Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please have a reliable way for applications to get their slot name

Right now our application code has no way of reliably figuring out which slot it is operating within. WEBSITEHOSTNAME is invalid when performing slot swaps and APPSETTINGWEBSITESITE_NAME is the same for all slots.

Also, we need the slot name before processing any HTTP requests, so can't really parse the hostname in an HTTP request either. This should be the responsibility of the hosting service to tell which slot is hosting the application.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. After Domain Transfer to Azure App Service Domain, there should be a way to check the Status of the transfer.

After Domain Transfer to Azure App Service Domain, there should be a way to check the Status of the transfer.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Adding variable support on tag field when deploying docker container on WebApp container

I'm using docker for all the Ci pipeline, that works great.
    But for the deployment pipeline, I would like to deploy the generated docker tag name based on the BuildNumber but actually it's not supported.

When I set tag $(Release.Artifacts.App.Build.BuildId), the logs

I can see in the logs:

2018-11-12T16:21:37.3420228Z Updating App Service Application settings. Data: {"DOCKERCUSTOMIMAGE_NAME":"myregistry.azurecr.io/app:$(Release.Artifacts.Api.Build.BuildId)"}

The variable is not resolved...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support App Service and Global VNET Peering

Currently you can integrate your Web App with a VNET and it will support the use of regional VNET peerings. However there is no support for Global VNET peerings. This is important if you run a dual region active active web app that points to a stateful single region backend like Azure SQL DB. We use Azure SQL DB failover groups. By using Private Links within a VNET we can securely connect our Web App to the SQL DB. However the Web App in the secondary region can't traverse the Global Peering link.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Users with Reader Access to View App Service Plan Scale Out Run History

Allow Users with Reader Access to View App Service Plan Scale Out History. This view is possible with Contributor access. However, in Prod environments, we cannot grant Contributor access to users and users frequently request this visibility to the Scale Out Run History.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Preserve custom DNS Alias

When restoring a web app from backup, and you choose the option to ignore custom DNS alias, leave the existing ones in place rather than deleting them. This is useful when restoring a dev environment from prod and you want to keep the dev custom DNS mappings / SSL certs in place.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Increase app settings variable name character limit

App Settings variable names are currently limited to 64 characters on Linux Web Apps and anything over is silently truncated. As far as I know, this "feature" is not documented anywhere and can cause a lot of headaches.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. KQL data in Log Analytics workspaces unable to split by instance since no instance column available.

In the app service tab, when aggregating the average response time, I am to apply an additional splitting to show aggregate groupings by instance.
    Since I am running a scale out deployment, I can see which instance is utilizing the most calls and how balance it is.
    Similar to the image included.

However, when I try to run KQL in Log Analytics workspaces, while I am able to aggregate by the same metrics as the below, I am unable to group by the instance.
    In addition, I honestly don’t see a way to group by the instance, only when I…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. How to activate the Tubi TV channel?

Let us activate Tubi TV and watch entertaining videos, shows, and much more. Multiple device platforms are available to stream the channel. Select the best among Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chrome cast and Apple TV. Let us begin tubi tv activate process.
    Complete the device set up as the first step
    Activate the network connection
    Add the channel and collect the activation code
    Provide the code visiting the page, tubitv.com/activate
    Sign in with the channel account, if necessary
    If you come across issues, check the activation page and the code used .Use the appropriate troubleshooting guide.
    Let us activate Tubi…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Filtering Create App Service Managed Certificates selection input

Hi currently when we go to Create App Service Managed Certificates dialog box.

It only allows us to select from a dropdown. Instead it should be a typeahead.

As once we have more number of custom domains to select from, its really difficult to find what we need.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. App Servcie - Mobile Apps needs way to do both (Force Authentication) and Allow Triggered Behavior

I have been using Mobile Apps for a whle now... but am running into a scenerio where i need timer/trigger functionality to make an API call say every 10 min.

Azure Functions making the API call to my App Services - Mobile App seems like the way to go. However, in this article "Configure your App Service app to use Azure Active Directory sign-in" Step 5: I have the express settings forcing users to log in or be redirected. Other than having Azure Functions open up a DB connection to interact with the DB directly, is there a better way…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow filtering for Custom domains

If you have more than 10 custom domains setup on your web-app its really difficult to search one you really need to have a look at.

Kindly give us an option to filter out custom domain based on a search input.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. MIM Web Service Connector Bug - TLS 1.1/1.2 not supported

I've verified on both 1.1.830.0 and 1.1.861.0 of the MIM Web Service Connector https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51495 that these connectors do not support TLS 1.1/1.2.
    When trying to connect to a service that requires TLS 1.1/1.2 errors are generated as per the attached screenshot.

Can support please be added for TLS 1.1/1.2 services?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to define virtual directories without defining the parent directory first

When creating virtual directories under Configuration > Path Mappings, our customer would like to be able to define a multi-level directory (such as /foo/bar) without defining the parents (/foo) in advance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. AAD authentication for FTP

I want to have the FTP to use Azure AD authentication rather than using the other 2 methods available now (App, User Credentials).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Assign users or groups per virtual application

It would be great to configure assigned users or groups per virtual application in a web app instead of on the whole web app level. because in our case, we have to have different users for different virtual applications.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Enable Intra Application communication with in Azure App Service environment

Currently say for example we have 2 WebApp's deployed inside Azure App Service Envrionment with ILB, and WebApp1 has calls to WebApp2 then custom DNS Server has to be deployed and configured in order to enable communication (Name resolution).

Would be helpful if we can have this additional avoided unless we need any additional name resolution. Is there a possibility?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base