Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add more native Cloud Apps to conditional base access

Currently there is only a small set of Cloud Apps available in the Cloud App section to in- or exclude in conditional based access.

My current configuration blocks all access to all Cloud Apps except the user is either member of a exception group or i excluded an application explicitly (e. g. Exchange Online or Sharepoint) or the device is marked as compliance (Intune) or the device is coming from a trusted location.

My first problem is, that i cannot onboard devices outside the company without adding the users to the exception group. The Intune Webportal (https://portal.manage.microsoft.com) is…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  App Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add alerts/notification for Auto heal application.

Adding alerts or notification when the there is a Proactive auto healing or Mitigation rules in the application.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Weibo for authentication

Weibo is the 'twitter' of China, which is of course a large market. It would be great if Weibo was plugged into the existing Mobile Services Authentication service.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Linux] Add support to restrict IP access for Web Apps Linux / Docker

Don't have this functionality became unfeasible use of Linux / Docker Web Apps in production environment

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Linux] Allow remote debugging of .NET core apps hosted by linux app services

It is currently not possible to remote debug .NET core applications running on Azure Linux App Services. Please consider to add remote debugging to the feature list of Linux App Services.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Hybrid Connection settings lost on slot creation but included in slot swap

Summary:
    When creating a new slot for an existing Web App, the Hybrid Connections are not copied to the created slot despite 'Configuration Source' being set to the production app, which has Hybrid Connections configured.

This is a problem because slot swap operations DO include the Hybrid Connection configurations. Therefore in order to deploy using a new staging slot, one must reconfigure the Hybrid Connections each time before doing the final swap into production.

Our particular use-case is that we are setting up an automated deployment process and would like the process to first recreate the staging slot by deleting…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable users to isolate an App Service Plan instance in order to perform offline debug

It’s difficult to balance root causing live fails with keeping a production application running. This feature request attempts to address this by asking for a way to isolate an ASP instance in a running application.

By isolating a misbehaving instance you can prevent it from affecting the behavior of the application overall. It can be studied for root cause without app devs or support being pressured to do this live on a production app. When debug is complete it could be terminated.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Web App on Linux MySQL support within the web app (same as Web Apps)

Enable MySQL within the Linux Web App, as the IIS Web Apps have.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Enable AAD Authentication for Multi-container Apps

A common (if not best) practice is to compose applications of multiple containers for the sake of separation of concerns. However, Azure doesn't support authentication with Azure Active Directory for multi-container apps. Until this is in place, we can't deploy our applications to Azure in a clean way.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support KeyVault out of box in App Services Environment

Currently ASE allows uploading of ILB certificates through script/portal.

Provision to autopick certificate from Azure KeyVault using thumbprint should be made possible through script/portal

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Improve the amount of free memory in App Service plans

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41630283/can-the-memory-utilisation-in-app-services-be-improved for overview.

Essentially an empty B1 app service plan has memory consumption ~50% without any apps actually running in it.

I understand this probably includes the OS and background tasks, but paying $55/mo for hosting my app and immediately having half of my RAM allocation chewed is hard to swallow.

Perhaps provide options to disable Kudu?

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Divert with a custom error page when an app service configured with IP Restrictions

When an App Service is configured with an IP Restriction, only whitelisted IP's can access the App service URL/site. Other users cant access the URL. By default the blacklisted IP's or denied IP's will receive
    Error 403 - This web app is stopped. Many SR's can been be seen with this requirement to divert or return custom error message instead of 403 error. It would be great if we have a feature in portal to divert with custom message when the IP restrictions are configured for a web app.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. VNet NAT Gateway on App Service delegated subnet

1. Delegate 'subnet1' to app services (webfarms).

2. Create a VNet NAT service and assign it to 'subnet1'.

3. Connect an app service to 'subnet1' using Regional VNet integration.

4. Set web app setting WEBSITEVNETROUTE_ALL to 1.

This should in theory route all outbound traffic from the web app into 'subnet1' and then out through the VNet NAT service.

This would be a huge benefit for those who are stuck whitelisting an web app's outbound IP addresses which are tied to the App Service Plan. You can not easily move web apps between plans or just re-create your web app infrastructure because…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow tag based whitelisting of Microsoft Azure Services on App Service

Please add the option of allowing the AppServices to Whitelist Azure Services by their Tags, just like in Application Gateway. There are cases where it is really helpful, like to the users of APIM Consumption Tier. Since there can be no dedicated IP to whitelist a Consumption Tier APIM instance, an entire bunch of Datacenter IPs needs to be whitelisted to prevent direct access to an API running on App Service. I just whitelisted like 161 IPs yesterday for North Central US region.

I have 8 App Service per environment, which host my APIs per environment and I have 3…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add service health notifications for planned maintenance on App Services

Currently, no notification for planned maintenance are sent for App Services when service health alerts are activated. Such notifications would be helpful to prepare for potential outages if the platform maintenance impacts availability or performance of the service.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Deploy a war or java web application into Azure with Artifactory or Nexus Sonatype

When you use Azure with a java web application you need to upload the packaged file (war) to the server using FTP or via GIT. Having a git repository of binary files isn't a good idea, usually you upload these binary files into an artifactory such as Nexus Sonatype or Jfrog.

It would be really great if we can fetch the files from such an artifactory (Nexus or JFrog). Or even fetching the file from a Azure Raw storage where our Continuous Integration servers can write to.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Use actual endpoint testing for custom domains rather than checking CNAME value

Our domain is “example-domain.com”. Let’s say I’m trying to set up an App Service called “booking-service”, which will be assigned the default URL of “booking-service.azurewebsites.net”. At the end of this whole process, I want to have an App Service in Azure responding to the hostname “booking-service.example-domain.com”, sitting behind our CDN (Cloudflare).

The failing path:
    Step 1: I create the App Service in Azure. This generates the “booking-service.azurewebsites.net” URL.
    Step 2: I create the CNAME “booking-service.example-domain.com” on Cloudflare’s control panel pointing to “booking-service.azurewebsites.net”, leaving the proxy/CDN/IP-hiding feature enabled. While in their control panel, we select the “CNAME” record type, however…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow a large organization to pre-validate custom domains/subdomains for ALL app services.

As a large organization it is very painful and slow to have to request a TXT DNS record be created for every single web app our developers need to create just to validate a subdomain we've already validated several times.

If I own
    *.thisdomain.com
    I should not have to validate
    subdomain.thisdomain.com
    OR when using path based:
    thisdomain.com/path/
    on our web applications in our subscriptions/tenant.

This is of primary concern because we host all web apps behind our application gateways and so users never use the domain to directly access the web application but the apps need to "think" they are…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Adding certificate support in Pricing Tier D1. HTTPS connections are blocked with user-define domains

There are more and more browsers (Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome with HTTPS Everywhere Plugin) that get HTTPS when connecting to a website. These customers then receive an error message (SSLERRORBADCERTDOMAIN). The reason is because the browser receives the domain azurewebsites. net as a response from the server and not my domain names. The certificate error messages can no longer be skipped in the newer browser versions. These customers will never come to the website.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The *.azurewebsites root certificate needs a stronger signature algorithm (SHA2 or SHA3)

Our testing has revealed that the root certificate in the .azurewebsites.net SSL certificate chain uses a weak SSL certificate signature algorithm (SHA1 with RSA). Can you please update the SSL certificate so that the full chain uses signature algorithms of at least SHA2? It would also be nice if App Service supported the ability to block SSL connections that do not provide server name indication (SNI) for one of the custom domain names. This would prevent the default azurewebsites.net certificate from being returned when the testing tool establishes an SSL connection just using the IP address without SNI.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 5 7 9 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base