Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make it possible to deploy WebApp using custom domain and App Service managed certificate in one deployment

Currently it is not possible to provision a new Microsoft.Web/sites resource using custom domain and App Service managed certificate using one deployment operation. This is because of cyclic dependency between Microsoft.Web/sites/hostNameBindings and Microsoft.Web/certificates resources. This is pretty confusing and inconvenient.

The sequence of operation ARM needs to perform is as below:

• create Microsoft.Web/sites resource
    • create Microsoft.Web/sites/hostNameBindings (without binding an SSL certificate because it does not yet exist) to link custom domain name to the Web App
    • create Microsoft.Web/certificates resource to issue a managed certificate for the custom domain (this requires custom domain to be linked)
    • now need to update existing …
    39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. web app with private endpoint shouldn't need domain ownership for custom domain

Hi,
    I have a web app (app service) that has a private endpoint. I'd like to create a custom domain for this web app. When I try to validate this custom domain, I get the error message that I need domain ownership for this domain. Apparently, I need to have this domain ownership in public DNS: But as I use private link, I only want to have my web app to be accessible from inside the network. So, I don't want to have public DNS entries for my web apps.
    Please remove domain verification for custom domains of web apps…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create Function level Keys for Azure Functions in ARM template

ARM templates currently allow to create functionKeys on host level as:

{
      "type": "Microsoft.Web/sites/host/functionKeys",
      "apiVersion": "2018-11-01",
      "name": "[concat(parameters('appServiceName'), '/default/MyFunctionKey')]",
      "properties": {
        "name": "MyFunctionKey"
      }
    }

Which is great, but does not allow a very granular level of security.
    It is possible to create FunctionKeys on Function level through the admin API (/admin/functions/$($function.functionName)/keys) but not via ARM template.

Ideally I would like to be able to do the following in my ARM template:

{
    "type": "Microsoft.Web/sites/functions/functionKeys",
    "apiVersion": "2018-11-01",
    "name": "[concat(parameters('appServiceName'), '/MYFUNCTIONNAME/MyFunctionKey')]",
    "properties": {
    "name": "MyFunctionKey"
    }
    }

I do understand the main difficulty is that the function is most likely created…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Linux] Ability to move a Web App to a different App Service plan

Enable the 'Change App Service Plan' blade for Linux web apps in order to allow Linux apps to be moved to a different App Service plan in the way Windows apps can be moved now.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable Http2 / Server push on worker instances in app service

Now that Azure Web Apps supports Http/2 but is limited to only fAzure Front end (just like how ssl does) requests to worker should also support Http/2 to get full advantage out of it.

Server push is not currently available on app service.
    Server push allows the server to push resources to the client ahead of time via PUSH_PROMISE

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/http2/#push_promise_101

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Please support PHP 7.4 for Linux App Services

Please update the stack for Linux App Services.
    Thanks!

37 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Web Apps resource allow "prompt=consent" of Google OpenID

I'm using Google OpenID and need feature that when expire session, will display login dialog screen.

When use Azure AD, I add this setting in resource.azure.com the following document.
    "additionalLoginParams": ["prompt=login"]

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/app-service-authentication-how-to#refresh-identity-provider-tokens

Google OpenID need to set "prompt=consent" and I wrote this settings in resource.azure.com but this feature doesn't work and there is no display login dialog screen.
    "additionalLoginParams": ["prompt=consent"]

https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/oauth2/openid-connect#re-consent

This feature implemented in Azure AD, so please could you allow to Google Authentication prompt?

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) and the count for each web app within a particular app service plan.

See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) for each web app within a particular app service plan. I have had issues were all web apps in that service plan were failing when accessing sql server or service bus relay (anything that needs an outgoing tcp connection) because the number of open tcp connections exceeded the plan limit. I had to request the information from support to figure out what web apps had the majority of the open sockets.

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Upgrade CPUs in Azure App Service Premium Tier

Currently the "Premium" tier on App Service offers this three options:

P1: 1VCore DSV2
    P2: 2VCores DSv2
    P3: 4VCores DSv2

I wouldn't call this a premium tier now that we are getting into 2020...

App service is one of the most useful services offered in Azure and it really needs an upgrade.

Amazon's Beanstalk does not have such limitations.

I would suggest that to upgrade the hardware/resources of the Premium tier to at least:

P1: 2 VCores
    P2: 4 VCores
    P3: 8 VCores

The processors model should be upgraded as well to use DSv3 or even better the F series.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Auto-scale up and down not just out, for web apps

Hi

Can you expand the auto-scaling feature to include up and down scaling as well as in / out?

so for example, scale the web app up a tier in peak and down a tier i off hours. Or something to that effect.

Thanks

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Diagnostic settings for App Service Plan (not just the webapps)

We need to manage diagnostic settings for App Service Plan from the Azure portal like other resources.
    You can manage diagnostic settings for Many Azure services on the Azure portal. Some cx basically creates diagnostic settings on the Azure portal and checks the settings. This is because such a cx would like to easily manage them thanks to GUI operations.

However, currently, you cannot manage diagnostic settings for App Service Plan on Azure portal. For this reason, it would be nice if we could create and read thes setting from the Azure portal like other diagnostic settings.

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Gradle plugin support on Azure App Service

Wish to see Gradle plugin support on Azure Apps Service.
    This available plugin here -https://github.com/lenala/azure-gradle-plugins -is for testing purpose only (not recommended for production).

34 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. PowerShell and CLI support for the management of App Service Environments

Azure PowerShell and Azure CLI commands to support the management of an App Service Environments (at least v2). Hopefully this could include the ability to get management IP information, do scaling, and if it is an ILB ASE update the ILB Certificate.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option to hide/anonymize IPs in webserver logs to be GDPR compliant

It would be very helpfull if there would be an option to hide/anonymize IPs in webapps webserver logs. Right now you have to disable webserver logs completely to be GDPR compliant which might be not best practice.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback and recommendations on this important topic!

We will look at adding this to our feature roadmap though we don’t have any timing to share right now.

For additional guidance please refer to “Azure Data Subject Request GDPR Documentation” under the Service Trust Portal: https://servicetrust.microsoft.com/ViewPage/GDPRDSR. Specifically read through, Part 1 – Step 5, which discusses the removal of personal data and timing in which you can leverage retention period settings for the logs.

Thanks,
    Oded

16. Enable application logging in ILB ASE

Currently there is no way to access our applications trace logs in an ILB ASE environment. I understand the Log Stream button is greyed out in the portal, but even using Kudu, FTP, blob, or streaming in VS, none of these are working in ILB ASE, and support tells us this is a known issue. This is a huge downside for us because we depend on our customized application log messages for troubleshooting.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Provide access to HTTPERR logs

Currently, enabling "Web Server Logging" appears to archive only the W3C request logs. The HTTPERR logs are the only way to see any requests that failed or were rejected by the server due to TCP timeouts, idle connections, filled request queues, and similar circumstances.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/820729

32 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Azure App Services on Windows to allow AMSI API

When running Windows based App Services in Azure, we would like to call into the AMSI API to verify if received files/content contains malware.

This works very well under Windows Server 2016 and 2019, as long as we're running under .NET core using out-of-process hosting. (As IIS is excluded from antimalware scans)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/amsi/antimalware-scan-interface-portal

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. [Linux] Allow remote debugging of .NET core apps hosted by linux app services

It is currently not possible to remote debug .NET core applications running on Azure Linux App Services. Please consider to add remote debugging to the feature list of Linux App Services.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Rewriting to /public is absolutely not the right way to change the document root

After doing some reading, I'm seeing Azure actually suggesting to people running Laravel (and any others that don't host out of the root project structure) applications to use mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to point to "/public".

This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion and is effectively some of the worst advice you could give. Forcing people to have "/public" in their URL structure because you guys didn't take the time to research the bare-minimum configuration options for your offering is not in any way acceptable.

I suggest you urgently add support for the ability to configure the document root. Not only…

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base