Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provides a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js, Python and more. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, BitBucket and others to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

More details about the services are available in the App Service documentation. If you have a technical issue, please open a post on the developer forums through Stack Overflow or MSDN.

Products that we listen to in this space include: App Service, Web Apps, API Apps and Web App for Containers.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add alerts/notification for Auto heal application.

Adding alerts or notification when the there is a Proactive auto healing or Mitigation rules in the application.

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  API Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add feedback on the Portal on Automatic Swaps

When we configure a staging slot with Continuous Deployment and Auto-Swap we need some sort of visual feedback to know when the swap was done. Right now what we see is that the Active Deployment of the staging slot changes to the previous deploy checkpoint and that's how we know it swapped.
    It would be great if on the production slot we could get at least some sort of message saying the current Active Deployment that was swapped or at least some sort of visual aid.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [Linux] Ability to move a Web App to a different App Service plan

Enable the 'Change App Service Plan' blade for Linux web apps in order to allow Linux apps to be moved to a different App Service plan in the way Windows apps can be moved now.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. [Linux] - Set Docker Image Tag as a slot setting in Application Settings of a Web App for Containers

When swapping between staging and production slots of a Web App for Containers, it would be really handy to have the option of keeping the tag of each image in its respective slot (e.g. image:latest for production, image:dev for staging) and not get them to swap after each slot swap.
    Imagine you setup Continuous Deployment through Dockerhub. You push code changes on GitHub, and image build is triggered and then an image pull request from Azure to Dockerhub. If a swap has preceded the above flow, then newly build images would end up in the opposite from desired deployment slots. …

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Strict-Transport-Security

With the ability now to force HTTPS, it would be nice if Strict-Transport-Security HTTP Header should also be set and knock another finding off of the security report:

Details on The Header:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Strict-Transport-Security

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rewriting to /public is absolutely not the right way to change the document root

After doing some reading, I'm seeing Azure actually suggesting to people running Laravel (and any others that don't host out of the root project structure) applications to use mod_rewrite to rewrite requests to point to "/public".

This is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion and is effectively some of the worst advice you could give. Forcing people to have "/public" in their URL structure because you guys didn't take the time to research the bare-minimum configuration options for your offering is not in any way acceptable.

I suggest you urgently add support for the ability to configure the document root. Not only…

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) and the count for each web app within a particular app service plan.

See the number of outbound tcp connections (OpenSocketCount) for each web app within a particular app service plan. I have had issues were all web apps in that service plan were failing when accessing sql server or service bus relay (anything that needs an outgoing tcp connection) because the number of open tcp connections exceeded the plan limit. I had to request the information from support to figure out what web apps had the majority of the open sockets.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. VNet NAT Gateway on App Service delegated subnet

1. Delegate 'subnet1' to app services (webfarms).

2. Create a VNet NAT service and assign it to 'subnet1'.

3. Connect an app service to 'subnet1' using Regional VNet integration.

4. Set web app setting WEBSITEVNETROUTE_ALL to 1.

This should in theory route all outbound traffic from the web app into 'subnet1' and then out through the VNet NAT service.

This would be a huge benefit for those who are stuck whitelisting an web app's outbound IP addresses which are tied to the App Service Plan. You can not easily move web apps between plans or just re-create your web app infrastructure because…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Offer higher memory / RAM app service plans

I can see this has been raised before but we would really like to see plan options with higher memory. We could host about twice as many applications on the same plan if memory was increased to something like 32gb. Our apps aren't CPU intensive but need more memory, nor any more up.

Thanks!

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  App Service Environment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Version data for deployed slot

I'm using ARM template to deploy a new slot to an existing webapp, the problem is that there is no way of seeing or passing the version of the build that the slot has.

It would be really useful to have a "Version" -field in the portal where I can pass the version data of the build so that you could easily see which slot has which build version.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Limit number of accepted client certificates when doing mutual TLS

I want to be able to control the trusted issuers list sent to the web browser so that list of allowed certificates can be filtered in the browser. This was possible in IIS and with Azure Cloud Service I believe but how can we do it in a Azure web app?

What I basically want to do is set the content of the certificate_authorities field in CertificateRequest sent by the server to the browser in the TLS handshake as stated in RFC5246.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Slot swapping should check if cache is ready (applicationInitialization ignored)

After we incurred some downtime in our app service due to infrastructure updates on azure storage, we implemented the local cache feature to combat this. In doing so, this meant that we had to implement slots with preview in order to warm up the cache, ensuring that it is ready to serve before swapping. In implementing this we found that we had to also implement applicationInitialization in our web config.

Our experience shows that this configuration is being ignored. So that first applyingSlotConfig and then Slotsswap operations via powershell swaps slots without ensuring that the site is ready.

Our suggestion…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support for NetworkWatcher / NSG Flow logs for App Service with Regional Vnet Integration enabled

At the moment, if one uses an App Service with Vnet Integration there is NO way to monitor the traffic that traverses this path. For organizations with requirements to monitor ALL network traffic for integrity / Security / Audit purposes - this presents a significant challenge as ALL traffic that traverses this integration is not able to be monitored. Since the App Service presents itself as on a given subnet within the Vnet - there should be NO reason that NetworkWatcher or NSG flow logs shouldn't be usable.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. minWorkerThreads : But it was difficult to determine this value

We managed to resolve the “Poor Performance”, but we had to do a lot of reading, it was good that the profiler pointed us in the right direction suggesting to set this value MinWorkerThread
    • This request is spending time waiting in the CLR Thread pool queue. This has happen if there is a burst load of requests coming to the process or if there is HIGH CPU on the overall instance.
    • Recommendations : Increase minWorkerThreads setting if your application is getting burst load of requests.

But it was difficult to determine this value.

The following Very old link…

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Option to block TOR traffic from Azure WebSites

Looking through my web logs, most traffice coming from TOR is unfortunately only used for trying to hack my site.
    Blocking TOR traffic is not trivial, since you must compare the IP to the long list of TOR exit servers.
    For websites that are really not used by e.g. dissidents it would be great to have a simple option to block it on Azure WebSites.

Something like "Allow TOR traffice" On/Off

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Display multibyte characters on Web SSH

Currently Web SSH cannot display multibyte character content (i.e. Japanse characters in log files) by cat command etc (see jpcharswebssh.jpg).
    But Kudu (bash) can do it (see jpchars
    kudu.jpg).

Please support do it on Web SSH and provide current limitation about displaying text.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Linux  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Manage HTTP Headers for Azure static website

There doesn't seem to be a clear and defined way to manage HTTP headers with an Azure static website. I know this feature is still in preview but my team and I are attempting to make this into a production ready web application.

I think most people utilizing the static website feature will be using javascript frameworks like Reactjs or Angular. Since there isnt a web.config to manage http headers it becomes unclear on how to approach this. The headers in question are Content Security Policy, X-Content-Type-Options, and X-XSS-Protection.

Thanks!

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Supportability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Hybrid Connection settings lost on slot creation but included in slot swap

Summary:
    When creating a new slot for an existing Web App, the Hybrid Connections are not copied to the created slot despite 'Configuration Source' being set to the production app, which has Hybrid Connections configured.

This is a problem because slot swap operations DO include the Hybrid Connection configurations. Therefore in order to deploy using a new staging slot, one must reconfigure the Hybrid Connections each time before doing the final swap into production.

Our particular use-case is that we are setting up an automated deployment process and would like the process to first recreate the staging slot by deleting…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enable Http2 / Server push on worker instances in app service

Now that Azure Web Apps supports Http/2 but is limited to only fAzure Front end (just like how ssl does) requests to worker should also support Http/2 to get full advantage out of it.

Server push is not currently available on app service.
    Server push allows the server to push resources to the client ahead of time via PUSH_PROMISE

https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/http2/#pushpromise101

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow azure websites to reverse proxy to hybrid connections

I am trying to connect an azure website using reverse proxy to an internal site over a BizTalk hybrid connection. I have setup the reverse proxy web.config file to point the azure website to my internal site over the hybrid connection. Example www.mysite.com points to http://server1:8080 Seeing this error when I attempt this:

The specified CGI application encountered an error and the server terminated the process.

Is this supported? What address should I point my reverse proxy too?

Sample config:

configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <rewrite>
    <rules>
    <rule name="ReverseProxyInboundRule1" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="(.*)"/>
    <action type="Rewrite" url="http://SERVER1:8080/{R:1}"/>
    </rule>
    </rules>
    </rewrite>
    <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false"/>