We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Provide .NET language packs on Web Apps

I'm working on a website that uses System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations

On my local machine, model validation messages are displayed in french but they are in english when I deploy the website to Azure.

Please install .NET language packs on Azure Web Apps so we don't have to create .resx files and messy code to override .NET built-in messages...

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Julien shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> We are still waiting on a few internal dependencies before we can complete this request.

FYI you have been waiting for at least 18 months for "a few internal dependencies"

• Reiner Schramm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today, last statement from admin is 1 year ago ... "still waiting on a few internal dependencies" ... Is it still "under review" since 1 year and are you really still waiting? Would appreciate if you could give us a timeline.

Thanks,
    Reiner

• Raj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People !! Can this be arranged on a per WebApp basis through a Support Request ? And When is the earliest we can expect ?

• Will Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a temporary solution so that language packs can be used on an Azure web app? Seems crazy to have to create translations for all the validation attributes when the translations have already been done. Is there a way to add via npm/nuget or use an assembly reference?

• Fraser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any update on this? Also running into the same issue with the en-HK culture.

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely necessary that you can choose the language pack as needed.

• Sam Maurus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unless I'm missing something, CultureInfo for en-HK is not available for .NET code running on Azure App Service ("CultureNotFoundException: Culture is not supported. en-HK is an invalid culture identifier"). On Azure Cloud Services, the latest guest OS includes this culture and many others.

I guess this is related to automatic OS update management, which Azure App Service should do automatically. I'm uncertain as to what factors are involved for making the latest .NET cultures available in App Service. Will these cultures be made available soon, or is there some reason why they're not supported?

Note that I'm talking about "out of the box" cultures, NOT custom cultures. For custom cultures I understand that one would be best to go for a Cloud Service approach where a task with elevated privileges would be required to register them.

• Yanal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Please deploy the .net language packs on Azure Web app or allow user to choose what language pack should be deployed.

• Julien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a lot of people experiencing issues when they deploy their application to Azure : on their local machine, they have the right .NET language pack installed so they see model validation messages in their language. But when they deploy to Azure, model validation messages are in english (as Azure Web Apps don't have any language pack) and there is no other way to localize those messages than overriding DataAnnotations attributes or messing code by adding loads of Resource=typeof(dfgdfgdfg)

Feedback and Knowledge Base