We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Add support for free tls/ssl certificates

I want to create a tls/ssl binding to a custom host-name with a free certificate

7,247 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminAzure App Service team (Product Owner, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

192 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Frans Lytzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-open. I appreciate it competes with your new commercial offering, but this is a real opportunity for Microsoft to Do The Right Thing by making pervasive SSL so much easier - and free. It would earn you huge kudos and would make Brad Smith proud.

• James Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, this should just be a checkbox with full automation otherwise it wont be used by anyone unless they can really be bothered. It's a lot of hassle for my blog. I've jumped through the hoops for some other apps I've been writing though.

• Shane Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please re-open - great work by the community, but seriously this should just be a checkbox option on the portal.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other have noted, this is not complete. Microsoft needs to officially support this in the portal.

• Matt Honeycutt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second what others have said: this is not solved. The community solution is a good temporary workaround, but I want something that's easier to setup and fully integrated into Azure. I want to be able to add a LetsEncrypt cert for a VM, a website, etc all from the portal. I don't want to have to drop down to Powershell or jump through hoops.

• Jeff Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great work on the extension, but there is still too much overhead with setting up the Service Principal, so no, it's not "solved", it's more like "this is good enough until we get this implemented natively"

• Max commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if web apps had a wizard to request and install certificates directly from let's encrypt when adding a custom domain.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems like Amazon just did much better (AWS Certificate Manager), adding pervasive support from provisioning and managing of certificates, to automatic incorporation in load-balancer and CloudFront.

In a somewhat striking contrast, Microsoft is satisfied with declaring the need "community solved"... :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great, now please connect with your fellow Azure colleagues, and see what can be done to add pervasive Letsencrypt support across the Azure ecosystem (for VM endpoints, CDN, blob storage, etc.

• Mitch R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump!

It's now 2016...

I think MS should start investing a little time in this because it's going to be a big part of the web going forward.

Feedback and Knowledge Base