We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Restart App Service Plan (all Web Apps in a plan), something similar to iisreset, from within the portal

It would be great to have a restart button, similar to the restart button in a Web App, but on the App Service Plan level to restart all Web Apps in a plan. something similar to iisreset.

37 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ibrahim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminAzure App Service Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Hi Ibrahim,

What issue are you trying to solve? What use case would this be used for?

It seems to me that placing a restart option on the plan level might do more harm than good, by resetting the memory on all the apps under the plan. Depending on your scenario, auto-heal would be a great solution to solve individual machine issues. See a video by my colleagues here for more details: https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Windows-Azure-Web-Sites-Tutorials/Auto-Healing-an-Azure-App-Service

Placing this idea under review for now until I understand what’s at the base of the request here.

Thanks!
    Oded

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arinze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You do need a restart at the App Service Plan (ASP) level. An ASP can go from a stable 40% CPU to 100% in less than 90 seconds. Once at 100%, one loses the ability to diagnose what's wrong with an individual App because in the portal, the process explorer for all the apps stops responding. What this means is that one is forced to restart ALL the Apps 1 by 1. Tedious.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how autho heal will address the issue. I have the problem of the azure app services going crazy and running 100% CPU even though all apps are stopped. So having auto heal restart an app won't solve the problem that azure app service is 100% CPU will all apps are stopped. Need a way to force app service to stop and restart, not just the app.

• Ibrahim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Oded,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am aware of auto-heal and it is being used. It is a great feature when something goes wrong with one of the Web Apps.
        On the other hand, for maintenance reasons (say after publishing a new version of the web apps), we need to recycle all application pools and clear IIS cache. I think it would a great addition to the portal for application maintenance.

Many thanks,
        Ibrahim

Feedback and Knowledge Base