Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for free tls/ssl certificates

I want to create a tls/ssl binding to a custom host-name with a free certificate

8,069 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    221 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We understand that lack of support for naked domains is limitation. We are working with our partner teams to bring support for naked domains to this feature. You can vote and keep track of the progress here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/38981932-add-naked-domain-support-to-app-service-managed-ce.

Also, we are working to bring App Service Managed Certificates to Free and Share tiers. You can vote and keep track of this here: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/39223321-support-app-service-managed-certificates-on-free-a

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Add ability to reach non-RFC 1918 ip addresses for ASP with VNet integration and VNet peering

The limitation with App Service Plans that you can't reach non-RFC 1918 addresses with a VNet integrated app through VNet peering is limiting.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/web-sites-integrate-with-vnet#regional-vnet-integration

"Regional VNet Peering
    * You can only reach addresses that are in the RFC 1918 range. Those are addresses in the 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16 address blocks."

Please add the ability to reach non-RFC 1918 addresses in the given scenario, also for App Service Plans/ not only App Service Environment.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. VNet Integration documentation remove "production workloads" reference

Although VNet integration feature is in preview, online documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/web-sites-integrate-with-vnet) states that feature "...is supported for Windows app production workloads with the following limitation...". In our case none of the limitations applied so we decided to use it in production. Unfortunately once live we experienced connectivity issues that resulted to be related to missing reconfiguration mechanisms (reconfigure the regional VNet integration) on failure.
    Talking to Azure Support I understood issues like this are being investigated by the Azure Product group team and will be fixed in upcoming versions. Talking to them my understanding of the situation is that…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable VNET integration for App Service on Linux without ASE

I would really appreciate it to be able to use the VNet integration and hybrid connections for Linux App service without needing to multiply my costs by paying for an app service environment just for one app service.

Here is a similar idea, but it got resolved because of ASE. I think however there should be a solution without ASE.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/32534479--linux-enable-vnet-integration-for-app-service-on

130 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make certificate deployment idempotent

When including a Microsoft.Web/certificates resource in an ARM template, the deployment will fail with "Another certificate exists with same thumbprint XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at location xxxx in the Resource Group xxxxxx." if the certificate already exists.

The deployment should be idempotent like all of the other resource types and not fail if the resource already exists.

Otherwise, the certificate has to be deployed manually and cannot be included in an ARM template used for CI/CD deployments (ie: from VSTS)

226 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello everyone,

Please see the article below for instructions to address this error message. The solution is to specify the name of the certificate in your CI/CD workflow (instead of relying on the auto-generated certificate name). The deployment is idempotent if the ARM template specifies the certificate name.

https://dotnetdevlife.wordpress.com/2020/02/08/common-errors-when-uploading-certificates-to-azure-app-service/

Best,
    Jason

6. Add option for zip deployments so they ignore timestamps. NPM 5.6 Issue.

NPM Versions over 5.6 cause node_modules to have their datetime set to 1985 on npm publish.

What this means is that any zip deployment on a project that uses node causes incorrect installs. (package-lock, state version x.2, but in reality, its got x.1 installed, depending on the semvar, this could be a breaking change)

I propose we allow an option to ignore timestamps so that existing projects can easily get their sites back to being updated.

This is a big deal for any applications which are under heavy security scrutiny as they probably rely on artifacts.

For more information, see…

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Web Apps vnet integration without ASE

The Web Apps have a VNET Configuration section.
    This becomes very useful in consuming database/storage/keyvault via subnet endpoint(s) without employing the expensive App Service environment (ASE).

unfortunately it has been in preview since last Aug 2018. I worked with product team to get the bug fixed (~Mar 2019) i.e it could not talk to SQL PaaS DB over endpoint.

Please if you can help release that functionality so we can use this in prod.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add support for Websocket connections when AAD authentication is enabled.

Websockets do not work on Linux containers if AAD authentication is turned on. This effectively forces Linux containers to operate without any authentication services when we use Websockets.

This severely hampers adoption of WebApps for us as we cannot enable authentication, so we will move the container on-prem.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Upgrade Host OS version for WebApp for Windows Container

Our team is experimenting Web App for (Windows) Container. I got error when trying to upload docker image:

Cannot run this Operating System/Version in Windows Containers. Maximum supported OS version is 10.0.14393.9999.

===> Our web app can only run with 1709 or later. Does it have a plan to upgrade host OS version?

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow IP Restrictions to be a Slot Setting

In the same way as we have with App Settings it should be possible to make the IP Restrictions a slot setting (sticky) so that they don't migrate when you swap slots. This could be per IP even....

116 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add a lower plan than basic, equivalent to A0 virtual machine

Basic plan is too much expensive for a small website, it works very well on shared, but you don't want add support to HTTPS.
    But I don't need so much resources, Basic plan is too much powerful for me.
    On an A0 virtual machine with 0,75 Gb of RAM works very well, but I don't want manage a virtual machine.
    Why can't you create a lower tier plan than basic for web apps?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enable authenication on Azure static website

Azure static websites are really a good option to quickly turn documents to the website. But due to the lack of authentication feature, users can't use this to publish official contents.
    This feature will help users to leverage static website and at the same time ensure that it's available to only targeted audience.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make authentication/authorization live feature. It is currently in preview for linux webapps

Authentication and authorization is in preview for quite long time. When can we expect a stable release of the auth feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

The Authentication/Authorization feature for Linux Web Apps, hosted in code or container, is in GA status. We’ll remove the preview tag shortly.

The one caveat here is the support for multi-container which the feature will remain in preview there.

Thanks,
    Oded

15. key vault references

Are you able to provide any updates on when key vault references will be out of preview status please?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. High availability App Service

An Issue has occurred with the App Service due to the platform update.

Could you provide public documents on how to create high availability App Service that are not affected by platform updating?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Being a managed platform (PaaS), all the work to update the platform happens behind the scenes and should not impact your production workload. However, given that when we update the instances your application is hosted in, we move your code to new instances, there could be a brief period of slowness to reach your app. This is best solved by scaling to additional instances in the same App Service Plan, as we don’t update all instances within a plan a the same time, so your app’s traffic will be balanced between the available instances.

For additional reading, see here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-patch-os-runtime

We are always available to answer additional questions on the MSDN forum:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/azure/en-us/home?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

Thanks,
    Oded

17. 503 Service Unavailable

Our website has been hosted on Azure for a few years. Tonight it is throwing 503 Service unavailable errors. I cannot even load a url to a .jpg file. I have restarted the app and still nothing loads from the website. I cannot buy Azure support because I have bought and cancelled Azure support in the past. We are a 3 person business and depend on our small website and it is down and I don't know what to do. None of the trace logs make any sense to me.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Automatic change of http:// to https:// for azurewebsites.net

I recently had a problem with an ASP.NET Core application that uses Azure AD and deployed to Azure web apps. When entering the URL with http:// I was getting errors. I did not realize that this was the problem and kept on looking at a myriad of things. I suggest that there be a switch to https:// whenever an endpoint on azurewebsites.net is requested.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Node.js on Linux quickstart cannot create a webapp

When attempting to create a new webapp with my free tier azure account, the Node.js for Linux quickstart command failed:

xxxx@Azure:~/quickstart/nodejs-docs-hello-world$ az webapp up -n nameOfMyWebApp
    Creating Resource group 'appsvcrgLinuxcentralus' ...
    Resource group creation complete
    Creating App service plan 'appsvc
    aspLinuxcentralus' ...
    Requested features are not supported in region.

source:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/quickstart-nodejs

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "Try Azure Now" experience is ****

The Try Azure experience looks promising, but a cursory peek under the covers leads to a bad experience.

I'm on the Logic Apps home page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/services/logic-apps/ and there's a big Try Logic Apps now button.
    1. Clicking that prompts me to create a Web App, or API App, these aren't Logic Apps, are they? Confusing.

Then I go ahead and create an API App, and I receive a helpful email from azure-noreply (why no reply, don't you want our feedback?), suggesting I sign in and use the App Service Editor to make a change in the forward-facing code (wtf is…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the feedback. We created the Try experiences to allow customers to try out the products without having to submit credit card details in the sign up process.

There is currently no Try option for Logic Apps, we removed that option a while ago. You’re totally correct about the feedback for the API Apps email, I have submitted a request that we won’t send that email as its content only aligns to Web Apps.

Thanks,
    Oded

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base