Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for free tls/ssl certificates

I want to create a tls/ssl binding to a custom host-name with a free certificate

7,437 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    196 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a web hook to get notified of completed auto-swaps

Deployment slots with the auto-swap feature are useful to warm up the application before making it visible. Unfortunately, it is not possible to get feedback from the operation.

It would be nice to have a web hook that is invoked with the result of the operation (success/failure).

245 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure App Service Backup Alerts

Could email notifications please be added to the Azure App Service Backups. It would be nice to be notified on a daily/weekly basis if the backups of my App Services and completing successfully, partially successfully or failing.

157 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make Application Gateway WAF services available for non-ASE App Service plans

The Application Gateway and specifically WAF are useful even for simpler apps because of the OWASP and general security protections afforded.

App Service Environments are extremely costly compared to a loaded Standard S1 or Premium P1 App Service plan and the Application Gateway/WAF cannot be used without the ASE.

While there are WAF solutions provided by 3rd parties it would be great if the Azure solution used for ASE's was also available for standard App Service plans.

Thanks

136 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. DNS resolution is not working in Azure Web App for Containers (linux)

DNS resolution is not working in Web App for Containers (linux) when using custom docker image. The DHCP generated resolv.conf is broken. After using SSH to log in to the container trying nslookup google.com also fails with DNS resolution error.

See my sample project for more details:

https://github.com/henkosch/azure-webapp-dnstest

The problem is also mentioned in the comments section on this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-faq

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [Linux] Allow to access certicate store within linux app services

It is currently not possible to use certificates in Linux App Services as described in this blog post:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-certificates-in-azure-websites-applications/

Please add access to the azure certificate store within a linux container.

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Programmatically associating a Hybrid Connection to an Azure App Service is not possible

I believe that there should be a capability added to Azure App Services to allow for programmatically associating existing Hybrid Connections to an App Service instance. This can be done manually via the portal as shown in the attached image but cannot be done via Powershell, Azure CLI, or Azure REST API. Any upcoming features for this? Or is this already possible but I haven't yet been able to find out how? Thank you.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Powershell Set-AzureWebsite to toggle Always On

It seems like every option is available EXCEPT this. Seems like it could be bolted on similarly to the others, like -WebSocketsEnabled<Boolean>.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn495207.aspx

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  CLI/Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow App Service to Access Secret without version

Currently an App Service can access Secrets App Service Identity - but the secret version must be part of this configuration.

What would be helpful is to allow the App Service to get the latest version of the secret - that way a value can be centrally changed - without having to update the App Service configuration (to use the new version of the secret).

This will allow management of the data in the Key Vault - without requiring updates to the App Service to get the new value.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Web App on Linux MySQL support within the web app (same as Web Apps)

Enable MySQL within the Linux Web App, as the IIS Web Apps have.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Outbound ip addresses as an environment variable

We can get web app outbound ip addresses as a environment variable. It s too much simplier to get ip adresses from application.

Environment.GetVariable("OUTBOUND_IP_ADDRESS")

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support SSH to specific container in multi-container setup (Compose or Kubernetes)

Currently the docs (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-ssh-support) only describe setting up SSH access to a single container. But what if I have a multi container setup? For example PHP-FPM with an Nginx reverse proxy.

It seems the SSH access is only supported for the public facing container (in this case Nginx).

It would be great if I could setup SSH access to all containers.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. allow empty collection as a value of Set-AzureRmWebApp -AppSettings parameter

Attempting to clear AppSettings using
    Set-AzureRmWebApp -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroupName -Name $name -AppSettings @{}
    fails the validation. I believe this is a bug because it should be possible to clear all AppSettings this way.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. App Service Environment End-to-End Encryption

Hi - Could you add a feature which enables the end-to-end encryption of traffic within an App Service whereby communication between the frontend and worker roles can be secured using customer controlled TLS certificates.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable Azure Web App's Console, Extensions, Log Stream, Process Explorer features in App Service Environment (ASE)

Hi
    Long back in Feb 2017, an user raised an issue regarding enabling Console, Extensions, Log Stream, Process Explorer features in Azure App Service Environment (ASE) and the response from MS team was that this is a known issue and MS is working on it. But after that there was no update on this issue and it looks like that thread was not updated for a while.

I am still facing this issue in the Web App inside my ASE. Could you please give an update when will this feature be available inside ASE? These are all handy features in…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. web apps backup alarm

We have a lot of web apps with daily schedulled backup. We need to be able to set up an alarm to know when a backup fails

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Vnet sticky to slot

When switching slots currently if you have a vnet on one slot and not the other, the vnet is switched between slots. As this vnet may be pointing to a testing environment on one slot and a production environment on the other slot, it would make sense to have this be a sticky setting to the slot, with the option to make it global across the app in the case that all slots will be using the same vnet.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. The overwritten data in Connection stringsis not reflected in Backup Configuration.

When we choose the Backup Database from Backup configure after The connection strings is overwritten.There is a bug.That doesn't seen to have problem.
    Using the DevTools(F12),make sure sending datas. The overwritten data in Connection strings of Application setting is not reflected .
    we have to delete the data once and add new data to avoid this bug and update new data in application setting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. upgrade app service plan

Hopefully no one posted idea about upgrade app service plan in the different RG yet.

In my scenario, I would like to upgrade my App Service Plan from S3 to P2V2 as from the price wise is almost the same but has extra 20 ACU.

However, to be able to do that I have to create a new RG and create a new App Service Plan (P2V2) which it woul be fine until I have to clone the app services and assign it to that new RG and new ASP.

It will be difficult for me if we have more…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Right now there is no way to upgrade to Pv2 in some older scale units. We do have work planned about retrofitting the older scale units to include Pv2 in those as well. We don’t have a timeline to share, but it is something we are looking to enable.

Thanks,
    Oded

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base