We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Rewriting to /public is absolutely not the right way to change the document root

After doing some reading, I'm seeing Azure actually suggesting to people running Laravel (and any others that don't host out of the root project structure) applications to use mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to point to "/public".

This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion and is effectively some of the worst advice you could give. Forcing people to have "/public" in their URL structure because you guys didn't take the time to research the bare-minimum configuration options for your offering is not in any way acceptable.

I suggest you urgently add support for the ability to configure the document root. Not only is the suggestion to use mod_rewrite (.htaccess) a cop out, but it actually violates security best practices by hosting your project root. Yes, I understand the rewrite is there, but there are countless issues with this methodology, due to the nature of .htaccess.

The public directory in Laravel functioning this way is by design and not something to be subverted.

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Alexander Trauzzi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base