Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disaster Recovery for Azure WebApp

Currently, we have to deploy the Azure WebApp twice, one in West Europe and other in North Europe to support Disaster Recovery.
    It means that we need to update the both WebApps if we want to deploy new artifacts in WebApp.
    It is very difficult to sync artifacts in both WebApps.
    It would be great if Azure provides the RA-GRS(Read-access geo-redundant storage) feature for WebApp like Azure SQL Database.
    With this feature the synching of artifacts between both WebApps done by RA-GRS feature.
    So we will not deploy the new artifacts in both web app, when we deploy the artifacts…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix export of resource type 'Microsoft.Web/sites/config'

get error :"Could not get resources of the type 'Microsoft.Web/sites/config'. Resources of this type will not be exported. (Code: ExportTemplateProviderError)"

Among the obvious it would be nice to see how to set various app settings like turning off PHP and activating 'Always On' or maybe turning off 'ARR Affinity'.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a Remove-AzureRmWebAppCertificate cmdlet

There is no PowerShell cmdlet for Remove-AzureRmWebAppCertificate. This would be really useful to enable cleanup of old certificates that are no longer used.

(Note: I'm aware that using Remove-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding will clean up a certificate if it's not referenced anymore. However, in production applications we don't want to use that cmdlet when updating an SSL certificate - we instead use New-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding to overwrite the existing binding to the new certificate. The New-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding cmdlet doesn't clean up the unused old certificate.)

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide .NET language packs on Web Apps

I'm working on a website that uses System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations

On my local machine, model validation messages are displayed in french but they are in english when I deploy the website to Azure.

Please install .NET language packs on Azure Web Apps so we don't have to create .resx files and messy code to override .NET built-in messages...

345 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide access to HTTPERR logs

Currently, enabling "Web Server Logging" appears to archive only the W3C request logs. The HTTPERR logs are the only way to see any requests that failed or were rejected by the server due to TCP timeouts, idle connections, filled request queues, and similar circumstances.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/820729

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow AAD multi-tenant Apps using App Service Authentication and Authorization

Allow Azure Active Directory (AAD) multi-tenant Apps using App Service Authentication and Authorization.

After on-boarding a tenant with a multi tenant AAD App (Client), the tenant is not able to login to protected Web/Api Apps on App Services.

The ClientId used is the same in AAD Multitenant App.
    The STS url is/can only be configured for the App/Client primary tenant GUID.

There are no options to enable-multi tenant STS on App Service Authentication and authorization interface.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support Double Wildcard Custom Domains

For multi-tenant applications, we require the ability for Azure to support double wildcard custom domains.

Single wildcard custom domains are currently well supported, i.e.

*.mydomain.com

catches all unmapped, single subdomain urls e.g. level1ex.mydomain.com, level2ex.mydomain.com etc

The issue (which isn't documented: see forum post below) is that secondary level wildcards are not supported at all by Azure:

e.g. www.level2.mydomain.com will result in a 404 error.

Why is this important? in a multi tenant environment, with lots of customers on different subdomains, it is best from an end-user perspective to support a www. subdomain prefix, as that's what 99% of non-technerati do…

586 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. 54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Permission for accessing Performance counters

We would like create a custom monitoring solution for our Azure Web Site based projects. Unfortunately the web site and job processes do not have permission to read performance counters.

I understand that this is mandatory for a shared hosting environment. However I see nothing against having such functionality if the user has dedicated instances.

Would it be possible to remove this restriction?

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. app service authentication - support convergence login for MicrosoftAccount defined at apps.dev.microsoft.com

Allow app service to support authentication from microsoft accounts apps configured with convergence...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable Docker Content Trust on Linux ASE

Now that Notary/Content Trust in available in ACR, it would be useful if it could also be enabled in the ASE so it could only pull signed images.

I can't see a way to currently do this - is it possible?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow adding same custom domains using ARM Template

As described here it's now possible to add same custom domain on a WebApp using Azure Portal - link: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/14128761-allow-adding-same-custom-domains-from-my-other-sub

I've seen few apps now that when load balanced, require load balancer hostname added under custom domain in WebApp to work properly.

Same should be possible via ARM. Currently when deploying WebApp resource there is a conflict if two resources share same domain:

2018-10-25T11:27:12.7007756Z ##[error]At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.
    2018-10-25T11:27:12.7025974Z ##[error]Details:
    2018-10-25T11:27:12.7026745Z ##[error]Conflict: {
    "Code": "Conflict",
    "Message": "The host name myhostname.domain.com is already assigned to another…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add meaningful name for Principals in different slots

I have enabled MSI for web apps in different deployment slots. When trying to add a Principal under
    Home > Key vaults > XYZ - Access policies > Add access policy > Principal, it currently lists all principals that matches the search string with same name even if they belong to different deployment slots.

For example, if I have enabled MSI in web app XYZ and its Staging deployment slot, it should show as:
    XYZ
    XYZ/slots/Staging.
    Instead this is currently appearing as:
    XYZ
    XYZ

So it is difficult for the users to select the right one they need and it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. php/laravel, Django and NodeJS Deployment

I would like to see support for PHP/Laravel, DJango and seamless and possible just like i can do in heroku cli or how we do in asp.net core. It will be great if I don't need to worry about composer or pip or virtual environment. I push my app using git or from my repository, Azure App Service should auto detect my language and all the packages and install them on the fly, including root directories and environment variables. Also, web.config should be scrapped out entirely or auto-configured. {Heroku detects my php / Laravel and do all the configurations for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Have you tried looking into App Service hosted on Linux:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/app-service-linux-intro

While the deployment won’t pull all your dependencies, you can still used a blessed image for your stack and even containerize your solution and host them on Linux.

One more item to look at is the new CLI “up” command we have for creating apps. You can check the quick session we had at Microsoft Ignite about this feature:
    https://myignite.techcommunity.microsoft.com/sessions/66652

We’ll leave this under review to see if there are any improvements to our deployment that will happen as part of Linux hosting.

Thanks,
    Oded

15. Support Azure AD V2.0 Authentication for Function Apps

I have a client application that would like to access a secured function app. The client application is getting a JWT bearer token from the Azure AD 2.0 endpoint.

In the authentication section of the App Service there is no way to add applications registered with the AD v2.0 endpoint.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Users with Reader Access to View App Service Plan Scale Out Run History

Allow Users with Reader Access to View App Service Plan Scale Out History. This view is possible with Contributor access. However, in Prod environments, we cannot grant Contributor access to users and users frequently request this visibility to the Scale Out Run History.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Improve the SSL Settings interface

(1)Add alerts or warnings when a certificate is about to expire.
    (2)Change the font color on certificates that are soon to expire.
    (3)Combine the list for certificate and binding into a 2 column list so it is easier to see that you have the correct certificate bound. It is time consuming to continuously scroll up and down to match thumbprints.

SSL/TLS certificates are becoming a required element on the web today. I think it is time to improve this interface.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make use of Reserved Instances

It's possible to prepay VM's, this will result in a lower cost, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/prepay-reserved-vm-instances

It would be great to use these machines in WebApps. Or add these type of payment to the Web Apps.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Audit file system on WebApps and log to Blob

Audit file system to detect malicious file changing.

Recently we experience intrusion into a Wordpress site on WebApp.
    There was a malicious "favicon.ico" icon file.
    We are investigating a feature to detect these type of malicious manipulation.

Currently exploring all files at every job is needed to detect, but it is not efficient because we update this site NOT frequently.

If WebApps have auditing file system and log to Blob,
    we can create custom alert rules with Azure Functions easily.

This is also an alternative way for implementing antimalware feature: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/17919064-antimalware-feature-on-web-apps-app-service

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. [Linux] Web App for Containers set latest pushed tag as the container image

When a new tag is pushed to container repository the web app should be able to pick up the latest pushed tag and set it as the running image. This can be given as a switch setting (checkbox).Currently you are pointing the image at a specific tag.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base