How can we improve Azure CDN?

Test Azure CDN Rule Engine before sending for approval

At this moment, you cann't test Azure CDN Rule Engine before sending for approval, approval of new Rules takes up to 4 hours. Which make things very difficult.

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
zhagnpeng chen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
planned  ·  Anton Kucer [MSFT] responded  · 

Rule approval is currently automatic with no delay. We will follow up on having the 4 hour approval message you see in the CDN supplemental portal updated to remove this confusion. While approval is automatic it can currently take 90 minutes for updates to propagate to all CDN POPs. Work is under way to significantly reduce this to a much lower value in the next few months.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would second the original post. It would be great if a simulator is provided to test the rule output in a contained environment instead of having it pushed to all the pop servers and wait until it is complete to try out. Evaluating complex regex expressions at the moment for url rewrite rules for example is extremely painful. I would like to see an option to publish the rules to all the pops otherwise it acts as a test bed serving from a single location. This would greatly help contain the loopback time and enhance the dev experience.

• Simon Luckenuik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to this issue, the approval is still a manual process: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/13983#issuecomment-416395573

Yesterday, I posted updated a rule against a Verizon Premium CDN that took over 8 hours to be approved.

The rule tester UI would enable us to test the rules prior submitting it. It could be something very simple, enter a URL + Request Headers, run the rules and provide the returned response headers and destimation of the request in the Source.

Currently, to figure out if something I want to do would work as expected, I have to figure out the rule syntax, add it, wait between 10 minutes and 8 hours, test to see if it works, repeat if not working. A real pain.

Feedback and Knowledge Base