We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Ability to select VM size for Web Apps blade and reserve it

Currently the choices are very limited on Azure App Service as to what kind of hardware runs the load. You might need memory optimized load or CPU optimized load.
AWS beanstalk simply allows you to pick different resources to match your needs and pay for the resource itself as opposed to different pricing.
Also, we need the ability to have blade reservation, as it stands an App Service blade is more than 3x the cost of a reserved VM of similar size. This makes AWS much more appealing. I don't mind paying 10-20% premium but 3x is a big difference that warrants switching our entire cloud infrastructure.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Samir shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminAzure App Service Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Thanks Samir! Unfortunately UserVoice is not our product so we don’t have much options in customozing it per your suggestion of allowing edits from users… I’m deleting this request per the thread below. Please reference the following feature requests instead:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/32971285-ability-to-reserve-azure-app-service-blade

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/32971234-more-vm-options-for-app-service-hosted-resources

Thanks,
    Oded

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Samir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Obed,
        Thanks for your new response. Sure please delete this, I created two new ideas if that will make your life easier. (I can't delete it, because other people voted for this)

Another feature request, ability to edit ideas here:)

Thanks,
        Samir

• AdminAzure App Service Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the additional details. If we are to make more sense of this feature request then, it would read something like - More VM options for App Service hosted resources. Details would read the memory sizes you mentioned and prices. Is that correct? If that would work for you, we should delete this entry and open a new one with those details.

Thanks,
        Oded

• Samir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Obed,
        Thanks for your response.
        No, it is actually a feature request, what I am asking for is flexibility. Like I said before the App Service options are very limited. Currently there are 3 real options (and 6 if you count P1,P2,P3) but there are dozens of VM size options.
        Let's say I want memory optimized App Service (with 16GB or 32GB of memory), not possible! And if I chose 14GB I have to opt out for P3 ($800/m) vs E2v3 ($164/m, or $103/m for 3yr reserved instance). As you can see the difference is not only 3x it is in fact 8x in that scenario.
        But even a basic scenario, one instance of P1 is ($200/m) vs D1v2 ($102/m, and $48/ 3yr reserved) 200/48 >4x. I understand that we are getting extra functionality, ease of deployment, etc and while spending extra 0-20% is reasonable, 4x or 8x is not reasonable.

As you can see the VM costs are very comparable to AWS, but when you compare Beanstalk to App Service the difference is massive, and Beanstalk offers the flexibility to pick more suitable instance size.

Blade reservation means like VM reserved instance (In fact on of the Azure leads suggested we make a feature request for this on non-VM resources).

Feedback and Knowledge Base