We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Ability to move Web Apps to a different Resource Group

Really need this one, due to the inability to Change App Service Plan on a web app when the App Service Plan has a different Resource Group

87 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdamM shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminAzure App Service team (Product Owner, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a new Change App Service feature that is rolling out to all subscriptions, you can access this feature using this URL:

https://portal.azure.com/?websitesextension_newchangeasp=true

The new experience supports changing the App Service plan targeting plans in the same resource group & region as well as new plans in different resource groups.

-Byron

• Derek Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This partial fix is not OK. You have to move the app plan, the app service and the certificates, BUT the certs are marked as resources that cannot be moved (really Microsoft??). OH, and that you cannot move an app service to a resource group that has an app service in it already (this is based on docs btw). WE should be able to freely move app services to whatever resource group we desire.

• Derek Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This not being supported is really causing us issues if an app in our ASE causes issues with other apps. Please find a way to support his operation. It is in the same subscription. This seems like a logical scenario.

• AdamM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't really suit.

Firstly, it needs to be premium....which is a strange requirement. Secondly, this means the web app cannot use the same name, whereas if you could "change app service plan" it would literally move the app - not take a copy.

I can understand that a clone is the only possible option when attempting to move across scale units (the dns settings would need to be changed)
    BUT when there are two app service plans - in different resource groups - on the same scale unit cluster (no ip address change or dns updates) - there should be no reason why we cannot move a web app to the other App service plan.

We shouldn't have to change tiers to do this.

We shouldn't have to clone the app and create a whole new web app and then be required to update dns changes.

I do not consider this issue closed...

• AdamM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see this is now possible, but it doesn't solve the problem I have. A web app cannot be moved to a different App Service Plan, (even if it has had it's resource group changed) if the App Service Plans are on different resource groups

Feedback and Knowledge Base