Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ability to restart a specific instance

Most of the times when our app fails it is only a single instance that is down. And we have to restart the whole app to fix that one instance.

We would like a way to restart a specific instance. This way we can fix a problem without causing more downtime.

This is extra annoying since there is no way to tell the LB if an app is healthy or not. But this feature would be nice regardless.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is currently supported.

Go to:
      Diagnose and solve problems
      Advanced application restart
      Configure by need there.

We also automatically detect the issue for you and show this in the same blade in the Azure Portal.

Thanks,
      Oded

• IP address restriction bulk delete

If there are too many IP address restriction settings senario, currently too inconvenient to clear ip address and subnets because currently no way to purge all IP address entries.

At least for now 2 ip address entries requires have to put via Powershell object then delete that from azure portal

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Enable "Always On" feature for HTTPS-only web apps

When I select "Always On" setting in my web app configuration, I assume, that my app will be active even if it supports only HTTPS protocol (not HTTP). This HTTPS-only requirement is common for most web applications, especially if they use authentication. But as I know, "Always On" feature generates HTTP request to the root of application. And if I configure redirect from HTTP to HTTPS for example like here https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2014/01/07/https-only-on-windows-azure-web-sites/, "Always On" request receives "301 Moved Permanently" response and does not reach the app and it is going to idle state. So, "Always On" setting is useless for…

10 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ability to see ports in all states under TCPv4 Connections Established metrics

Ability to see ports in all states under TCPv4 Connections Established metrics, not just those in ESTABLISHED or CLOSE-WAIT.

Alternatively, allow running netstat (or other Powershell equivalent) from KUDU command line.

In my use case, I needed to see if we had any ports that were stuck in TIME_WAIT state and had to put in a ticket to request this information.

26 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback!

We have actually built this capability internally and are in the stage of testing this to releasing this soon (although I don’t have an exact ETA). When it is released, you will be able to find it in the “Diagnose and Solve problems” tab on the left hand side.

• Cannot remove file in persistent volume

I cannot remove a big logfile in /home/Logfiles.

1. Use XXXXi.scm.azurewebsites.net/webssh/host to access the SSH
            2. cd /home/LogFiles
            3. rm foo.log

I do not get any error, but the file is not removed.
            If I try to tail the log file (or do anything els with the file), I get following error:
            tail: cannot open 'foo.log' for reading: No such file or directory

All other files in the LogFile directory are working, it is only this specific log file that are broken.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Remote Debugging for IP based SSL Apps.

At the Moment there is an known issue with Remote Debugging when you have activated IP based SSL for your Appservice. Remote Debugging is simply not working without crazy workarounds implemented.
              Please get this Problem solved soon.
              Azure Support Case Number is: REG:117092616401212

Thanks

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

I looked into the support ticket you filed and it looks like they informed you that this specific config is known not to work with VS remote debugging and they gave you two workarounds to use and try. If there are any additional questions, please follow up via that support ticket.

Thanks,
                Oded

• Record App Restart events as a metric

The new "Diagnose and solve problems" view has an "App Restart Analysis" graph. It would be nice if this data was exposed in the Metrics API. We would like to use this data to create alerts for things like App Crashes.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately, at this moment, the data cannot be exposed to the Metrics API. However, you can create a custom solution by using our Restart Analysis ARM API and add an additional alerting mechanism to receive emails when your Web App restarts.

Here is the API path:

subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{siteName}/diagnostics/apprestartanalysis?api-version=2015-08-01

Thank you for your feedback!

• Add support for NextJS on Azure WebApps

It would be great if you could host a NextJs app on Azure Websites.
                  It appears that currently, iisnode does not support NextJS app using command `npm start`

Deployment guide - https://github.com/zeit/next.js#production-deployment

It seems to be possible on a virtual machine but I feel that it is a bit overkill.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

In many situations, we have one instance out of several that experience memory or cpu issues. However, the alerts we configured for memory used and cpu used never get triggered. The alerts are based on the average usage of all instances. This does not alert us to problems we may have. We would like to have the ability to be able to alert on each individual instance and not an aggregate.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! Currently, under the Diagnose and Solve tab in Azure Portal, you can view “Metrics per Instance” under Tools on the right hand side.

However, we understand that instance specific data is important to highlight for our customers. As a result, we are currently working on a completely new Diagnose and Solve experience that will include more instance specific Web App analysis that you are looking for, which will be coming soon in several weeks.

• Provide metrics for each instance in an App Plan

If there are 10 instances in an App Plan, you only report one set of metrics. You don't even tell us how you aggregate the 10 values.

Without knowing metrics by App Plan, we can't use Web Apps in production. It happens too frequently that one of our machines is overloaded and we have no idea. We can't collect metrics ourselves because everything we can run is forced to run with extremely limited access.

Apparently there used to be WebApp metrics provided by instance (and in CPU seconds - but you don't provide the total CPU time?). Instance level metrics…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for your feedback! Currently, under the Diagnose and Solve tab in Azure Portal, you can view “Metrics per Instance” under Tools on the right hand side. However, we understand that instance specific data is important to highlight for our customers. As a result, we are currently working on a completely new Diagnose and Solve experience that will include more instance specific Web App analysis that you are looking for, which will be coming soon in several weeks.

Best,
                        Jennifer Lee

• connect app service with gateway express route vnp point to site

connect app service with gateway express route vnp point to site

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 64-bit versions of the node.exe

Can we please, I'm begging, get a 64-bit version of the node.exe available in the Azure web app base?

I know I can bring my own node.exe. Except that when I use my own I can't replace it while the application is in use (git repo pushes). Not to mention issues with the path to that executable depending on environments.

You're already providing the 32-bit version. Is there any particular reason the 64-bit versions aren't copied as well?

You can't replace a running node.exe while the file is in use. This requires either taking your site down while deploying, which…

6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web API hosted in azure app service

Hi,

Need client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web api hosted in azure app service.

I am migrating one web API from classic cloud service to azure app service.
                            The API supports calls with valid certificates or valid AAD token.
                            Code is given below:

protected override async Task<HttpResponseMessage> SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
                            {
                            ClaimsPrincipal principal;
                            var cert = request.GetClientCertificate();
                            if (cert != null)
                            {
                            //authenticate client certificate
                            //Set principal from client certificate
                            }
                            else
                            {
                            //get AAD token
                            //authenticate & set principal
                            }
                            return await base.SendAsync(request, cancellationToken);
                            }

The issue is in App service for certificate based…

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Closing out this item since both certificate based authentication (albeit with the requirement that all access requires a certificate), and AAD secured authentication are both options for authN w/ App Service.

-App Service Team

• App Service SQL Server PDO Driver

Please update SQL Server PHP PDO Driver to the 4.1.1 version by Azure App Services. Current version of PDO Driver is very outdated and still has a lot of bugs, that has been fixed 1 year ago.

19 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • can we set alert for OpenSocketCount crossing limit on web app level

If by any chance of buggy code sockets are not closed and the count goes on increasing to the limit set, we should receive alert which will help in web app going down.

2 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • " Available Memory" counter is not available for azure web app

"AVAILABILITY MEMORY" counter is not available for Azure Web App. users are charged for usage of memory, so it doesn't make sense that this counter is not displayed.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. Unless we’re missing something here, there may be a disconnect in the communication. Our shared resources plans (Free and Basic) have memory limits as seen here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits#app-service-limits. However, there is no additional charge for the usage as there is a set fee for the plan level and for each additional instance. You may get throttled, depending on the plan you select, until you scale up or out, but there is no additional charge.

In any case, there is a bunch of monitoring available: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-monitor

Also, you can check in the portal under your web app settings, search for “quotas”, and also check out “Diagnose and solve problems” and hit “metrics per instance (app service plan)” which will show you memory used for the plan.

Thanks,
                                    Oded

• Add error message for failed authentication when remote debugging

It is very difficult to know why you repeatedly get login windows when you try to authenticate when remote debugging.

See the comment to this blog post:
                                    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2016/09/22/remote-debug-your-azure-app-service-web-app/

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • ASE internal and external with express route data flow

I am confused with ASE with internal and external. Can you explain the data flow for ASE with express route.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Web App unavailable page has incorrect links

When hitting a web app that is offline or not available, the returned page has incorrect links. The "Clearing Cache" link redirects to Windows Server. Please see the attached screenshot.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Stop TiP causing security warnings

Currently Testing in Production (TiP) can be used for two purposes: A/B testing or deploying multiple versions of the same website (eg. production and staging).

Some companies like us use TiP only for the second purpose, but as soon as we enable the feature, an additional cookie called "TiPMix" added to our website. The purpose of the cookie is enable A/B testing and help to decide which user should be randomly routed to which slot. We always route 100% of our traffic to the production slot, so no decision have to be made in our case thus we don't need…

75 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We’re happy to share that we’ve launched a solution into production a couple weeks ago.

We added the HttpOnly; tag to the TipMix cookie.

If you encounter any issues, please engage with our support group through a support ticket or on Twitter: @AzureSupport.

Thanks,
                                            Oded

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Web Apps

Feedback and Knowledge Base