We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

[Linux] Give Linux web apps same deployment options as Windows based apps

Linux based web apps have 3 deployment options (GitHub, BitBucket, Local Git repo) whereas Windows based apps have 7 deployment options (including the "External Repository" which is what I was looking for).

This request is to bring the options for Linux based apps up to speed, and perhaps until then, provide documentation and/or UI verbiage as to why there are differences. I spent an hour or two trying to hook up GitLab as a deployment option (including trying to use the Azure CLI) in vein.

BTW the CLI gives a cryptic error message when trying to add an external repository. See my StackOverflow post here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46245144/deployment-from-azure-web-site-from-gitlab

Perhaps a better error message from the CLI would have tipped me to the fact that this is not possible for my Linux based web app.

Thanks

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Greg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  AdminAzure App Service Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Thanks again f or the feedback. We are in the process of revaluation of which deployments options we have available for our Linux apps. The options for Windows will not match what we will have available for Linux, since there are compatibility issues with some of the deployment sources.

Having said that, we are revising the whole deployment experience through the launch of the Deployment Center which is also improving.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/06/04/app-service-deployment-center-preview/

Thanks,
    Oded

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marco Brondani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update here?
        As of today, April 2018, the external repository option has not been added as a deployment option.
        Thank you,
        M.-

• Andy Mehalick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see that the new Linux-based web apps currently in preview support GitHub and local Git for deployment sources, would be wonderful if support was added for Bitbucket as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base