Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Version data for deployed slot

I'm using ARM template to deploy a new slot to an existing webapp, the problem is that there is no way of seeing or passing the version of the build that the slot has.

It would be really useful to have a "Version" -field in the portal where I can pass the version data of the build so that you could easily see which slot has which build version.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Limit number of accepted client certificates when doing mutual TLS

I want to be able to control the trusted issuers list sent to the web browser so that list of allowed certificates can be filtered in the browser. This was possible in IIS and with Azure Cloud Service I believe but how can we do it in a Azure web app?

What I basically want to do is set the content of the certificate_authorities field in CertificateRequest sent by the server to the browser in the TLS handshake as stated in RFC5246.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Gradle plugin support on Azure App Service

Wish to see Gradle plugin support on Azure Apps Service.
    This available plugin here -https://github.com/lenala/azure-gradle-plugins -is for testing purpose only (not recommended for production).

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Web App built-on CORS header Access-Control-Max-Age

Using the built-in CORS support in App Service for an API Web App, we can't specify header 'Access-Control-Max-Age' or any other headers besides 'Access-Control-Allow-Credentials' and 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin'.

We would like to use the App Service built-in CORS because it's easy to manage all the different allowed origins from there, but we need to be able to set headers like 'Access-Control-Max-Age', 'Cache-Control', and 'Vary' to optimize the OPTIONS calls.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Option to block TOR traffic from Azure WebSites

Looking through my web logs, most traffice coming from TOR is unfortunately only used for trying to hack my site.
    Blocking TOR traffic is not trivial, since you must compare the IP to the long list of TOR exit servers.
    For websites that are really not used by e.g. dissidents it would be great to have a simple option to block it on Azure WebSites.

Something like "Allow TOR traffice" On/Off

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. [Linux] - Set Docker Image Tag as a slot setting in Application Settings of a Web App for Containers

When swapping between staging and production slots of a Web App for Containers, it would be really handy to have the option of keeping the tag of each image in its respective slot (e.g. image:latest for production, image:dev for staging) and not get them to swap after each slot swap.
    Imagine you setup Continuous Deployment through Dockerhub. You push code changes on GitHub, and image build is triggered and then an image pull request from Azure to Dockerhub. If a swap has preceded the above flow, then newly build images would end up in the opposite from desired deployment slots. …

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable 'Resource Health' Feature for Isolated App Service Plans

Enable 'Resource Health" feature for Isolated App Service Plans.

Currently, it shows error message "incorrect health status - not supported"

"
    Resource health status is not available for Free, Shared or Isolated App Service plan. To enable health status, consider upgrading to a Basic, Standard, or Premium App Service plan.
    Report incorrect health status "

Instead, users of the most expensive plan, Isolated, in an ASE, are encouraged to change their plan?

Please add the feature or adjust the message. Thank you.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow azure websites to reverse proxy to hybrid connections

I am trying to connect an azure website using reverse proxy to an internal site over a BizTalk hybrid connection. I have setup the reverse proxy web.config file to point the azure website to my internal site over the hybrid connection. Example www.mysite.com points to http://server1:8080 Seeing this error when I attempt this:

The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process.

Is this supported? What address should I point my reverse proxy too?

Sample config:

configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <rewrite>
    <rules>
    <rule name="ReverseProxyInboundRule1" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)"/>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="http://SERVER1:8080/{R:1}"/>
    </rule>
    </rules>
    </rewrite>
    <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false"/>
    </system.webServer> …

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow importing 3rd party ssl certs for use as app service certificates in app services/web apps

Currently if I have an ssl certificate being used in multiple app services, when I renew that certificate I have to update the app services one by one or via powershell. It looks like using an app service certificate would solve this by allowing me to renew in one place and have it update each of the app services automatically. The problem being that I use 3rd party issued ssl certs vs ones created as app service certs in azure.

Ideal would be to either allow uploading 3rd party ssl certs to be used as app service certs or offer…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for deploying R Shiny App to Azure Web App Container

What I’m looking for is a guide/tutorial/dockerfile on how to accomplish deploying a shiny app to Azure Web Apps (a tutorial for Flask already exists https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/containers/quickstart-python). I think this would be a great addition to the App Service Linux lineup, since Shiny (https://shiny.rstudio.com/) is very popular. A somewhat similar solution exists here https://www.shinyproxy.io/.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Slot swapping should check if cache is ready (applicationInitialization ignored)

After we incurred some downtime in our app service due to infrastructure updates on azure storage, we implemented the local cache feature to combat this. In doing so, this meant that we had to implement slots with preview in order to warm up the cache, ensuring that it is ready to serve before swapping. In implementing this we found that we had to also implement applicationInitialization in our web config.

Our experience shows that this configuration is being ignored. So that first applyingSlotConfig and then Slotsswap operations via powershell swaps slots without ensuring that the site is ready.

Our suggestion…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Let me arrange web app settings by alphabetical order!

Currently the web app settings have no option for order control in either the old or new portals. Allowing administrators to arrange these alphabetically or at least have a default alphabetical order would be very helpful.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. minWorkerThreads : But it was difficult to determine this value

We managed to resolve the “Poor Performance”, but we had to do a lot of reading, it was good that the profiler pointed us in the right direction suggesting to set this value MinWorkerThread
    • This request is spending time waiting in the CLR Thread pool queue. This has happen if there is a burst load of requests coming to the process or if there is HIGH CPU on the overall instance.
    • Recommendations : Increase minWorkerThreads setting if your application is getting burst load of requests.

But it was difficult to determine this value.

The following Very old link…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Powershell Set-AzureWebsite to toggle Always On

It seems like every option is available EXCEPT this. Seems like it could be bolted on similarly to the others, like -WebSocketsEnabled<Boolean>.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn495207.aspx

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  CLI/Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. [Linux] Ability to move a Web App to a different App Service plan

Enable the 'Change App Service Plan' blade for Linux web apps in order to allow Linux apps to be moved to a different App Service plan in the way Windows apps can be moved now.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Certificate Authentication

From what I can see clients can only authenticate to API apps interactively. This, like others said, makes automated authentication difficult. It would be great to support certificate authentication, much like the Azure Management API does, i.e. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/ee460782.aspx#bk_cert

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback!

For the time being you can use service principle auth to programmatically authenticate with an API if you are using AAD auth. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-api/app-service-api-dotnet-service-principal-auth

We would like to add general cert auth to App Service authentication/authorization in the future. I am placing this item in “unplanned” to be used in future planning sessions.

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure App Service Team

17. Manage HTTP Headers for Azure static website

There doesn't seem to be a clear and defined way to manage HTTP headers with an Azure static website. I know this feature is still in preview but my team and I are attempting to make this into a production ready web application.

I think most people utilizing the static website feature will be using javascript frameworks like Reactjs or Angular. Since there isnt a web.config to manage http headers it becomes unclear on how to approach this. The headers in question are Content Security Policy, X-Content-Type-Options, and X-XSS-Protection.

Thanks!

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. WebApp custom DNS with private DNS Name

Custom DNS HostName for a WebApp is working exactly in the same way in both Azure and Azure Stack, with both ownership and record check against a public Internet DNS server. That's pretty cool for public facing web applications, but represents a security issue for :
    1)Intranet applications.(hosted on Azure or AzureStack)
    - Custom Domain Names makes sence not only for Internet but Intranet too.
    - We don't want to expose intranet application names publicly to the wild...
    2)Multi-tenant AzureStack
    - Each customer would like to have it's own custom domain for its applications, and not use the *.appservice.local.azurestack.external or…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PowerShell to retrieve the details of an existing App Service Environment

I am trying to get the Virtual Network details in which App Service Environment is deployed.
    I have tried with Get-AzResource -Name AppServiceEnvironmentName -ResourceType Microsoft.Web/hostingEnvironments

It's giving me the basic App Service Environment details and not having the linked Virtual Network details.

Can you please help me if there is any command/module which helps me to retrive an existing App Service Environment details.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  CLI/Powershell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Application Security Groups (ASG) support for App Service Environments (ASE)

As stated in the comments section of this page https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/applicationsecuritygroups/
    "It's on the roadmap, all services integrated with VNet like ASE and SQL MI will be part of ASGs groups, as of today the scope doesn't cover subnets for those services, we are exploring options in the near future."

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base