How can we improve Azure CDN?

Ability to force the CDN to refresh any cached content

A new API to send a request to the CDN so that it invalidates an previously cached item and forces a refetch from the origin - e.g. Azure Storage.
This would happen regardless of the original Cache Control header set for the blob.

1,644 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Clement GutelClement Gutel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Purge is now supported both via the CDN extension in the new Azure Portal (https://portal.azure.com) and via REST APIhttps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt634451.aspx. This is currently only available for endpoints that are created using the new Azure Portal. Existing endpoints in the previous version of the portal (i.e. https://manage.windowsazure.com) will be migrated to the new Azure Portal in the beginning of 2016 and at that time purge support will also be available for use with them.

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FrancescoFrancesco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge limitation of the Azure CDN. I really hope you will add this feature very soon! VERY soon!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this feature MS? Its so basic and a requirement for anyone looking to use a CDN. I'll have to link files directly to the blob storage container until this is available - not the best!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft it shouldn't take 4years to implement a feature your competition has had from day 1!!!

It's a bummer trying to explain to customers why they can't see their new product images on their website. MS is making me look bad.

Youch - this feature is preventing us from making use of the Azure platform currently.

Currently any replaced file served by the Azure CDN wont show until 72 hours after! Not good for our clients. Some sort of ETA would be great on this.

• Alan ParrAlan Parr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 votes, just been stung by this while performing a new deployment. Have had to switch my site to not use the CDN which is going to hit my performance for the next 3 days until I can switch it back after it has updated.

• MAndersMAnders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature request needs to be rephrased: Implement an API which permits purging items from the cache.

I bet if the feature name was changed, you'd suddenly get LOTS AND LOTS of votes for this!

• Pete @ PhiltiniumPete @ Philtinium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or just simply a mechanism to invalidate the CDN's for a blob in the Azure portal. Again I can't believe there are not more votes for this as I would have thought this a useful mechanism for anyone changing there static content on a regular basis i.e. developing sprites or JS/CSS. Currenty I have TTL of 1 day but when I launch a new version I don't want to wait a day for the content to catch up with the new release.

• guy rafaguy rafa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

any reliable CDN offers purge services. in the current settings and upload takes upto 72 hours!
        what happens if we upload a a version with bug we will lose revenue for 72 hours till the cash is cleared form all end points ?

• Valli KamakoduValli Kamakodu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, only 26 votes for this?. We have a file on CDN that's cached for 6 months that needs to be taken down immediately or face serious consequences. There is no way right now to force the CDN to flush out the cache before it expires and hence users will have unintended access to this file for few more months!!!.This is a must feature.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base