be found in Azure AD.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a real administrative nightmare to have to rename a PC, rmove from AD then re-add it. Surely there is a powesrhell script to do this????

• Kevin Kaminski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Computer naming can be very expensive for a customer to move away from. I personally agree that computer naming schemes are the work of the devil but when you look at all the legacy processes and systems attached to the computer name you start to realize that this can be a large effort across different systems even end-user applications to make the change.

• ON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@James King : let me play devil's advocate : the idea is to no longer play with computer names, as names can be freely changed by endusers or employees.

The old days where computers names would need to be unique in LDAP-based AD, otherwise they would overwrite each other, are things of the past.

Instead, my understanding is that everything is now mainly shifted to the user-based self-service. So either the "Associated user" of the device go himself to the online Bitlocker portal (https://support.microsoft.com/help/4026181/windows-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key) with his own creds, or the IT admin goes to "Azure AD/Users&Groups/All Users", enter the UPN, select the user, go to Devices, and find the device in the list. And the key is there.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just started on this. New install of W10 1709 using VLSC ISO on USB stick. Joined ADD at end of setup. PC has DESKTOP-*** name which you can see in Azure portal. Rename PC locally to something more friendly and the name propagates to Azure soon after. We have Intune for Education, if that makes a difference. Our network is around 150 existing PCs, with a trial of 15 using ADD instead of local domain.

• James King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to keep a manual list of all "DESKTOP-xxxxxx" names, along with their subsequent renamed friendly names, in order to track down Bitlocker keys. Seems like a major security oversight.

• Stefan Holste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rename should be possible from within AAD Powershell or prepolutated fields which then could be used by AutoPilot to rename the device as intended.

• John Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Renaming is kind of essential since join AD is part of OBE. It should be addressed and fixed. Life would be much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kind of a key sceneario especially since Join Ad is part of first box experience ... renaming while disruptive for reboot is key. Totally understand most IT pros are doing different imaging options but small biz would use this more

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base