We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Enable users to create custom error pages for 403 and 503 service unavailable messages

Currently 503 errors (service unavailable) present a blank white page with "service unavailable" to the users which is far from professional for us. It would be far better if we could provide a custom 503 page which would include a logo etc., and some text along the lines of "We apologise for the inconvenience, we are working on it. These issues usually resolve in about five minutes. please contact support for further help if required." or something similar.... This error might be caused by Azure network issues, so away from the web app instance.

It would also be helpful if this were possible for 403s as well. However 503 is the most important.

I have raised this idea before, but it seems to have disappeared.

I am pretty surprised that we cannot do this already.

Thanks.

1,100 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Matt Drouillard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please add this feature ASAP! We need a professional landing page if we decide to turn the app service off for any amount of time, under maintenance, down for service, etc. The current generic page is unprofessional, imagine if a company releases a product and has a screen like this. I love Azure but our customers do not need to , nor should they see a generic Azure 403 error message like this ever.

• Felype commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please at least change 403 Site Stopped to 503 Site Stopped, 403 code makes absolute no sense in this context

• Wesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Azure,

Would be awesome if this feature could be implemented on short term!

• Pedro Pereira Gonçalves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Admin,

If we have the REQUIRED (SSL) Client Certificate on a Web App, we simply cannot override the 403 response HTML, in case people cancel the popup. These two limitations create a big problem for certificate-based logins.

Looking forward to having some feedback.

Thanks!

Regards,

Pedro

• Michael Avila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget to implement this soon Microsoft, pretty **** useful feature that is missing.

• Anuraj Rajagopal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please have the feature to create the custom error page to show to end user when accessing the APP service which have IP restrictions.

• Kishan Shrestha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, Azure App Service Team
    It seems to be quite demanding features that devs/devops like to have. Will this be looked at some stage, early will be better as its been going over a 2 years now.
    Cheers,
    Kish

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Azure Team,
    Dear Azure team, we want to provide normal user experience, when Azure web app is down for maintenance or any other reasons, currently 403, 503 pages have only one effect, customers thinking that the company stopped the activities.
    Please put it on priority !

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

• Targa78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company plan to host a major Web application on Azure, but it is a blocker for us. In term of brand image this lack of feature is a real problem.

• Sil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? This seems a pretty standard feature to me.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A workaround for stopped apps when using the Standard + plans you can create a slot (let's call it service-under-maintenance) deploy a static website that is user friendly and switch that deployment slot with production slot. Then when you are ready with your changes and you want production back on deploy to service-under-maintenance (which now has the old production code) and swap it again with production.

• Saurabh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Azure support team, I am wondering how difficult is this feature for you guys to implement? Simply, let the site owner control 403, 503 pages for their respective sites. Why can't you deliver this update quickly?

• Will Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Origin is down. There is no web.config. I don't want to give my users a white screen. I want the CDN to pull from storage or host a static custom HTML error page that I can upload... See Amazon CloudFront for an example; http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/custom-error-pages.html

Codes; - but really its the origin 500's where this is really helpful - response timeout or not reachable.

400, 403, 404, 405, 414, 416
    500, 501, 502, 503, 504

• Duncan Smart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear "Azure App Service Team" you have misunderstood the issue here. The 503 pages come from the Azure infrastructure reverse proxy, not the IIS instance running the app. When the site is stopped or restarted from the portal, the app's web.config is not going to help.

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This simply is not "completed" with the web.config solution.

• Anthony Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you close it when there are plenty of people highlighting that the "solutions" below don't even work?

• Marc Climent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is by no means closed, if the application is unavailable, web.config is not even read so the solutions proposed don't work.
    In our case, that we are using client certificates, if authentication fails (at ARR level) then Azure shows a 403 without event hitting our app.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base