Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change Analysis feature for the Slots of the App Service

It looks like we can do Change Analysis only at main app level, but It would be good to have an option to enable it for the slots as well.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add option for exporting third party SSL/TLS certificates from App Services

Presently this feature/option is not available, and we have to request our customers to provide the third party certificates for deploying to new servers.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. EasyAuth and SameSite cookies

The "SameSite" cookie attribute isn't being set when using Azure App Service with EasyAuth. Being able to configure this value within the Azure portal - and for other cookies as well - would be beneficial.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-authentication-authorization

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Return 503 when App Service is stopped

I try to understand whey when App Service is stopped the HTTP status 403 is returned and not 503. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to return 503? Many clients to APIs properly handle 503 as transient error, and it would be helpful to let them wait if we return 503 in this use case if we had to stop App Service for whatever reason.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Web App Access Restriction add access from another app service

would be be nice if there was an option to select app services from the Type list when adding a new rule that would allow or deny service A to call service B.

This would allow the ability to lock down some API's that shouldn't be accessed from the outside world unless allowed to do so explicitly by IP but giving access to it from other app services, it also gives control to allow access to certain app services in your subscription and not others.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Improve App Service Plan auto-scaling rules

As we know, auto-scale can quite easily enter an oscillation known as "flapping". This is due to the linear nature of basic autoscale rules. The use of a cooldown period helps reduce the impact of this behaviour, but I would think that we could implement better control algorithms.

I'm not quite sure what the best approach would be, but a few thoughts come to mind:
    In mechanical control applications, we see PID loops. Perhaps something similar could be implemented on the aggregate load data?
    Scaling thresholds based on the current instance count might work?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Restrict Key Vault certificate import to a specific App Service Plan

App Service certificate import supports importing certificates from Key Vault. This operation requires an access policy on the Key Vault for Microsoft Azure Website (app id abfa0a7c-a6b6-4736-8310-5855508787cd). This access policy is directory wide which means any App Service can import certificates from this Key Vault, even from other subscriptions within the same directory.

It would be more secure if we could limit this access policy to a particular App Service Plan. I should not be able to import production web app certificates from my personal MPN subscription.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Post Deployment Script in Azure Web App for Containers

Is it possible to run a post-deploy script inside a container in Azure Web App for Containers(not the "regular" Web App with Kudu).

I have an ARM template that creates some resources, including a Web App for Containers where I use a Dockerhub image. I want to run a post-deployment script inside the container(a database migration script if that matters("bundle exec rake db:migrate" specifically)).

I can put the command into the Startup File in the Container Settings in the Azure Portal. That runs the command successfully, but it doesn't start up the container normally. So, I have to remove the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. TLS 1.3 is now approved, this should be implemented with Web Apps

TLS 1.3 is now no longer a draft, when will Azure introduce the option to enable it?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8446

290 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Upgrade CPUs in Azure App Service Premium Tier

Currently the "Premium" tier on App Service offers this three options:

P1: 1VCore DSV2
    P2: 2VCores DSv2
    P3: 4VCores DSv2

I wouldn't call this a premium tier now that we are getting into 2020...

App service is one of the most useful services offered in Azure and it really needs an upgrade.

Amazon's Beanstalk does not have such limitations.

I would suggest that to upgrade the hardware/resources of the Premium tier to "at least":

P1: 2 VCores
    P2: 4 VCores
    P3: 8 VCores

The processors model should be upgraded to use Dv3 or even better the F-series.

This would be…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enable 'Resource Health' Feature for Isolated App Service Plans

Enable 'Resource Health" feature for Isolated App Service Plans.

Currently, it shows error message "incorrect health status - not supported"

"
    Resource health status is not available for Free, Shared or Isolated App Service plan. To enable health status, consider upgrading to a Basic, Standard, or Premium App Service plan.
    Report incorrect health status "

Instead, users of the most expensive plan, Isolated, in an ASE, are encouraged to change their plan?

Please add the feature or adjust the message. Thank you.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Enable Azure Resource Move for App Service Environment

Simply allow Azure Resource Move in between RGs and Subscriptions for App Service Environments

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Upgrade npm to 6.13.4+because of a critical vulnerability

The NPM team warned everybody about a critical Binary planting vulnerability in NPM versions prior to 6.13.3. Right now we cannot use this version on Azure App Service. Please install npm v6.13.4 ASAP!

More information: https://blog.npmjs.org/post/189618601100/binary-planting-with-the-npm-cli

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Can webjobs provide an API to monitor the status or send a notification when the job hangs up

When our webjobs are running recently, we don't know why they are hung up. The status changes from running to pending restart. But I didn't get any hang up notification. I want to create a service to monitor it, and there is no corresponding API. Can webjobs provide an API to monitor the status or send a notification when the job hangs up?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Web App Open Ports 4024 and 4022

Currently, our web apps have the remote debugging option off however based on security scans we still see TCP port 4022 and 4024 still open.
    In discussion with Microsoft Support there is no resolution at this time to remove the TCP port 4022 and 4024 being open to the Web Apps because it is a multi-tenant site they do not have the options to do so. However, I did look at the firewall configuration and unfortunately it only allows IP based rules and not port specific rules.

Here is the link that the the support engineer provided which was the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow setup of app-service SSL cert before go-live

As it stands, it is impossible to set up the SSL cert for a custom domain before the site is live. We are looking to move an existing site to Azure. We need the HTTPS URL to work the moment it goes live; however, we are halted in setting it up by this message:

Create App Service Managed Certificates (Preview)
    Hostname not eligible for App Service Managed Certificates creation. Ensure that your domain www.our-website.com has an active CNAME record which is set to ourSite-live.azurewebsites.net.

If we create that CNAME, we would be making the new site live, but it is…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Germany West Central

Hello,

when should Germany West Central be fully available?
    I can make a Resource Group but cannot add App Service (Plan) or other Resource Group

Thanx in advance!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. App services tend to get stuck when restarting

We have noticed that sometimes App services and Cloud services (classic) tend to be in a ‘stuck’ state when you restart them. They will be shown as running in the Azure portal even though they aren’t actually working. Then we will need to ‘stop and start’ to get it running again

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Misspelling On Startup HTML

On the startup page that Azure gives you when you select and browse to your Python app, at the bottom, it says "Expecting to see you app" -> I assume that should be "your" app rather than "you" app.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base