Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Your management portal needs color themes

With all of the light blue, I can barely read any text in your management portal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to have a App Services slot with a public URL

I have building slot for my website on App Services. I would like to be able to hide the building slot from the internet as it is only used to deploy to before I do a swap.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Error when switching between portals to complete a task, the current subscription is not correct.

I originally found the bug when browsing a website in the new Azure portal and clicking on the associated web jobs tab. It opens up a blade suggesting to continue in the old portal since the new portal doesn't have controls yet, and it opens the old portal to the incorrect subscription and fails to find the associated website and shows the loading screen indefinitely.

It looks like this issue is actually because it's just not taking into account the current subscription when redirecting and this error could occur in any portal switch action.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. dont display items that dont work

There are a few items that don't work, but display anyway with the message that this item does not work, don't see the point, if you know it aint working, don't show it. for example: builds from GIT when using bitbucket, billing ( this always says calculating )

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. More transparent pricing

I'm considering scaling my app, because I need it to stay on, but I can't tell what the pricing is for switching to basic/standard. THat information is not on the page where I'm trying to make my decisions about what is right for me, which is SUPER annoying.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Cannot access "Authentication / Authorization" for my web app

trying to open "Authentication / Authorization" for my web app, it opens the page but there is nothing in there and shows that it is loading the page forever.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Media Wiki Added as a Service

I would like to see Media Wiki added as a deployment option or a service which anyone can deploy from Azure. I did not see any options for deploying any kind of Wiki on the Azure menus.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: New Azure portal shows incorrect website in summary info

In the new portal, I've clicked on one site (site1) from the browse websites list.
    The summary information shows the following:
    Default-Web-SoutheastAsia
    - Site2 (website) - Default 2 (web hosting plan)
    - Websites (5 instances) - app insights ..

Where site 2 is the previously selected website from that list rather than the current site. This is particularly confusing when you have sites that only differ by their last few characters which are chopped off by overzealous shortening (another bug)

The impact of this is that the WHP that is shown is not the WHP of the selected website, but…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Disable startup file for PHP

On the Azure Web App for Linux, it appears to be possible to specify a startup file when using PHP. However, per confirmation through a support request and as vaguely implied in the following document, the startup file doesn't work for PHP, only for other stacks.
    "For Node.js, you specify the PM2 configuration file or your script file. For .NET Core, specify your compiled DLL name as dotnet <myapp>.dll. For Ruby, you can specify the Ruby script that you want to initialize your app with."
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-faq#built-in-images

Please either make it possible to use startup files with PHP, or disable the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

I’m sorry if the information is not clear enough. We are always looking to make the pricing and plans information better.
    Take a look at the details of each offering: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/app-service/plans/
    And also at the overview of the App Service plans: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-web-sites-web-hosting-plans-in-depth-overview/

Thanks,
    Oded, Azure App Service

12. Documentation for Always On Setting

I think it would be helpful if the documentation for the Always On setting made it clear that certain events like underlying OS security patching, data center maintenance, etc., may trigger web app restarts. This is somewhat obvious to people with a history of working with IIS and armed with the understanding that WAAAS runs atop IIS on Windows Servers, but I don't think it's reasonable to conclude that people will necessarily assume this or have such a background, especially as Azure matures.

As an example as to why I think this needs to be clarified: One could reasonably expect…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. There is an error while trying to create a web app with umbraco.

With a dreamspark subscription we cannot create an umbraco cms web app, even though we have the ability to create every other web app.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi there,

The DreamSpark account limits you to consuming services with a free tier of pricing. At the time you posted this there was no free tier for SQL DB. That has changed now so if your need is still there, you can create using the free tier for SQL. This can be completed through the Azure Portal.

Thanks,
    Oded, Azure App Service

14. Option to select repository deployment location from source control

As a general rule of thumb, source contolling a wordpress site from root is a bad idea.
    Is there the possibility of building in the option of slecting the directory/ies to deploy themes or plugins.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 他の App Service の存在に関係なく、プランを変更できるようにする

App Service のプランを変更しようとしても、現在同じプランに設定されている他の App Service も影響を受けるため、変更ができない。

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. I’m not quite following on the issue with the App Service Plan. See if the overview doc for the plans helps out: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-web-sites-web-hosting-plans-in-depth-overview/.

If not, feel free to reach out to us via the developer forums:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Thanks,
    Oded

16. allowing other languages for URL/DNS naming

it would be great if i could name something in any language other than english

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

alert per instance, instead of aggregate across all instances

In many situations, we have one instance out of several that experience memory or cpu issues. However, the alerts we configured for memory used and cpu used never get triggered. The alerts are based on the average usage of all instances. This does not alert us to problems we may have. We would like to have the ability to be able to alert on each individual instance and not an aggregate.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! Currently, under the Diagnose and Solve tab in Azure Portal, you can view “Metrics per Instance” under Tools on the right hand side.

However, we understand that instance specific data is important to highlight for our customers. As a result, we are currently working on a completely new Diagnose and Solve experience that will include more instance specific Web App analysis that you are looking for, which will be coming soon in several weeks.

18. Sub-par

The lack of an ability to access content in the event of an expired subscription is sub-par. I can see how these services would fit nicely into an enterprise environment, where there would people responsible for managing the subscriptions. The services are stable, secure and relatively easy to manage. Yet there is still no way to pull out a deployed web app after the subscription has expired. That's why I want nothing to do with Azure any more. I mean seriously guys, how hard/resource consuming can it be to pull some files off of a hard drive.

...Also i'm pretty…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. How about deploying files directly from the file system rather than adding from a GIT hub or VS

How about deploying files directly from the file system rather than adding from a GIT hub or VS. User will be able add the compiled files to virtual directory directly by click on browse button.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. How about real live support like every other hosting provider on the planet?

How about real live support like every other hosting provider on the planet?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base