Make deployments and config updates much faster
The whole configuration and update of CDN endpoints is terribly slow and is causing enough confusion that we considered moving our CDN to Amazon, which works as expected. This on Verizon standard but might apply to others as well.
1) Initial deployment took an hour before files (served from storage directly) were available on the CDN. The 404 messages are very confusing since the endpoint says it is available almost immediately and the url works straight away.
2) Even after the first asset I was testing appeared on the CDN, others in the same storage folder took several minutes before they too were available on the CDN.
3) Updating CDN caching rules took 25 minutes, which is a ridiculous amount of time. It is hard to know if the configuration is wrong or it hasn't updated yet and no way to know.
4) Even after updating the caching rules, existing cached items were returned to the end user except with a hard-refresh, which then returned the new cache headers. This is not a workable solution for a production system where the end-users will not know to do that.
5) Purging either takes ages or doesn't work at all, even when only specifying a single file. Again, it is impossible to tell if the purge hasn't happened yet, whether it didn't work or whether the configuration is wrong.
6) There is a possible timing issue if you change the rules and then purge, the purge might happen before the rules are updated so it appears not to work.
I really don't understand why any of this takes longer than a few minutes, even 40 PoPs is not a vast number of update requests to make
Simon Luckenuik commented
The Verizon CDN approval is human driven: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/13983#issuecomment-416395573