How can we improve Azure CDN?

Make raw logs available for CDN traffic

If raw logs were made available and posted to blob storage, developers could use them for sub-billing our customers for their usage of the CDN.

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Richard Parker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • assafl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would require this functionality for advanced logging reports such as knowing a combination of country, device and browser version per request

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could be blocker for me to move to Azure from another CDN which provides the logs, and I use this for sub-billing of my customers (based on api_key parameter in URLs). I send the logs to S3 bucket and consume them easily using SQL via AWS Athena. Having ~100M requests per day is nothing difficult there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub-billing would also be possible if Azure CDN supported wildcard custom domains. Under "Manage" -> "Analytics" -> "Custom reports" -> "Edge CNAMEs" you can already see statistics about traffic from different custom domains. Combined with wildcard custom domains and SSL on them, this would be an awesome feature.

• vangap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Radu
    Complexity of analyzing raw logs is no reason for not having this feature.

"but processing this kind of data is expensive and many times you don't need it." > is completely wrong assumption.
    Many does analyze this kind of data.

• Radu Vunvulea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is interesting, but I'm trying to imagine how easy is to process this raw data once you have it. Also the size of them can be incredible big. Imagine that you're cache is hitted with a raite of 100.000 RPS.
    The same things is with Azure Blob Storage, we have this feature, is very powerful, but processing this kind of data is expensive and many times you don't need it.

• Madison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the log data to see which assets are most popular.

How can we access the raw CDN logs?

• Brenden Grace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 ... Azure really needs a feature like this if they want to compete against other CDNs (especially in the advertising space).

Feedback and Knowledge Base