How can we improve Azure Web Apps (formerly Websites)?

Add support for free SSL certs like those from Let's Encrypt

Now that the EFF and Mozilla are backing the Let's Encrypt project to provide everyone free SSL certs, it would be great if you would permit free usage of SSL certs on Azure Websites.

709 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MaxMax shared a merged idea: integrate let's encrypt  ·   · 

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed, security is not a luxusry in 2017. It should be done with the press of a button, built-in in the dashboard.

• TjTj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-open this? It should simply be a checkbox in the portal!

• NagNag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be reopened and integrated into Azure (as everyone else is saying)

• Mike CousinsMike Cousins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should this be a one-click checkbox in the Azure Portal but it should be checked by default when you make a new site.

• Frans LytzenFrans Lytzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-open. I appreciate it competes with your new commercial offering, but this is a real opportunity for Microsoft to Do The Right Thing by making pervasive SSL so much easier - and free. It would earn you huge kudos and would make Brad Smith proud.

• James PattersonJames Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, this should just be a checkbox with full automation otherwise it wont be used by anyone unless they can really be bothered. It's a lot of hassle for my blog. I've jumped through the hoops for some other apps I've been writing though.

• Shane DayShane Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-open - great work by the community, but seriously this should just be a checkbox option on the portal.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other have noted, this is not complete. Microsoft needs to officially support this in the portal.

• Matt HoneycuttMatt Honeycutt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second what others have said: this is not solved. The community solution is a good temporary workaround, but I want something that's easier to setup and fully integrated into Azure. I want to be able to add a LetsEncrypt cert for a VM, a website, etc all from the portal. I don't want to have to drop down to Powershell or jump through hoops.

• Jeff HansenJeff Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great work on the extension, but there is still too much overhead with setting up the Service Principal, so no, it's not "solved", it's more like "this is good enough until we get this implemented natively"

• MaxMax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if web apps had a wizard to request and install certificates directly from let's encrypt when adding a custom domain.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base