Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please display a warning message that the main app will be stopped meanwhile the restoring process (snapshot preview) is taking effect.

Snapshots can be restored to the original web app, a slot of the web app, or any other web app in the same App Service Plan. While the restore operation is in progress, the web app will be stopped. It is strongly recommended to restore snapshots to a new slot instead of overwriting an existing slot in order to prevent data loss if the restore operation is unsuccessful.
    Snapshots contain both web app files and web app settings. You can choose to restore files only, or to restore the settings as well. All settings contained in regular backups are also…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bring your own storage for Web apps on winfows

Currently, there is no support for "bring your own storage" feature for Web apps on Windows. I'd like to mount azure file storage to my windows Web app. I understand currently app on Linux support this feature but not quite clear why it's not available on Windows.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Accessing APIs of Azure App service with SSL in MobileServiceClient(Xamarin mobile app).

Provide some option in MobileServiceClient (Xamarin mobile app, Android and iOS) to access APIs of Azure App service with SSL.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Generate internally-issued certificates

There should be a way to generate internally-issued certificates for ASE so ASE's have no legacy-dependency. Currently one has to have CA running in a VM to generate that for the domain.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Diagnose and Solve ] Allow users to email the full report generated in the App Service Diagnostics

Today we can copy reports when we investigate or troubleshoot an issue using App Service Diagnostics via Diagnose and solve . I would like to email that report to another person to explain business impact or provide notes on how to mitigate

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Audit file system on WebApps and log to Blob

Audit file system to detect malicious file changing.

Recently we experience intrusion into a Wordpress site on WebApp.
    There was a malicious "favicon.ico" icon file.
    We are investigating a feature to detect these type of malicious manipulation.

Currently exploring all files at every job is needed to detect, but it is not efficient because we update this site NOT frequently.

If WebApps have auditing file system and log to Blob,
    we can create custom alert rules with Azure Functions easily.

This is also an alternative way for implementing antimalware feature: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/17919064-antimalware-feature-on-web-apps-app-service

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Enable access to server config (e.g., mimeType) via Website portal

Need to be able to provide mimeType spec for extensions not supported by IIS out of the box, notably .svg for non-asp.net websites (e.g., HTML5). Right now, the website returns a 404 error for any svg image requested by the site, and the online solutions are all about web.config which doesn't affect non-asp.net sites as far as I know (and breaks the HTML5 site anyway). My example - polymer.azurewebsites.net

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support Azure AD V2.0 Authentication for Function Apps

I have a client application that would like to access a secured function app. The client application is getting a JWT bearer token from the Azure AD 2.0 endpoint.

In the authentication section of the App Service there is no way to add applications registered with the AD v2.0 endpoint.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. localcache

Better error messages when slot swaps fail due to issues with the application size exceeding the configured local cache size. Currently the only error is :

'Failed swapping site. Error: Cannot swap slots for site '***' because the worker process for 'staging' slot could not be started’

which gives no real insight into the actual failure.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. app service authentication - support convergence login for MicrosoftAccount defined at apps.dev.microsoft.com

Allow app service to support authentication from microsoft accounts apps configured with convergence...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Improve the SSL Settings interface

(1)Add alerts or warnings when a certificate is about to expire.
    (2)Change the font color on certificates that are soon to expire.
    (3)Combine the list for certificate and binding into a 2 column list so it is easier to see that you have the correct certificate bound. It is time consuming to continuously scroll up and down to match thumbprints.

SSL/TLS certificates are becoming a required element on the web today. I think it is time to improve this interface.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Optionally stop the web app while backing up

Some of my web apps have embedded databases that block the files they use. That prevents the backup from storing them (well, it actually stores a 0 byte file instead). This is not a big handicap if I make the backups manually, because I know the issue and I stop the web apps manually, but if I want to automate the backup I can't because almost always these files are locked...

One possible solution would be to add an option in the backup configuration to stop the web app before running and start it again after it has finished.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. [Linux] Web App for Containers set latest pushed tag as the container image

When a new tag is pushed to container repository the web app should be able to pick up the latest pushed tag and set it as the running image. This can be given as a switch setting (checkbox).Currently you are pointing the image at a specific tag.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Notification hook for manual scaling on an ASE

Scaling within an ASE is unreliable and often takes hours (although support maintains that it should only take 30-45min). We need a way of being notified on the status of the scaling operations. For example, an email notification, web hook, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The hours of scaling you’re describing, is that on ASE v1 or v2? v2 should have much faster scaling operations. If you encounter an issue on v2, please open a support ticket.

For the option of receiving notification for completed deployment, we will respond later after reviewing.

Thanks,
    Oded

15. [Linux] In "Drupal on Linux Web App with MySQL" it doesn't allow you to use local on instance DB but template states it have local MYSQL DB

Either the template is having some issues or it's wrongly stated in the template and local MySQL DB is not available in this template.
    In either case, you need to correct either the template or template description.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. App service high disk queue length

We have observed high app service disk queue length while testing an application hosted on App service plan . As per investigation along with the microsoft support engineer, it has been identified that the disk queue length metric has always been aggregated as a sum (Total) for the samples captured from a worker. So any small change in this metric on the worker will cause this to spike rapidly. Also multiple workers will additionally cause this counter to grow even faster. In short, this is not an actual reflection of the actual disk queue length at any point in time…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. REST API shouldn't return 0 when it doesn't have the actual data

Calling the REST API to get CPU or memory usage of an app service plan, if you ask for it in the last minute it can return 0 to you, when a few minutes later it will return the actual value for the same time, it seems it takes a while for the real data to be available to the API, however I think it's wrong to return incorrect data, it should not return a value until it has the real value.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. App services should show the max supported version of ASP.NET core

If you deploy an app with a version of .NET Core that isn't deployed on Azure yet, you get horrible to debug errors that you have to enable stdout logging on to get to the bottom of.

(Ultimatly editing csproj with PublishWithAspNetCoreTargetManifest set to false)

Confusing and time consuming. It would be great if Azure showed you some where on the app, a max supported version of .NET core and some kind of publishing warning if you try to push something higher.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. php/laravel, Django and NodeJS Deployment

I would like to see support for PHP/Laravel, DJango and seamless and possible just like i can do in heroku cli or how we do in asp.net core. It will be great if I don't need to worry about composer or pip or virtual environment. I push my app using git or from my repository, Azure App Service should auto detect my language and all the packages and install them on the fly, including root directories and environment variables. Also, web.config should be scrapped out entirely or auto-configured. {Heroku detects my php / Laravel and do all the configurations for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Have you tried looking into App Service hosted on Linux:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-intro

While the deployment won’t pull all your dependencies, you can still used a blessed image for your stack and even containerize your solution and host them on Linux.

One more item to look at is the new CLI “up” command we have for creating apps. You can check the quick session we had at Microsoft Ignite about this feature:
    https://myignite.techcommunity.microsoft.com/sessions/66652

We’ll leave this under review to see if there are any improvements to our deployment that will happen as part of Linux hosting.

Thanks,
    Oded

20. Add meaningful name for Principals in different slots

I have enabled MSI for web apps in different deployment slots. When trying to add a Principal under
    Home > Key vaults > XYZ - Access policies > Add access policy > Principal, it currently lists all principals that matches the search string with same name even if they belong to different deployment slots.

For example, if I have enabled MSI in web app XYZ and its Staging deployment slot, it should show as:
    XYZ
    XYZ/slots/Staging.
    Instead this is currently appearing as:
    XYZ
    XYZ

So it is difficult for the users to select the right one they need and it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base