How can we improve Azure Media Services?

Directly ingesting RTSP

RTSP is a very common IP camera protocol. If Azure would add the capability to directly ingest RTSP, it would greatly improve the ability to take advantage of Azure's services for IP cameras. Now these cameras always require the additional overhead of an encoder/trans-coder just to convert from RTSP to RTMP which adds delay, processing requirements, and is zero value add from a users/developer perspective.

46 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jarrett Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well RTMP is owned by Adobe while RSTP is an open standard with a modern 2.0 implementation available for a few years now. Please Azure team we should be using RTSP. It’s for more than cameras! #TouchDesigner

• Michael Moles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was provided with a RTMP url from a Wowza server. I can ingest that into a flash player, but my client has flash disabled on their systems, so I need to convert it to a HTML5 friendly format like DASH. I was hoping that AMS would allow me to set the ingest url, but it seems that I must point the initial video encoder to the AMS or modify Wowza to push to AMS. We have systems already pointing to the Wowza system, so we cant move the camera encoder to point to AMS. If i go trough the effort of getting into the wowza system, i might as well just add the DASH support from there.

Feedback and Knowledge Base