Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)

How can we improve Azure Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add protection against deleting a production deployment

When you're running a mission critical service in Azure as one or more cloud services, deleting the production deployments my mistake can become catastrophic.

Not only because the service is suddenly out, but also, and perhaps more importantly, because you lose your public IP address. In many cases (ours included) losing the VIP reservation means weeks of downtime because we integrate with lots of banks and insurance companies many of which have a rigorous and time-consuming process for opening up their firewalls for incoming and outgoing calls to the new VIP.

As long as you either always deploy to staging…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include RAM usage as a standard metric on the portal

RAM usage percentage is a primary metric / KPI for web roles and worker roles, yet it cannot be monitored on the management portal.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a way that a worker role can start triggered by an "Enterprise-Condition-Variable"

Currently it seems that worker roles can only start as a result of busy waiting on the Azure Queue. This can lead to very expensive scenarios. Why not enabling a worker role to be started from a enterprise event (e.g. from ESB)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. upload package

The package upload speed from visual studio is dramatically slow. it takes about an hour to upload 300Mb package. Please speed up it.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Define server features in Role configuration file which will be installed when provisioning a VM.

I'm trying to add FTP site to my web role.
    It requires adding features to the VM by using startup script that install the FTP server.
    It could be very cool If I could select the features I need for my role according to the VM OS and you will install them when provisioning new VM.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Parity of deployment options between Cloud Services and WebSites

Love this Azure stuff but... I got stumped trying to set up a cloud service the way I wanted to.
    Please provide the same deployment options for Cloud Services that Websites enjoy. Very few individual developers use TFS we mostly use GitHub, Bitbucket et al.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Corey Sanders [MSFT] responded

Hey Iain, we will bring more and more symmetry between these different compute options, across WebSites, CloudServices, and Virtual Machines.

• Don't see your idea?

Cloud Services (Web and Worker Role)

Feedback and Knowledge Base