How can we improve Azure Web Apps?

Allow Azure Web Sites to connect to a Virtual Network

The Azure Web Sites are a great place to host web sites. The Azure Virtual Machines are a great place to host database servers. But currently, the connection between those two requires that the virtual machine and the database have a public endpoint.

It would be great if we could create an (reserved?) Azure Web Site, which could be connected to a virtual network. This way, the web site and the virtual machine could be connected together without having to create a public endpoint.

190 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SoftwareMK: Mikael KoskinenSoftwareMK: Mikael Koskinen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feels like it should be reopened. I don't believe that Azure Hybrid connections addresses this situation. I like the simplicity of Azure Websites over the Cloud Services, but it would be very nice to have my Azure Website on the same Virtual Network as my VMs that are used for a NoSQL offering, or Elasticsearch, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Mikael, this should be reopened. To add to the list of requirements, what about connecting to a service endpoint (exposed as cloud service) that is a round-robin/failover using multiple servers? With such cloud service there is no single machine to connect to and I would want also to expose that endpoint only for the web site.

• SoftwareMK: Mikael KoskinenSoftwareMK: Mikael Koskinen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be reopened as I don't see how Azure Hybrid Connections help in this case. That or the Hybrid Connections documentation gives a completely wrong picture of the feature.

To be clear, the idea is about connecting Azure Web Site to a Azure Virtual Network. And the Azure Hybrid Connections seems to be all about connecting Azure Web Site and On-Premise server.

Example scenario:

* I have an Azure Virtual Network.
        * Inside the Azure Virtual Network I have Ubuntu server running MongoDB.
        * I have few other servers in the Virtual Network, some are running IIS, some are running other databases.
        * Now I want to add Azure Web Site which talks to my MongoDB server. Only the servers inside the Virtual Network can see my MongoDB server as it doesn't have any public endpoints.

Does Azure Hybrid Connections enable this scenario?

Feedback and Knowledge Base