Web Apps

Web Apps in Azure App Service provide a scalable, reliable, and easy-to-use environment for hosting web applications. Select from a range of frameworks and templates to create a web site in seconds. Use any tool or OS to develop your site with .NET, PHP, Node.js or Python. Choose from a variety of source control options including TFS, GitHub, and BitBucket to set up continuous integration and develop as a team.

How can we improve Azure Web Apps?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. webjob schedule timezone and DST support

I'd really like to see timezone and daylight savings time support on the webjob schedule. Without support for scheduling jobs that can run at the proper time in every time zone needed we currently can't use scheduled webjobs to replace a homegrown system. Azure Scheduler has the same limitation and I've posted there as well.

We'd really like to move off our homegrown scheduler to have the advantage of Azure services for our needs but this limitation is preventing that. It didn't take many lines of c# for us to handle this in our scheduler so we know its possible.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Access all quotas & limits on websites to determine bottlenecks

Running a site on a PaaS is a wonderful thing until you hit boundaries and lack transparency to quickly respond to issues.
      Especially because the times you're hitting those issues are usually very time critical!

E.g. we had a Web App scaled out to 6 servers but noticed that we had major performance issues even though the CPUs were only at 10% the database DTU usage was only at 1% and any available metric was in a very reasonable range.
      Only after many hours intense back and forth with the support team were we able to determine that we're hitting…

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is started but not in the manner you might expect. We are making a number of changes so that you will not hit an IOPS limit issue anymore.
        As a general rule though, we do try to push up information when quotas are hit.
        Christina

• Show the current github configured branch

Currently you have to use the Resource Explorer to figure out/remember which GitHub branch you had configured. This is pretty inconvenient. Even showing it in the logs would be more useful.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Add IP address to 'Testing in Production' section of WebApps

Currently you can create new slots and distribute the percentage of traffic between them. What would be very helpful is to add a IP address to this, so all traffic (or a percentage of traffic) from a certain IP would go to a certain slot.
          The use case for this would be adding your companies IP address to go to the staging slot so they can all test the website, without them switching between a production and staging url all the time.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Add a Remove-AzureRmWebAppCertificate cmdlet

There is no PowerShell cmdlet for Remove-AzureRmWebAppCertificate. This would be really useful to enable cleanup of old certificates that are no longer used.

(Note: I'm aware that using Remove-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding will clean up a certificate if it's not referenced anymore. However, in production applications we don't want to use that cmdlet when updating an SSL certificate - we instead use New-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding to overwrite the existing binding to the new certificate. The New-AzureRmWebAppSSLBinding cmdlet doesn't clean up the unused old certificate.)

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add the ability to see the request queue for web apps in the azure portal

It would be great if we could see the current request queue for a web app in the portal (like you can in IIS)

This is very useful for debugging issues with long running requests and spotting weird things like 1 ip making masses of concurrent requests.

15 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Allow the use of configuration sections for webjobs

Currently azure webjobs do not allow for the use of configuration outside of connection strings and appsettings.

It would be useful to support custom configuration sections and the GetSection method

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.configuration.configurationsection

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.configuration.configuration.getsection

sometimes having some structure in your configuration is useful and there are any number of 3rd party nuget packages and libraries that need configuration sections.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Install 64 bit dotnet.exe runtime

I have a memory intensive webjob that uses dotnet.exe and needs to run in 64 bit mode. But the dotnet.exe currently installed is 32 bit.

Is there an easy way to change this to 64 bit? Or can the 64 bit dotnet.exe be installed by default?

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • 1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • App Service Environment Scaling Time is Too Long

It takes a minimum of 2-3 hours, and a maximum of 20-30 hours to perform any scaling operation on App Service Environments.

This is terribly slow compared to expectations compared with using Classic Cloud Services.

We are not always able to predict spontaneous traffic growth, and scalling too wide or tall in advance is wasteful of budget and resources.

8 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We definitely want to improve the ASE scaling experience and have been working on it for several months already. You should already be able to see some of the impacts of those changes rolling out and it will only continue to improve.

Christina

• Azure App Service Certificate : Add support for EV certificates (Extended Validation)

Azure App Service Certificate permit to have standard SSL and Wildcard. But need to add a new SKU for permit customers to register an EV Certificate too (Extended Validation)

12 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  App Gallery  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Azure Key Vault Recently announced support for EV certificates with 3rd party integration.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kv/2016/09/26/manage-certificates-via-azure-key-vault/
                          https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kv/2016/09/26/get-started-with-azure-key-vault-certificates/

Currently there are no immediate plans to offer EV certificates using Azure App Service Certificates. This item is tracked in our backlog.

• Add alerts for failed/successful git deployments

When using git for continuum deployment users need to manually check if the deployment is successful or not. An alert would help take action faster.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add path support for the "authentication enabled" option

The "authentication enabled" option is great for quick and easy auth-enabling of websites. It would be great if it had pathing support so that I could control which parts of the website got protected and which didn't.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide a real support for integrating Web Apps with resources inside a virtual network

The current implementation of Vnet integration with Web Apps is nowhere near good enough.
                              1. ASE's: ASE's are fine, but the extreme cost makes it completely unrealistic to use the feature except for very large sites.
                              2. Point-to-Site Vnets: If my vnet is an Expressroute vnet then I have no way to connecto to it using this feature

We need a well-working and easy way of integrating webapps with vnets. The optimal solution would be a simple "yes/no" for giving the web app an ip address inside the virtual network.

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add Quota and Set Retention Setting from ASM to ARM Portal

Could the Quota and Set Retention Setting from the Classic Azure Portal Web App -> Configure -> Site Diagnostics be moved over to the ARM Portal. These are two pretty important settings that seem to be missing from the new App Services -> Settings -> Diagnostics logs blade.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Azure App Service Backup Alerts

Could email notifications please be added to the Azure App Service Backups. It would be nice to be notified on a daily/weekly basis if the backups of my App Services and completing successfully, partially successfully or failing.

12 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Azure Notifications to Microsoft Flow

Azure could really help our team communication by allowing notifications to go to Flow so we can post them where our team can see.

For example, when a slot is swapped, I want that to go somewhere so people know. We manually post notifications to Skype right now to affected teams.

It would be great to get alerts, notifications of new resources created, and other messages sent to Flow so we can use them however we want.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow uploading private certificates to the trusted root certificate store

It is quite common for certificate authorities to issue certificates for enterprise customers that come from root ca's not already in the trusted root certificate store.

It would be good if you could allow private root certificates to be added to the trusted root certificate store.

14 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • App Service connect to P2S into a coexistence model (VPN + ExR gateway in the same VNET)

Please allow App Services to connect to the P2S VPN of a VNET that is running an Express Route Gateway and VPN Gateway.

11 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Downloading publish profile in new portal doesn't work

Using latest version of Safari, when trying to download publish profile for an Azure App Service. It doesn't do anything. I have to go back to the old portal to download my profile.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Web Apps

Feedback and Knowledge Base