Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provide a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js or Python. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, and BitBucket to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

How can we improve Azure Web Apps?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

In many situations, we have one instance out of several that experience memory or cpu issues. However, the alerts we configured for memory used and cpu used never get triggered. The alerts are based on the average usage of all instances. This does not alert us to problems we may have. We would like to have the ability to be able to alert on each individual instance and not an aggregate.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! Currently, under the Diagnose and Solve tab in Azure Portal, you can view “Metrics per Instance” under Tools on the right hand side.

However, we understand that instance specific data is important to highlight for our customers. As a result, we are currently working on a completely new Diagnose and Solve experience that will include more instance specific Web App analysis that you are looking for, which will be coming soon in several weeks.

• Provide metrics for each instance in an App Plan

If there are 10 instances in an App Plan, you only report one set of metrics. You don't even tell us how you aggregate the 10 values.

Without knowing metrics by App Plan, we can't use Web Apps in production. It happens too frequently that one of our machines is overloaded and we have no idea. We can't collect metrics ourselves because everything we can run is forced to run with extremely limited access.

Apparently there used to be WebApp metrics provided by instance (and in CPU seconds - but you don't provide the total CPU time?). Instance level metrics…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for your feedback! Currently, under the Diagnose and Solve tab in Azure Portal, you can view “Metrics per Instance” under Tools on the right hand side. However, we understand that instance specific data is important to highlight for our customers. As a result, we are currently working on a completely new Diagnose and Solve experience that will include more instance specific Web App analysis that you are looking for, which will be coming soon in several weeks.

Best,
        Jennifer Lee

• connect app service with gateway express route vnp point to site

connect app service with gateway express route vnp point to site

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • 64-bit versions of the node.exe

Can we please, I'm begging, get a 64-bit version of the node.exe available in the Azure web app base?

I know I can bring my own node.exe. Except that when I use my own I can't replace it while the application is in use (git repo pushes). Not to mention issues with the path to that executable depending on environments.

You're already providing the 32-bit version. Is there any particular reason the 64-bit versions aren't copied as well?

You can't replace a running node.exe while the file is in use. This requires either taking your site down while deploying, which…

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web API hosted in azure app service

Hi,

Need client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web api hosted in azure app service.

I am migrating one web API from classic cloud service to azure app service.
            The API supports calls with valid certificates or valid AAD token.
            Code is given below:

protected override async Task<HttpResponseMessage> SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
            {
            ClaimsPrincipal principal;
            var cert = request.GetClientCertificate();
            if (cert != null)
            {
            //authenticate client certificate
            //Set principal from client certificate
            }
            else
            {
            //get AAD token
            //authenticate & set principal
            }
            return await base.SendAsync(request, cancellationToken);
            }

The issue is in App service for certificate based…

9 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Closing out this item since both certificate based authentication (albeit with the requirement that all access requires a certificate), and AAD secured authentication are both options for authN w/ App Service.

-App Service Team

• " Available Memory" counter is not available for azure web app

"AVAILABILITY MEMORY" counter is not available for Azure Web App. users are charged for usage of memory, so it doesn't make sense that this counter is not displayed.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. Unless we’re missing something here, there may be a disconnect in the communication. Our shared resources plans (Free and Basic) have memory limits as seen here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-subscription-service-limits#app-service-limits. However, there is no additional charge for the usage as there is a set fee for the plan level and for each additional instance. You may get throttled, depending on the plan you select, until you scale up or out, but there is no additional charge.

In any case, there is a bunch of monitoring available: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-monitor

Also, you can check in the portal under your web app settings, search for “quotas”, and also check out “Diagnose and solve problems” and hit “metrics per instance (app service plan)” which will show you memory used for the plan.

Thanks,
                Oded

• Add error message for failed authentication when remote debugging

It is very difficult to know why you repeatedly get login windows when you try to authenticate when remote debugging.

See the comment to this blog post:
                https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/benjaminperkins/2016/09/22/remote-debug-your-azure-app-service-web-app/

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • ASE internal and external with express route data flow

I am confused with ASE with internal and external. Can you explain the data flow for ASE with express route.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Web App unavailable page has incorrect links

When hitting a web app that is offline or not available, the returned page has incorrect links. The "Clearing Cache" link redirects to Windows Server. Please see the attached screenshot.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • extension search

'Choose Extension' blade now has long-long list.
                      It would be good to provide search extensions.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Make it self-service to capture some Fiddler traces for web requests

There are various scenarios when you would like to have a closer look at web requests, for example, to look at HTTP headers or when you are trying to understand where some traffic is coming from. Right now it's laborious and not self-service to capture Fiddler logs even for a limited time. It would be great if this were easy.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We are working on providing ability to run network traces from your instance. Currently. there is no UX for this operation but you can use ARMCLient to get this information. Please see usage below

Usage

Execute one of the following commands:
                          - Using ArmClient: ArmClient.exe POST “/subscriptions//resourceGroups//providers/Microsoft.Web/sites//networkTrace/start?duration=&api-version=2015-06-01”
                          - REST format: POST /subscriptions//resourceGroups//providers/Microsoft.Web/sites//networkTrace/start?duration=

Example: This will get network traces for site called “Antusage2” for 60 seconds.

armclient POST “/subscriptions//resourceGroups/Default-Web-WestUS/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/antusage2/networkTrace/start?durationInSeconds=60&api-version=2015-05-01”

After the duration has passed, .cap files will be stored into the site’s folder (\home\LogFiles\networkTrace). Download them from Kudu console to your local machine and open them with either Microsoft Network Monitor or WireShark (Both support .cap file format).

Notes

· Files will be saved after all capturing has been finished. Until then you will not see any files created under \home\LogFiles\networkTrace.

· If you don’t specify the duration, then it will default to maximum of 5 minutes and then…

• App Service Plan blade should have "Metrics per Instance (App Service plan)" menu

I hardly understand "Metrics per Instance (App Service plan)" menu is only appeared in WebApp blade not App Service Plan blade.
                          It would be better to put this menu on App Service Plan also.

8 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Deployment tutorial

If you Provide link to the Tutorial of deploying web app than lot of time will be saved. Now a days time is most important thing. developer always wants to test your service as quickly as possible.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  App Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Kiran,

We provide extensive documentation about deploying in a number of methods, a good place to start is here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/app-service-deploy-content-sync, but you can really check into all the deployment section docs to see what meets your needs.

In addition, you can use one of the samples we provide on www.azure.com.

If you’re still needing more help, reach out to us on the developer forums:
                              https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Thanks,
                              Oded

• Add support for remote debugging from Visual Studio 2017

Since Visual Studio 2017 is now release, it would be great to be able to remotely debug App Service from it.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Create dashboard graph of app/plan scale vs time

The graph of scale vs time which is displayed on App Service Plan>Scale out can't be pinned to the dashboard.

Please correct this, so we can see correlations between service load and response times with service scale.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Enable users to change Web Apps Deployment branch of local Git in Azure Portal

At the moment, in Azure Web Apps, we don't have any way to change out deployment branch and reflect the setting of local Git in Azure portal.

Though the feature was available in Classic portal, many customers are confused and can't find how to set and operate their Web Apps.

Can we have the feature ?

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the idea.

You’re right that this was easily available in the Classic Portal, however, that process was prone to user error. You can easily complete this in 2 ways: disconnect your deployment and connect a new one, or update the json object for the branch through resource.azure.com

You can go directly to that site, which will give you the highest level of all your resources, or from the web app’s settings menu, go to: Development Tools > Resource Explorer > SourceControl > Web > Update “branch” > POST.

Thanks,
                                    Oded

• Using an SSL certificates on multiple subscriptions.

Suppose there is a system consists of multiple Web Apps that belongs to different subscriptions.
                                    It is convenient if we can use one Azure SSL certificate on all these Web Apps regardless of their subscriptions.

16 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Re-enable Webjobs in ILB-ASE

It's really frustrating that the Webjobs option is greyed out in the portal for all our Web Apps that are in an ILB-ASE and that they are not accessible with our Azure credentials. We now have to create the url manually (https://portal.azure.com/#resource/subscriptions/<subscription-id>/resourceGroups/<resourcegroup-name>/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/<webapp-name>/webJobs) for every Web App before we can access the Web Job! When we finally have the right URL we have to use the credentials from the publish settings to get access to the specific Web Job, because the Azure credentials won't allow access. This really can't be best practice as we use RBAC to control access…

31 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • App Service Plan also clones when cloning a Web App only if the Web App and App Service Plan is in a different Resource group

When we clone a Web App, the App Service Plan will also clone if the Web App and App Service Plan is in a differnet resource group.
                                        This won't happen if the Web App and the App Service Plan is in the same resource group.

Repro Steps:
                                        1. Put a Web App and an App Service Plan in a different resource group.
                                        2. Clone the Web App from the Azure Portal ([Development Tools] - [Clone app]).
                                        3. Not only the Web App, but also the App Service Plan, which we selected when cloning Web App, will also been cloned in…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

In many situations, we have one instance out of several that experience memory or cpu issues. However, the alerts we configured for memory used and cpu used never get triggered. The alerts are based on the average usage of all instances. This does not alert us to problems we may have. We would like to have the ability to be able to alert on each individual instance and not an aggregate.

6 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base