Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Read Only Locks - Too restrictive to view Application Logs

Read only locks are too restrictive across App Services.

We want to be able to still view Application Service logs via Kudu (without any of the editing functionality) especially when there is an issue with the app service. This requires no editing of the functionality and is not a management operation.

Is this something that can be considered looking into?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable Docker Content Trust on Linux ASE

Now that Notary/Content Trust in available in ACR, it would be useful if it could also be enabled in the ASE so it could only pull signed images.

I can't see a way to currently do this - is it possible?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Generate internally-issued certificates

There should be a way to generate internally-issued certificates for ASE so ASE's have no legacy-dependency. Currently one has to have CA running in a VM to generate that for the domain.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Custom domain and path for web app easy authentication (AD), when going through application gateway

As of now if you have a domain pointing to application gateway which points to different services where one of those uses the easy auth, that service uses its own default azure domain instead of the domain pointing at application gateway with the path assigned to it (e.g /webportal)

which makes easy auth not useful when there is an application gateway in front of it

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Autoscale settings for service plan tier (scale up) in addition to (scale out)

I'd like to be able to configure auto-scale on the pricing tiers in addition to scaling out. For example, during the overnight ours, I don't need a app service plan of p2v2, but during the day, I do normally need 2 sometimes 3 p2v2 instances. I'd like to be able to say during the hours of X - Y, make the app service plan p1v2, and A - B be p2v2. I don't know that a more complex situation like CPU usage is necessary, but maybe others would want it, but in general it would be nice to automate that…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Enable 'Resource Health' Feature for Isolated App Service Plans

Enable 'Resource Health" feature for Isolated App Service Plans.

Currently, it shows error message "incorrect health status - not supported"

"
    Resource health status is not available for Free, Shared or Isolated App Service plan. To enable health status, consider upgrading to a Basic, Standard, or Premium App Service plan.
    Report incorrect health status "

Instead, users of the most expensive plan, Isolated, in an ASE, are encouraged to change their plan?

Please add the feature or adjust the message. Thank you.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Docker on Azure Web Service -> invalid reference format

Deploying a simple docker image that works locally doesn't work on Azure. It is passbolt/passbolt from Dockerhub. I'm getting:

```
    2018-11-23 16:42:38.833 INFO - docker run -d -p 30754:80 --name passbolt-cfall_0 -e WEBSITES_ENABLE_APP_SERVICE_STORAGE=false -e WEBSITE_SITE_NAME=passbolt-cfall -e WEBSITE_AUTH_ENABLED=False -e PORT=80 -e WEBSITE_ROLE_INSTANCE_ID=0 -e WEBSITE_INSTANCE_ID=5506ae4ca515ad8e03e1a017e330421d47cde35f166eca2dad0bdfa6771efc2e passbolt/passbolt:latest
    2018-11-23 16:42:38.833 INFO - Logging is not enabled for this container.Please use https://aka.ms/linux-diagnostics to enable logging to see container logs here.
    2018-11-23 16:42:38.854 ERROR - Container create failed for passbolt-cfall_0 with System.AggregateException, One or more errors occurred.InnerException: Docker.DotNet.DockerApiException, Docker API responded with status code=BadRequest, response={"message":"invalid reference format"}
    ```

It seems other had similar problem: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52641590/deploy-a-docker-container-to-azure-app-service-linux

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Azure WebApps NodeJS - A frustrating day of black boxes

Today I have been trying to use Azure to deploy a NodeJS application to an Azure WebApp with frustrations.

I am no NodeJS hipster and have just started/stumbled into NodeJS development but feel that today has been a hard day for me to achieve something.

I have written a NodeJS GitHub app using GitHub's Probot tool which also helps scaffold the necessary parts - https://probot.github.io/docs/

Brilliant I have hacked my way to something that works locally & now I would like to deploy it. Working at a Microsoft house where we use Azure, I thought it would be best to…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow users to run 'sync' operation themselves for troubleshooting

We had an issue where we attempted to clone an app service, and the operation only partially completed. We were left with an app service plan that said we couldn't delete it because it contained an app service, but we were unable to see or interact with the app service in the UI (or via api's).

We had to contact support, and they said, and I quote... "We performed a sync on your subscription and wanted to see if you are able to delete the site now."

If this 'sync operation' is able to resolve these issues, then make it…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Web App with File Share

Allow a file share to be mounted on Web Apps.

JUST ALLOW IT ALREADY

You have an implementation. You "say" it is "slow" ... but it is much much much much better than "NO"

I use tools like CloudberryDrive and TNTDrive to mount file shares on Windows. And you already have an implementation from 2 years ago (Jan 2017) but it was shelved because it was "too slow".

What if we only need one or two files at a time ... then speed is NOT an issue .. but AVAILABILITY IS HUGE

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Notification hook for manual scaling on an ASE

Scaling within an ASE is unreliable and often takes hours (although support maintains that it should only take 30-45min). We need a way of being notified on the status of the scaling operations. For example, an email notification, web hook, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The hours of scaling you’re describing, is that on ASE v1 or v2? v2 should have much faster scaling operations. If you encounter an issue on v2, please open a support ticket.

For the option of receiving notification for completed deployment, we will respond later after reviewing.

Thanks,
    Oded

13. Adding the ability to alert off of total TCP connections. This can help to know before hand if there will be any crash before reaching thre

Adding the ability to alert off of total TCP connections. This can help to know before hand if there will be any app crash before reaching threshold.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Reference Architecture for multiple isolated apps

I would like a published reference architecture that describes the best practices for publishing multiple web applications in Isolated App Service Plan(s).

We want to host multiple web applications with different networking needs:
    - Internal LoB applications.
    - Internet facing applications.
    - There are different application SQL Databases.
    - Some applications should not be able to access use resources within the vNET belonging to other applications.

The single subnet per ASE relationship seems to force our hand to dictate multiple vNETs with multiple (costly) isolated plans. Am I missing something?

In the reference architecture, I would like guidance on when…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. WEBSITE_LOAD_CERTIFICATES

Azure Upload certificate by rest API problem

I have upload certificate by rest API: PUT https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/certificates/{name}?api-version=2016-03-01

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/appservice/certificates/createorupdate

and then I see certificate in SSL settings - Private Certificate. If I call GET https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Web/certificates?api-version=2016-03-01

If try to get in .net:

private string GetStoreCertificate(string thumbprint)
    {
    string name = "";
    try
    {
    List<StoreLocation> locations = new List<StoreLocation>
    {
    StoreLocation.CurrentUser,
    StoreLocation.LocalMachine
    };

foreach (var location in locations)
    {
    X509Store store = new X509Store("My", location);
    try
    {
    store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadOnly | OpenFlags.OpenExistingOnly);
    X509Certificate2Collection certificates = store.Certificates.Find(
    X509FindType.FindByThumbprint, thumbprint, false);
    if (certificates.Count == 1)
    {
    name = certificates[0].FriendlyName;
    }
    }
    finally
    {
    store.Close();
    }
    }

if (name…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Implement a REST API for accessing metrics for the Application Service Plan and Application Service

The REST API for the Application Insights works great, however the Application Service Plan and the Application Service only support the ODATA query languange, and it is also very limited in the parameters (filter options) that are supported.
    For example, it is currently not possible to extract an average value for the latest 5 minutes for a specific metric, which is something that easily can be done in the Application Insights REST API.

I would like to see the same REST API implementation for the Application Service Plan and the Application Service.

Let me know if clarification is needed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Linux App Service Plan health status is provisioning and instance count is 0 which is under App Service Environment

I have created an App Service Environment and created an App Service Plan of Linux OS type.

The health status of Linux App Service Plan is in "Provisioning" state.

And I have found that the health state is supported only for Basic, Standard and Premium but not for Dev, Shared and Isolated.

Here the number of Instances in this App Service Plan is showing as 0 under properties.

But for windows App Service Plan the instance count is showing as expected.

Can you please help me if I am missing anything else in order to display valid Instance count under…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Newly Isolated pricing tire has been introduced, my It opps folks created my App service under it. Facing issues with Maven plugin

Maven plugin not supported for Isolated pricing tire for azure delploy. Please do the needful

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. App Service Environment's IP is being blacklist from Spam Rats

The IP address of App Service should not be blacklisted to any platform like Spam Rats. This gives the client some confusion on what was going on with the environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow password to be retrieved from KeyVault for ACR.

Hi,
    Currently when we set the password for ACR in APPSETTINGS under DOCKER_REGISTRY_SERVER_PASSWORD it is able to load the images but if I try to fetch the password from KeyVault the ACR tab is unable to load the images from.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base