Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. MIM Web Service Connector Bug - TLS 1.1/1.2 not supported

I've verified on both 1.1.830.0 and 1.1.861.0 of the MIM Web Service Connector https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51495 that these connectors do not support TLS 1.1/1.2.
    When trying to connect to a service that requires TLS 1.1/1.2 errors are generated as per the attached screenshot.

Can support please be added for TLS 1.1/1.2 services?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. AAD authentication for FTP

I want to have the FTP to use Azure AD authentication rather than using the other 2 methods available now (App, User Credentials).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Documentation gaps App Service Linux

Currently there are plenty of resources around App Service for Windows plans. Including Kudu WiKi (https://github.com/projectkudu/kudu/wiki). However the App Service Linux is very different from Windows and there is no single place where the differences are outlined. Nor is there a documentation to explain the Linux App Service plans in the details the Windows plans are described.
    And it is very confusing sometimes to read documentation and not understand is this about Windows or Linux.
    Azure Monitor integration - the IO metrics are always showing zeroes (0) when it comes to Linux plans.
    Last, but no least, there…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Assign users or groups per virtual application

It would be great to configure assigned users or groups per virtual application in a web app instead of on the whole web app level. because in our case, we have to have different users for different virtual applications.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable Intra Application communication with in Azure App Service environment

Currently say for example we have 2 WebApp's deployed inside Azure App Service Envrionment with ILB, and WebApp1 has calls to WebApp2 then custom DNS Server has to be deployed and configured in order to enable communication (Name resolution).

Would be helpful if we can have this additional avoided unless we need any additional name resolution. Is there a possibility?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. secure the on premise web api .net core 2.0 using azure AD and getting postman and swagger ui to work

Does anyone have a good video or coding example that I can follow? I need to make sure the secured api piece works using postman and how I can get swagger ui to work also. Because My api and my web application are both on premise can I use Azure AD for OAuth2 or do I have to create my own identity server?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. App Service Certificate

When you purchase APP Service certificate you also need to specify domain name. Can you change this Domain name later on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add Azure tags option for Application service Environment

Today Application service Environment cannot be tagged. It causes issues with Charge Back with Billing and cost management

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Advanced application restart gated by Delete lock

At the moment, if there is a Delete lock applied to an App Service, it prevents the Advanced application restart feature from working. Reference ticket 119060721001994.

It appears that Advanced application restart is an older feature implemented before locks were exposed, and it issues a DELETE HTTP request to perform the Advanced application restart, which is denied due to the Delete lock being in place for the app service.

This is inconsistent with other actions that effectively do the same thing - via Restart, Scale Out/In, Scale Up/Down, and Kudu process kills. Note that Kudu is the only way to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. VNet Integration documentation remove "production workloads" reference

Although VNet integration feature is in preview, online documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/web-sites-integrate-with-vnet) states that feature "...is supported for Windows app production workloads with the following limitation...". In our case none of the limitations applied so we decided to use it in production. Unfortunately once live we experienced connectivity issues that resulted to be related to missing reconfiguration mechanisms (reconfigure the regional VNet integration) on failure.
    Talking to Azure Support I understood issues like this are being investigated by the Azure Product group team and will be fixed in upcoming versions. Talking to them my understanding of the situation is that…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make Small App Service Plans (S1/B1) more reliable

We've faced a issue of random high CPU in App Service Plan (S1), Azure support says that it is due to internal monitoring. But my suggestion is why to keep app service plan on such low resources that internal monitoring services suck the CPU / Memory resources.

In Short - Microsoft should make the azure internal services to use minimum resources / increase resources for small app service plans such as S1.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. remove server header from the front end servers

Please remove the server header from the web app front end server and from API Management servers.
    It does not matter if our web app removes the header, the front end server still has the header

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. make Active Directory Password parameter in .Net Core like .Net Fwk.

This a real trouble.
    If there actually IS the parameter in te connection string, AND it is displayed as a valid connection string in Azure Portal, it MUST be supported.

Over and over, the features and documentations make it harder to use. And that make non sense.
    I teach, train and Support lots of developers from all around the world, explaining them that it is simple to work with MSFT technologies . But this is not the way MSFT make things now.
    Of course, it must be supported in AzureWeb apps in order to be useful for customers.
    TIA

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Use Consul with Azure Web Apps

I have a large number of services/clients hosted in many ways and want to create a service discovery solution across them.
    I wanted to go further with the consul approach, however, since I also have Azure Web Apps in my environment, those apps cannot be used with Consul. At least, if you consider this Stack Overflow question https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48507612/using-consul-with-azure-app-services

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. App Services user credential error not shown to user

I recently changed the subscription owner which wiped out the previous user credentials for web deploy. I was trying to create and save "User Credentials" again in the Azure Portal, but the "Saving Credentials" notification would never finish. Using Azure CLI, I came to know the actual error which is "The publishing username has to be globally unique, and the name you provided has already been taken by another Azure customer. Please type in a different name." It would have been nicer if Azure Portal would have shown the same error.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable surfacing all attributes from Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_TCP (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394341(v=vs.85).aspx)

We have been experiencing sporadic times of high dependency latency. Understanding where this is coming from would help narrow down a long term solution.

Enable surfacing all attributes from Win32_PerfRawData_Tcpip_TCP https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394341(v=vs.85).aspx

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. MIM Web Service Connector Bug - Endpoint names starting with number cannot be validated

When trying to configure the MIM Web Service Connector host entry, it will fail to validate if the host name begins with numerical value such as 1234-TestingWS.azurewebsites.net.

Please update the validation criteria for the connector

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Select ASE Front End Scale Pricing Tier from Azure portal, using CSP Subscription

I trying to change the ASE Front End size from Azure portal using CSP Subscription, but Pricing Tier is blank and can not be selected.

I know that it is possible to respond using REST API, Azure PowerShell, etc.

Can I setting on Azure portal in the future ?

Best regards.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Support Always On when Authentication required

When an App Service is configured to require authentication (with AAD at least, haven't tried with other providers) and no Anonymous requests then it appears that the Always On "pings" will get intercepted and rejected (401.71 Unauthorized). Such configurations should be supported for Always On.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base