Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Don't allow duplicate IP's to be entered in the IP whitelist on VM's or services

My problem was specific to a web app. We had a duplicate IP restrictions list that caused the below error.

ModuleName IpRestrictionModule
    Notification BEGIN_REQUEST
    HttpStatus 500
    HttpReason Internal Server Error
    HttpSubStatus 19
    ErrorCode The data is invalid.
    (0x8007000d)
    ConfigExceptionInfo \?\C:\DWASFiles\Sites\murkinservice\Config\applicationhost.config ( 384) :Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'add' with combined key attributes 'ipAddress, subnetMask, domainName' respectively set to '10.10.10.10, 255.255.255.255, '

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. WebApp custom DNS with private DNS Name

Custom DNS HostName for a WebApp is working exactly in the same way in both Azure and Azure Stack, with both ownership and record check against a public Internet DNS server. That's pretty cool for public facing web applications, but represents a security issue for :
    1)Intranet applications.(hosted on Azure or AzureStack)
    - Custom Domain Names makes sence not only for Internet but Intranet too.
    - We don't want to expose intranet application names publicly to the wild...
    2)Multi-tenant AzureStack
    - Each customer would like to have it's own custom domain for its applications, and not use the *.appservice.local.azurestack.external or…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Display slots should list their full name in the resource lists.

When you are viewing resources in the "All Resources" blade or in the "Resource Group" blade all slots are just listed using only their slot name, if you have many different web apps that all use slots you will see the same name repeated several times (see "Example Resource Group.PNG").

I suggest you display the name from the resources blade the same way you display it in the delete menu if you are deleting the base web app "BaseName-SlotName" (See "delete example.PNG")

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. DNS resolution is not working in Azure Web App for Containers (linux)

DNS resolution is not working in Web App for Containers (linux) when using custom docker image. The DHCP generated resolv.conf is broken. After using SSH to log in to the container trying nslookup google.com also fails with DNS resolution error.

See my sample project for more details:

https://github.com/henkosch/azure-webapp-dnstest

The problem is also mentioned in the comments section on this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-faq

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. REST API shouldn't return 0 when it doesn't have the actual data

Calling the REST API to get CPU or memory usage of an app service plan, if you ask for it in the last minute it can return 0 to you, when a few minutes later it will return the actual value for the same time, it seems it takes a while for the real data to be available to the API, however I think it's wrong to return incorrect data, it should not return a value until it has the real value.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Manage databases with phpmyadmin

I would be great to manage mysql databases trough phpmyadmin utility as we can do it in MySQL-in-app

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Free/Shared Tier App Service Instances to have Static IP Addresses

For a reasonable fee ($1-2/month), I would like to be able to assign a static IP address to each App Service running under the Free or Shared tiers. I do not have a need for an SSL cert, custom domain, multiple instances (starting at $55.80 at the time of this writing). There are no shortage of competitors (DigitalOcean, Linode, Vultr, etc.) who will give me more than the resources of a free tier Azure App Service plus a dedicated IPv4 and dedicated IPv6 address range for $5 or less per month.

I understand Azure's enterprise customer focus, but I also…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Optionally stop the web app while backing up

Some of my web apps have embedded databases that block the files they use. That prevents the backup from storing them (well, it actually stores a 0 byte file instead). This is not a big handicap if I make the backups manually, because I know the issue and I stop the web apps manually, but if I want to automate the backup I can't because almost always these files are locked...

One possible solution would be to add an option in the backup configuration to stop the web app before running and start it again after it has finished.

Thanks!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) and the count for each web app within a particular app service plan.

See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) for each web app within a particular app service plan. I have had issues were all web apps in that service plan were failing when accessing sql server or service bus relay (anything that needs an outgoing tcp connection) because the number of open tcp connections exceeded the plan limit. I had to request the information from support to figure out what web apps had the majority of the open sockets.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Linux Static Site on Nginx

One of the most common web techniques today is static generated web sites. Ideally, there would be an option along with Node, Php etc for Static HTML. This would allow configuration for just running Nginx web servers to host static sites.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide an interface for dictating logic to the load balancer, or allow us to nuke instances

The load balancer for an App Plan is extremely simple minded in that it will always distribute load evenly.

This doesn't work in a production environment with real users.

e.g. if a webjob running on one machine picks up an intensive task from a queue, consuming all of the machine's resources, the load balancer will still forward users/requests to the affected machine.

Please provide some sort of control over the load balancer. Even just a basic interface to provide basic rules.

If you won't provide that, then at least instead allow us to nuke instances ourselves and provide us with…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

For heterogeneous workloads, the recommendation is to split the apps apart into separate app service plans. For example, webjobs isolated to in an app service plan separate and apart from the app service plan(s) running web or API applications.

We will keep this item open marked as “under review” because there are plans to onboard the per-worker metrics to the Azure Monitor feature, at which point programmatic scaling decision can be made from those metrics.

Currently worker metrics can be viewed from the UX by clicking into “Diagnose and Solve Problems” link for an app service plan. There will be a link in the UX blade that opens titled “Metrics per instance”. Drilling into that link will pull up another UX blade showing CPU usage (amongst other statistics) broken out by individual worker VMs.

13. Azure App Service Refresh Quotas not working properly

After clicking on refresh, it continues to add Usage, I think minor error in calculation script.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Metric and alert for Web App file system used quota

We would like to setup an automatic alert that fires when the file storage of an app plan is reaching its limits.

Ideally it will be great to have a metric that tells the % of storage (quota) consumed so we can set an alert on top of that metric.

183 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Accessing APIs of Azure App service with SSL in MobileServiceClient(Xamarin mobile app).

Provide some option in MobileServiceClient (Xamarin mobile app, Android and iOS) to access APIs of Azure App service with SSL.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A method to allow folks to access the FTP transfer logs when ftp is used to deploy code changes to their azure web apps.

Allow site admins to access the ftp transfer logs when ftp is the selected method used to make web site deployment updates. We use ftp to allow site updates, and we've had an incident where having access to those logs would be very helpful.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. The overwritten data in Connection stringsis not reflected in Backup Configuration.

When we choose the Backup Database from Backup configure after The connection strings is overwritten.There is a bug.That doesn't seen to have problem.
    Using the DevTools(F12),make sure sending datas. The overwritten data in Connection strings of Application setting is not reflected .
    we have to delete the data once and add new data to avoid this bug and update new data in application setting.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. [Azure web app LINUX] VSTS deploy to slot

Currently I am using VSTS for my CI/CD to azure web app linux
    However, unfortunately, there's still a pretty significant downtime for every deployment.

I tried to create a staging slot to minimize the downtime, and swap to production. however, VSTS doesn't allow me to deploy to my staging slot.

I created a github issues too here https://github.com/Microsoft/vsts-tasks/issues/4460

If I can't deploy to my slot, what's the point of having slot in the first place? Please prioritize this as I think this is a pretty important feature

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Way to monitor Web App connections regardless of state

I had an issue where my web app was unable to open new connections because too many were open. The metrics-per-instance reports for monitoring connections only show open and close-wait state connections. For whatever reason the connections impacting my app were in another state and hence were not shown.

I believe I have resolved my issue, but I cannot check on the health of the app without asking an Azure support technician to assist.

It can also be misleading when troubleshooting to see 80 connections in the report, when there are actually 3500 in use.

Thanks!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Announce user-owned IP blocks

I believe if an organization or company owns existing IP assets such as an IPv4 /24 from a RIR such as ARIN or the APNIC, they should be able to provide Microsoft with a LOA (Letter of Authorization) and other additional information and be able to use their own IPs on MS Azure.

Other cloud services are already offering this, and I see no reason why MS can't do it as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base