Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ETW providers

Allow us to add other ETW providers to the Profiler trace. For example, System.Net traces - in .NET Core the only way to get System.Net traces is via ETW, which the only way to get an ETW trace out of App Services is by the DaaS Profiler Trace. If we can customize the trace to capture a custom list of ETW providers, then we can open-up so much possibility.
    One downside of that is ETW providers that folks shouldn't have access to. You would probably need to build a blacklist of providers that are off-limits. OR, you could add sets…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Portal support for installing an SSL certificate direct from Key Vault

In an ARM template I can install my SSL certificate direct from Key Vault, by adding a "Microsoft.Web/certificates" resource.

The Azure portal equivalent is to download the PFX from Key Vault to my computer, and upload it back to portal in the App Service SSL Binding blade. And lookup the password from wherever I saved it, and type it.

It would be more secure and more convenient if I could just enter the Key Vault and secret name on the SSL Bindings blade. I wouldn't even need access to the Key Vault myself. The ARM provider works because the "Microsoft…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The az cli sets all settings to "slotSetting": true

We have a json file with settings in this format:

{
    "slotSetting": false,
    "name": "DevSupportMode",
    "value": "false"
    }

When we try to use this file to set the settings on the appservice like this:

az webapp config appsettings set -g $ResourceGroupName -n $WebAppName -s $SlotName --settings @$fileName

Everything works fine except that all settings are set as slotSettings in the Azure app service even if we set that to false.

az reports that the settings are set to false in the text it gives back when sending the command.
    {
    "name": "SupportedCultures",
    "slotSetting": false,
    "value": "en-GB"
    }

It seems to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hybrid Connections - Allow them to be designated to a slot and not swapped

Allow Hybrid Connections to be pinned to a specific slot like app settings and connections strings. Especially since connection strings and hybrid connections are typically codependent.

Hybrid connections are designed to retrieve data from on-premises sources. 99% of the time, you don't want to swap that. I don't want a swapped slot to start pulling data from somewhere else.

Say you have a Production and UAT slot. When I promote UAT into production, I still want the production slot to still use the production hybrid connection and the same for UAT.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable dev/test plans for Web App for Containers (Windows)

Currently, Web App for Containers (Windows) only allows selecting production plans PC2-4.

Please allow using dev/test plans for lower cost during development.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to protect deployment slots from being indexed by search engines

Please provide the ability for Web App deployment slots to reply with a NOINDEX directive to search engines, either with response headers or a custom robots.txt file for the slots.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Notification hook for manual scaling on an ASE

Scaling within an ASE is unreliable and often takes hours (although support maintains that it should only take 30-45min). We need a way of being notified on the status of the scaling operations. For example, an email notification, web hook, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The hours of scaling you’re describing, is that on ASE v1 or v2? v2 should have much faster scaling operations. If you encounter an issue on v2, please open a support ticket.

For the option of receiving notification for completed deployment, we will respond later after reviewing.

Thanks,
    Oded

8. Alert for when the App Service platform is scheduled for a new .NET Core version upgrade

An alert should be raised when a .NET Core version upgrade is scheduled for the App Service platform. Ideally, the alert should occur well in advance of the actual upgrade to give application teams time to prepare.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Search Webjob logs by Date and Time

I look in to Azure Portal Web Job Logs- to find any errors that occurred while executing the Web job (for our application) and then replay the function to process it correctly.

The problem I am facing is - The Azure Web Job Logs display only 10 at a time as well as its says N days ago, which is not helpful. I need to click “Older” button many times to go to a particular date and time.

It will be helpful, if you allow us to Search by date (From and To), that helps to narrow the search logs.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Adding the ability to alert off of total TCP connections. This can help to know before hand if there will be any crash before reaching thre

Adding the ability to alert off of total TCP connections. This can help to know before hand if there will be any app crash before reaching threshold.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The java example from github (mysql-spring-boot-todo-master) has so many issues with it. This is supposed to be simple tutorial.

The java example from github (mysql-spring-boot-todo-master) has so many issues with it. This is supposed to be simple tutorial.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow easy conversion between 'web app' types, especially to/from API apps

My team initially created our API on a web-app service, it seems like we're not alone. When we started experimenting with the API mgmt service, it wouldn't accept it for import. I had to delete the web-app, provision a new API-app, migrate the code to it and only then would API mgmt import it.

For these cases, a conversion process to/from API-app would be very useful

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add AzPSModules to App Service environment variable

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/707ba677-70b6-4d61-98c9-049ec6e21a4e/request-for-az-module-in-web-app?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview#a09fdf90-1a3a-466d-934d-32805d222002

With reference to this post, I have been using Az Module because AzureRm will be deprecated in future, I think that Az Module should be added into PSModulePath in Application Settings so that the setting will persist instead of appending the Az Module Path everytime the script starts.

Refer to the quote in the post for more detailed information.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Protect sensitive variables in Kudu explorer by default

Kudu process explorer exposes raw values of connections strings with passwords and environment variables via /api/processes/ and /api/settings.
    I think they should be masked or encrypted by default.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Advanced application restart gated by Delete lock

At the moment, if there is a Delete lock applied to an App Service, it prevents the Advanced application restart feature from working. Reference ticket 119060721001994.

It appears that Advanced application restart is an older feature implemented before locks were exposed, and it issues a DELETE HTTP request to perform the Advanced application restart, which is denied due to the Delete lock being in place for the app service.

This is inconsistent with other actions that effectively do the same thing - via Restart, Scale Out/In, Scale Up/Down, and Kudu process kills. Note that Kudu is the only way to…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. [Linux] In "Drupal on Linux Web App with MySQL" it doesn't allow you to use local on instance DB but template states it have local MYSQL DB

Either the template is having some issues or it's wrongly stated in the template and local MySQL DB is not available in this template.
    In either case, you need to correct either the template or template description.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Fix Visual Studio's Web App publishing to not require the Azure Environment Selector

As of Visual Studio version 15.7.1, despite assurances to the contrary, the ability to use Gov credentials in Visual Studio to provision Web Apps/App Services is broken and will not work without the Azure Environment Selector plugin, except in very rare cases. This is based on real-world observation in 3 classes across a 3 week timespan. Users enter their credentials and are presented with "no subscription", with the workaround to be to delete the account in VS, add the plugin, restart VS, select Gov, restart VS, and then move forward.

This works in other applications (see Azure Storage Explorer), where…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. az ad app update does not work for groupMembershipClaims=None

The Azure CLI does not work for value None in
    az ad app update --id <Id here> --set groupMembershipClaims=None

cfr. convo with @azuresupport on https://twitter.com/IBruyninckx/status/1174735866692087810?s=20

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  CLI/Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base