Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provide a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js or Python. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, and BitBucket to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

How can we improve Azure Web Apps?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add an SSL Certificate domain redirect checkbox

purchasing an SSL Certificate for a web app in Azure is convenient and straight forward.

I followed the instructions in this link:

Buy and Configure an SSL Certificate for your Azure App Service

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-purchase-ssl-web-site

unfortunately, there is a missing step at the end of the procedure. there is no mention on how to configure a web.config rule so that a user is automatically redirected to the secure (https) version of the web site.

please create a checkbox to easily enable this capability.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the feedback. We have opened an item with our documentation team to update this doc you linked to. There are some improvements we can definitely do in this space to make things clearer. More to come!

Thanks,
      Oded

• Stop TiP causing security warnings

Currently Testing in Production (TiP) can be used for two purposes: A/B testing or deploying multiple versions of the same website (eg. production and staging).

Some companies like us use TiP only for the second purpose, but as soon as we enable the feature, an additional cookie called "TiPMix" added to our website. The purpose of the cookie is enable A/B testing and help to decide which user should be randomly routed to which slot. We always route 100% of our traffic to the production slot, so no decision have to be made in our case thus we don't need…

75 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

Thank you for the feedback up the issue! We intend to make some corrections to how we display the security warnings. This shouldn’t happen too far from now though I don’t have a concrete timeline to share yet. When more info is available, I’ll update the post.

Thanks!
        Oded

• Near-realtime consolidated web app consumption

We need a consolidated way to see near-realtime CPU and Memory consumption for each Web App per App Service Plan. This way we can quickly identify which apps are consuming the most resources (specifically CPU and Memory) in that App Service Plan.

These are the 2 scenarios we run into often:

1. We run many web apps in each App Service Plan. We don't want to pay for a new App Service Plan until all memory (or CPU) is consumed on what we currently have. I could rebalance the sites (move some to another plan) if I could easily see…

24 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable 'client certificate authentication' per directory

I have a site that only part of it needs to be secured with client certificate authentication, it is able to be enabled on the site level but not the directory level as per this article.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/app-service-web-configure-tls-mutual-auth

37 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
            thanks for the feedback. This is not currently possible as client cert auth on App Service is in require mode and as such cannot be delegated to folder level.

We will review this item and your feedback, we may look to implement this capability based on customer prioritization.

Thanks

Andrew

• App Service SQL Server PDO Driver

Please update SQL Server PHP PDO Driver to the 4.1.1 version by Azure App Services. Current version of PDO Driver is very outdated and still has a lot of bugs, that has been fixed 1 year ago.

16 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • FTP accounts tied to subscription, not user. Not enough auditing

In the current model, FTP credentials are tied to a user's azure login. Thus, we have no visibility into credentials that are set, as we cannot see other people's FTP credentials they've set. Furthermore, when an FTP account is created or deleted, nothing is logged. This makes it difficult to audit who has access. With the logins being tied to the user, when the user leaves, there is no way for us to reclaim that username unless they delete their ftp credentials first. This doesn't always work, as a user may depart abruptly or not on good terms. Although the…

28 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Azure websites should permit to set a regional time setting independent of the Region deployed.

Right now when an Azure website is created it sets the time to the region specified on the deployment.
                It would be useful to be able con configure the ntp server for a website for the country our company is set, independent of the azure datacenter where the website was deployed.

69 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Associating Hybrid Connections to Azure App Services cannot be automated

There is no way to associate a Hybrid Connection to an Azure App Service via ARM Template or PowerShell.

This is a significant gap since we cannot automate this at all when that is the driving factor for DevOps and PaaS services.

15 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    2 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Provide more secure TLS ciphers

Currently Chrome flags the CBC ciphers as obsolete. CBC ciphers are at the top of the cipher preference list of Azure Web Apps as you can see there: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=test.azurewebsites.net
                    More info: https://www.chromium.org/Home/chromium-security/education/tls#TOC-Cipher-Suites

So please provide some more secure ciphers from the ECDHE cipher suite like TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256, TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256.

24 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add static IP address for outbound traffic without the use of App Service Environment

There are many reasons you may want to have a static IP address for outbound connections. For example, you may be accessing a system which requires you to whitelist IP address in a firewall, such as SQL Database or an external service.

Currently, the only way to get a static IP address for outbound connections is to use App Service Environment. App Service Environments are quite complex, and has a very high price tag. You need at least 4 instances, 2 of which must be P2, meaning you'll pay at least 1000 EUR/month. Paying 1000 EUR/month just because you want…

218 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion. The App Service is a multi tenant service which makes features like this more challenging. Because the App Service Environment is single tenant and runs in your VNet it makes having a static IP for outbound requests from your app possible.

Christina

• Metric and alert for Web App file system used quota

We would like to setup an automatic alert that fires when the file storage of an app plan is reaching its limits.

Ideally it will be great to have a metric that tells the % of storage (quota) consumed so we can set an alert on top of that metric.

6 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Notifications  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a great idea and we would like to implement it though there are a few dependencies we need to meet first. We are leaving this on the roadmap for now to see if it gains more customer support which will help with prioritization.

Thanks,
                          Oded

• rest api full sample app

You need to provide full sample app in rest api php good for php developers

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Antimalware feature on Web Apps (App Service)

Cloud Services and Virtual Machines have an antimalware feature to protect themselves from viruses.
                            However, Web Apps only protects their platform, and there is no customer-facing antimalware service now.
                            If we develop an application which receives files from anonymous users with an upload form, we can't detect and get rid of the viruses.
                            We strongly request the antimalware feature like that Cloud Services and Virtual Machines do.

53 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • [Linux] Allow to access certicate store within linux app services

It is currently not possible to use certificates in Linux App Services as described in this blog post:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/using-certificates-in-azure-websites-applications/

Please add access to the azure certificate store within a linux container.

34 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • force http to https in azure web app linux

if an ssl certificate is installed in a domain, why azure web app linux doesn't automatically redirect http to https?

5 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for you suggestion, this is actually an Azure App Service wide feature that are planning to introduce a similar functionality. Once we have such capability we will announce it and update the suggestion.

Ahmed
                                  App Service Team

• Make a JDK available with the JCE Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files applied

Currently, none of the JDK's have the JCE Unlimited Strength policy files applied.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce8-download-2133166.html

Please can these either be applied by default or can there be an option to have them applied?

39 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • [Azure web app LINUX] VSTS deploy to slot

Currently I am using VSTS for my CI/CD to azure web app linux
                                    However, unfortunately, there's still a pretty significant downtime for every deployment.

I tried to create a staging slot to minimize the downtime, and swap to production. however, VSTS doesn't allow me to deploy to my staging slot.

I created a github issues too here https://github.com/Microsoft/vsts-tasks/issues/4460

If I can't deploy to my slot, what's the point of having slot in the first place? Please prioritize this as I think this is a pretty important feature

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web API hosted in azure app service

Hi,

Need client certificate based or AAD token based authentication enabled web api hosted in azure app service.

I am migrating one web API from classic cloud service to azure app service.
                                      The API supports calls with valid certificates or valid AAD token.
                                      Code is given below:

protected override async Task<HttpResponseMessage> SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
                                      {
                                      ClaimsPrincipal principal;
                                      var cert = request.GetClientCertificate();
                                      if (cert != null)
                                      {
                                      //authenticate client certificate
                                      //Set principal from client certificate
                                      }
                                      else
                                      {
                                      //get AAD token
                                      //authenticate & set principal
                                      }
                                      return await base.SendAsync(request, cancellationToken);
                                      }

The issue is in App service for certificate based…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • can switch region in anytime

can switch app services plan to anytime

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Provide option to make Diagnostic Logging settings sticky to a slot

We make generous use of sticky slot settings. They enable us to swap code without swapping configuration.

Unfortunately for our design, diagnostic logging settings cannot be marked as sticky. Before a swap, our production slot might be logging to a production storage account, and our staging slot might be logging to a staging storage account. After the swap, production is logging to stage, and stage is logging to production. This results in muddy log files where one cannot be certain which slot was responsible for which log entries.

Please provide an option to make diagnostic logging settings sticky to a…

11 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Web Apps

Feedback and Knowledge Base