We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Allow to rename WebSites hosting plans

620 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andrew Gubskiy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello all,

Thank you for your patience and ongoing feedback.

We are declining the request to allow changing the name of the App Service Plan (hosting plan). Initially we were trying to work on this to allow for naming updates, but in the process, we realized that there are more risks involved. The App Service Plan’s name is intrinsic to how the app is represented in App Service’s management plane. As a result, support for renaming an App Service Plan turns out to be more complicated than initially thought.

One method we offer to get around this platform constraint involves creating a new unique App Service Plan (with the new desired name), and then moving the resources over:

1 – Create a new App Service Plan with the desired new name. The new App Service Plan needs to be in the same Resource Group and Azure region as the original App Service Plan.
    2 – As long as the new App Service Plan and the old App Service Plan are in the same resource group and Azure region, move the apps in the original App Service Plan to the new App Service Plan using the steps mentioned here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/app-service-plan-manage#move

Thank you,
    Oded

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about if my apps are distributed across various resource groups, and my app serviceplan in one resource group and I want to move all the apps across subscription, then i will need to create app service plans in each of those resource groups, but I could never change the app service plan because of the webspace. what will be the alternative for this???

• Douw Loots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

App service plans are region specific and need to conform to our naming convention, but functions create these automatically and they cannot be renamed, created or re-assigned in the portal.

• Douw Loots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Functions service plans cannot be renamed using the proposed workaround. This workaround is very time consuming, please add this very basic capability.

• Johan Eliasson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admed,
        Do the Azure team hade any plans in the future to allocated a fixed identifer on it's resources, like AWS does? Our selected name for a resource should not be the identifier in your backend.

Unfortunately, I agree with the rest of the comments here. This really not sufficient, as you would have to address new A-record to be updated.

• sandor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a big fan of the proposed solution. It should be dead simple as a rename action with a simple field. I think even if it does that in the background it should be done easily without going through all that trouble.

• Randal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thx for the response. When doing this, can we preserve/transfer the IP address already being used for a custom domain mapping?

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only on Hosting Plans, please make the ability to rename resources, connections, and all other names

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base