We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Better support for wildcard domain mappings

I have a web site with a separate subdomain for each client:

client1.domain.com
client2.domain.com

To add a new client in azure websites at the moment I have to
1. Go to my DNS provider and add a mapping for awverify.client3.domain.com (I already have *.domain.com mapped - this is only needed for verification)
2. Wait patiently for that to propagate
3. Add a domain name mapping to the web site configuration
4. Map the new subdomain onto the same wildcard certificate used for every other client sibdomain

If I have a control of awverify.domain.com then surely I will always have control of awverify.anything-else.domain.com - why do I need to verify each subdomain separately?

Ideally I should be able to configure the *.domain.com CNAME record with my DNS provider and then set up Azure once for all subdomains

133 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Steve Greatrex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Shaw Innes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Kaz mentions, it's not really the configuration of the Azure side that's unclear. It's which CNAMEs should be configured to allow *.domain.com to work.

I have tried a number of variations of awverify.*.domain.com and awverify.domain.com without success.

The strange thing is that I have almost the exact same configuration on another azure website and domain and it's working fine.

• Kaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, I have seen Scott's video before, and rewatched it. He does not show you how to set up your CNAME or A records, so this isn't much of a step by step. Can you go into what part of the management portal instructions are inaccurate? I have CNAMES for both awverify.*.mydomain.com as well as awverify.mydomain.com pointing to awverify.myazurewebsitedomain.azurewebsites.net as can be seen in my screenshots on the StackOverflow link. Neither of them are allowing me to to verify the domain.

Thanks Michael, but I have CNAMES for both awverify.*.mydomain.com as well as awverify.mydomain.com pointing to awverify.myazurewebsitedomain.azurewebsites.net as can be seen in my screenshots on the StackOverflow link. Neither of them are allowing me to to verify the domain.

• Des Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not working, I am unable to add the wildcard mapping in the management portal though I've added the required CNAME record.

I set my A record for "*" to go to my website IP Address. I also set a CNAME for "awverify.*.mydomain.com" to point to "awverify.myazurewebsitedomain.azurewebsites.com" - I waited patiently for propagation and tested that all dynamic subdomains are hitting the Azure Websites IP. But my website cannot verify "*.mydomain.com" and all dynamic subdomains go to a generic Error 404 - Web Site not found! page on Azure. I have followed all instructions to a T and this is not working. Please either update the instructions or reopen this issue immediately.

• Jim L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So the report I got back from Microsoft was a configuration problem with the DNS servers at my provider preventing validation of my CNAME and A records.

I will have to wait for that to be resolved before I can test *.domain.com

• Michael Candido commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you register *.domain.com, your azure web site will work with any subdomain of domain.com. Is there an additional ask here for associating the subdomains with multiple sites?

• Jim L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The post from Erez does not seem to address the issue. This is what we need:

I should be able to configure the *.domain.com CNAME record with my DNS provider and then set up Azure once for all subdomains

This request is in regards to dynamic wildcards, I don't think this issue is actually closed. Can it please be reopened.

• cyclomarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wildcard domain support is indeed available, but you can still not combine the wildcard with a named entry. For example *.domain.com should point to ***.azurewebsites.com but api.domain.com should point to api-yyy.azurewebsites.com. As a result, you need 2 domains for this !

• Michael Candido commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wildcard domain support is live. You can assign a wildcard certificate to your wildcard domain with an SNI SSL binding. Look for IP SSL support at the end of April.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so much disappointing to not support this feature. Now left with no choice not to use it

• cyclomarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this ? We are launching a multi-tenant application which needs per tenant subdomains running over SSL. This is a basic requirement for multi-tenancy !

What steps did you take to get the wildcard DNS working? The steps in the "official" document don't really indicate that it's possible yet.

I see that a basic (though apparently slightly buggy) version of this is now available. At the moment it does not support wildcard SSL mappings - will this be added in the future?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base