Azure Active Directory

Welcome to the Azure Active Directory suggestions and feedback site! We love hearing from you. If you have suggestions, please submit an idea or vote up an idea. We are monitoring the site actively.

Thank you for joining our community and helping improve Azure AD!

Wehave a new log in experience integrated with Azure AD, and we stronglyrecommend you log in with your Azure AD (Office 365) account. If yourUserVoice account is the same email address as your Azure AD account, yourprevious activities will be automatically mapped to your Azure AD account.  You can read more here for details: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure-Active-Directory-Identity/Putting-customers-first-for-f...

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Notification to eligable members

At Microsoft 365/Azure AD are many predefined notifications set to tenantadmins/global admins as the default recipients (Examples: predefined Alert Policies at S&C Center, Billing notifications, etc). If all members of that role are eligible and currently no member has that role, then it can’t happen that a notification can reach anyone. So please change this behavior that eligible members of a role will get that notification by default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PIM not updating Yammer admin, and removes user when manually added to yammer admin once delegation ends.

Issue1. When I Activate PIM role Global Admin, it does not add me to the Yammer admin group.

Issue2. When I get manually added to the Yammer admin-- PIM will remove me once delegation ends.

Q. Is there a way to make it so Yammer admin is not affected by PIM or can be toggled? (the manual admins that are added in yammer, not the ones parented in from being Global admins)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. PIM - Allow permanent activation through PIM

Our organization uses PIM to manage privileged access, as of now temporary elevation of 24 hours is what possible. We would like to allow permanent access to the privileges like allow access up to a year. After which they can request for it again if they are eligible for it.

This simplifies our process instead of telling process X for permanent access and Process Y for permanent access..

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. End User to see Azure AD PIM approver details

Hi ,

In Azure AD PIM can we track whose the approver. I'm looking it from a end user perspective because when he activates his role it says pending for approval.

How to check who are the approvers and so that he can chase after the approver ? Ping the approver and get his request approved.

I don't see this option in Azure AD PIM. I understand as an Admin we can see who are the approvers but how will end user see where the request is pending at ?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Send Microsoft Service emails to Elligible Global Admins

We recently bought new Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses. An email from the Microsoft Online Services Team informing us of the availablity of these licenses in out tenant was sent to all 'Assigned' Global Administrators. But not to the PIM-managed elligible Global Admins.

Ideally we would like to have all Global Admins managed by PIM, excluding only the emergency access accounts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support PIM for service principals

We apply and update our Azure infrastructure through a CI workflow with ARM templates. To do this the CI authenticates with a service principal.

We often deploy resource-group wide or subscription-wide deployments which require Owner or Contributor permissions to apply ARM templates. To up the security we would like support for PIM both through the CLI and for service principals.

This way we can tell something is wrong if suddenly our CI is assigned the "owner" role and we have not run a CI job for a while.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Admin Consent Required for Basic PIM API Scenarios

According to the docs, the permissions required to even perform basic scenarios (list my eligible roles, active a role) require admin consent. Can the API be improved to require less consent? I use PIM quite a bit and the portal experience can be painfully slow, I'd really like to automate it with the API.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make Azure AD role activation in PIM faster

Currently activating an Azure AD role such as Global Admin or User Admin in Privileged Identity Management (PIM) takes 15+ minutes to fully activate (this time starts after following the step to sign-out). Even after logging out and back in again, the role will display as active in the Azure AD overview blade, but when trying to take an action such as updating a user license (in the Office 365 portal) or update an App configuration in the Azure AD Portal, the action will fail claiming access denied. After 15-30 minutes, the role finally comes fully active with no notification…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make sure that in some situations Eligible users are selectable

In some other parts of Azure AD, you can only select users if they are currently activated in their role. F.e. the Admin Consent reviewers are only selectable if they have the necessary roles permanent, or are activated at that time. It would be nice, that for these kind of situations you can select all the users eligible for the role as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make PIM audit more robust. Should be able to filter on all of the key categories (for example, filter on Global Administrator approvals)

Make PIM audit filtering more robust. Should be able to filter on all of the key categories (for example, ability to create a filter for Global Administrator approvals).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Eliminate delays when activating the SharePoint Administrator role in PIM.

Currently it can take up to 1 hour or more to wait for permissions to be propagated in the SharePoint environment after activating the SharePoint Administrator role. Logging out, closing all browser windows -- nothing helps.

This results in lost work time for administrators that require these permissions to do their daily job. And is even worse when there is an issue during off-hours. It does not help your relationship with a business client to tell them that you have to wait for the system to "kick in" and cannot provide an estimate for how long that may take.

Any…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make PIM more user friendly by adding flash whenever signing 1st time on azure ad PIM

Whenever we are enabling PIM , we found that portal is not user friendly, there is ROLES, then AZURE AD ROLES then lot of confusing options and even the documentation is not for the beginners, that when we will get consent option,how to check PIM is enabled or not there are lot of people i came accross who are confused with the features and what to enable and all,
    the concepts are clear but how to reach and complete it, its confusing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Auto suggest role activation on "access denied" error messages if user is eligible

If I have a role that woudl allow me to access a page via PIM, error messages shoulfd suggest to enable the least privilege role I am elligible for instead of just showing an access error.

This would:
    1. allow to think about PIM as a workaround
    2. understand that Global Admin is not the role to activate by default and that less powerful roles coudl still allow to get things done
    3. add some friendliness to "access denied" error messages :-)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PIM - Integrate PIM into Portal configuration of Azure Resource RBAC

Please consider - Merge GUI elements for PIM into Azure Portal Resource Access Control Panel

a) Azure RBAC panels should show the PIM role assignments in context, similar to (reverse of) the way that regular permanent role assignments are shown in the PIM GUI.

b) Azure RBAC Access Control "New Role Assignment" should include the option to make the assignment eligible instead of permanent

The current implementation puts the functionality in the wrong context - the primary function is not to "manage PIM", it is to "assign roles for a resource".

Thanks
    Ben

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. PIM - Configure default settings for all role assignments

Separate custom settings for every role in every resource scope is really unwieldy, and makes it infeasible to manage effectively.

Please consider a configuration for default settings that apply to all roles and scopes (maybe separate for Azure RBAC vs AAD?) so that we can make baseline tenant level configuration change.

e.g. I would like PIM eligible assignment to default to a maxiumum duration of 2 hours instead of 1; I would like activation to require MFA always; I would like to change the notification lists.

Thanks
    Ben.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  0 comments  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. PIM - Allow users to extend period of activation for activated eligible roles

Several times I need to start something that requires a PIM role, when the PIM role is already active but will expire soon (say, 10 minutes). I need to extend the activation period to cover, say, 60 minutes, but this is not possible and I either need to wait until the PIM activation expires, or be disrupted by access failures mid-activity.

Please consider a new option to PIM role management to allow the extension in time of a role that is already active.

The current PIM "extend" functionality refers to extension of period of assignment, not period of activation for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow PIM Members view to display all members and sort via eligible vs permanent assignment. This was recently removed.

A feature update seems to have changed how the PIM> Azure AD Roles > Members view works. It used to show you all members with assigned roles, and allow you to sort on permanent/eligible/role/etc. Now it appears to only allow you to view one single user at a time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Privileged Identity Management event into Event Grid for automation

We would like to use Privileged Identity Management (PIM) to provide access to content within resource for example a database within a database server. To be able to hook into a successful 'just in time' request and it's timeout I would like to use something like Event Grid.

The current alerting based on email is not good enough to be able to reliably build automation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Privileged Identity Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Too much info all at once no direction!

Too much info at one time and no direction! I'm sooo confused about this app. Just wanted to update privacy settings to play Realm on my xbox dang...!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Azure cli PIM activation

To reduce churn. It would be good if there was a CLI method of activating PIM Azure Resource roles so that the process was less laborious.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base