Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix web app and web app plan move

The number of prerequisites and limitations in moving web app, app service plans and resource groups are staggering. I didn't want to delete and start again because these are production services with a large number of manual configurations (e.g. forced to use LetsEncrypt web job because you don't have it natively, but that's a separate issue!). Now I'm having to delete these and start again, standing up the new sites side-by-side and cutting over using DNS - what is the point of having these functionalities built in if they're not usable?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Azure Active Directory Authentication to work in an Azure Web App when using the app_offline.htm file.

When using Azure Active Directory Authentication with an Azure Web App the authentication no longer is implemented when using the appoffline.htm file. Please allow Azure Active Directory Authentication to work in an Azure Web App when using the appoffline.htm file.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. <Request>App service plan Increase storage size and add

To increase the size of the App service plans storage and add it, you need to scale up the App App plan, but you need a function to add more storage by adding more storage than the scale up.

<In Japanese>
    Appサービスプランストレージのサイズを増やして追加するには、App Appプランをスケールアップする必要がありますが、スケールアップよりもストレージを追加してストレージを追加する機能を実装要望します。

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Webapps to write logs to 'Azure Files' storage

Im looking for a way to tail my webapp logs into a 3rd party tool (Logstash).

If it were possible to write Webapp logs directly to Azure File storage, I could then mount the shared file system and process the logs directly.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn167006.aspx

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Permission for accessing Performance counters

We would like create a custom monitoring solution for our Azure Web Site based projects. Unfortunately the web site and job processes do not have permission to read performance counters.

I understand that this is mandatory for a shared hosting environment. However I see nothing against having such functionality if the user has dedicated instances.

Would it be possible to remove this restriction?

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow azure websites to reverse proxy to hybrid connections

I am trying to connect an azure website using reverse proxy to an internal site over a BizTalk hybrid connection. I have setup the reverse proxy web.config file to point the azure website to my internal site over the hybrid connection. Example www.mysite.com points to http://server1:8080 Seeing this error when I attempt this:

The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process.

Is this supported? What address should I point my reverse proxy too?

Sample config:

configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <rewrite>
    <rules>
    <rule name="ReverseProxyInboundRule1" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)"/>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="http://SERVER1:8080/{R:1}"/>
    </rule>
    </rules>
    </rewrite>
    <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false"/>
    </system.webServer> …

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Option to block TOR traffic from Azure WebSites

Looking through my web logs, most traffice coming from TOR is unfortunately only used for trying to hack my site.
    Blocking TOR traffic is not trivial, since you must compare the IP to the long list of TOR exit servers.
    For websites that are really not used by e.g. dissidents it would be great to have a simple option to block it on Azure WebSites.

Something like "Allow TOR traffice" On/Off

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add Azure tags option for Application service Environment

Today Application service Environment cannot be tagged. It causes issues with Charge Back with Billing and cost management

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. app service authentication - support convergence login for MicrosoftAccount defined at apps.dev.microsoft.com

Allow app service to support authentication from microsoft accounts apps configured with convergence...

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Let Web Apps to be PCI compliance

Despite that PCI compliance is promoted at Azure, a Web App created at Azure is non compliant by default, and cannot be set-up appropriately.

I understand that a Web App is not as isolated as an ASE (that still is not compliance by default, needs advanced set-up), with instances sharing system level settings with other clients (so cannot be changed independently), and I understand some set-up changes that apply to all clients, even ones that do not require PCI, can lead to problems to some of them.

I propose an option to opt-in to PCI compliance at Web App level;…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow App Service Environments to be added to existing Subnet

App Service Environments should be able to be added to existing VNET Subnets. Having to rework subnets in VNET is kind of a pain to add a new one or delete and re-add a subnet to accommodate the ASE.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are going to add this back into the portal. You can do this now using templates but that isn’t as easy as just using the portal if you are making changes. There were a few issues that forced us to remove that capability from the portal but the issues are circumvented now.

Christina

13. New tier between shared and basic

I think there should be a tier between shared and basic. The estimated 5x price increase from moving to basic seems pretty high for sites that have outgrown shared. Especially for sites with limited revenue like tech blogs.

I am thinking the new tier could be available to small businesses or individuals.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Let me arrange web app settings by alphabetical order!

Currently the web app settings have no option for order control in either the old or new portals. Allowing administrators to arrange these alphabetically or at least have a default alphabetical order would be very helpful.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable Docker Content Trust on Linux ASE

Now that Notary/Content Trust in available in ACR, it would be useful if it could also be enabled in the ASE so it could only pull signed images.

I can't see a way to currently do this - is it possible?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Deploy a war or java web application into Azure with Artifactory or Nexus Sonatype

When you use Azure with a java web application you need to upload the packaged file (war) to the server using FTP or via GIT. Having a git repository of binary files isn't a good idea, usually you upload these binary files into an artifactory such as Nexus Sonatype or Jfrog.

It would be really great if we can fetch the files from such an artifactory (Nexus or JFrog). Or even fetching the file from a Azure Raw storage where our Continuous Integration servers can write to.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Adding variable support on tag field when deploying docker container on WebApp container

I'm using docker for all the Ci pipeline, that works great.
    But for the deployment pipeline, I would like to deploy the generated docker tag name based on the BuildNumber but actually it's not supported.

When I set tag $(Release.Artifacts.App.Build.BuildId), the logs

I can see in the logs:

2018-11-12T16:21:37.3420228Z Updating App Service Application settings. Data: {"DOCKERCUSTOMIMAGE_NAME":"myregistry.azurecr.io/app:$(Release.Artifacts.Api.Build.BuildId)"}

The variable is not resolved...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pop-up regarding TLS 1.0/1.1

Now we cannot use TLS 1.0/1.1 without SNI parameters on App Service. People tend to choose TLS 1.0/1.1 without knowing this fact. It would be really helpful if Azure portal provides pop-up windows explaining that we need SNI parameter with TLS 1.0/1.1 when choosing TLS 1.0/1.1 on App Service setting page or showing that TLS 1.0/1.1 without SNI parameter is disabled.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow adding same custom domains using ARM Template

As described here it's now possible to add same custom domain on a WebApp using Azure Portal - link: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/169385-web-apps/suggestions/14128761-allow-adding-same-custom-domains-from-my-other-sub

I've seen few apps now that when load balanced, require load balancer hostname added under custom domain in WebApp to work properly.

Same should be possible via ARM. Currently when deploying WebApp resource there is a conflict if two resources share same domain:

2018-10-25T11:27:12.7007756Z ##[error]At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.
    2018-10-25T11:27:12.7025974Z ##[error]Details:
    2018-10-25T11:27:12.7026745Z ##[error]Conflict: {
    "Code": "Conflict",
    "Message": "The host name myhostname.domain.com is already assigned to another…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add meaningful name for Principals in different slots

I have enabled MSI for web apps in different deployment slots. When trying to add a Principal under
    Home > Key vaults > XYZ - Access policies > Add access policy > Principal, it currently lists all principals that matches the search string with same name even if they belong to different deployment slots.

For example, if I have enabled MSI in web app XYZ and its Staging deployment slot, it should show as:
    XYZ
    XYZ/slots/Staging.
    Instead this is currently appearing as:
    XYZ
    XYZ

So it is difficult for the users to select the right one they need and it…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base