We welcome user feedback and feature requests!

Support for node-gyp in NodeJS applications

Some NPM packages is dependent on node-gyp to build. For example the SailsJS framework. This means that you can't use a packages.json file to NPM install on deploy. You have to include the whole node_modules directory in you deployment.
This would be a lovely feature!

62 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frej Norling shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminAzure App Service team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This does work on Basic/Standard/Premium for Node versions greater than 0.10.x (capable of using VSC++15), but we've got some issues in our Free/Shared/Dynamic plans for this. We've started an investigation into this to understand why this isn't working.

For now, if you're using Free/Shared you'll need to scale up to a Basic instance if you'd like to install node modules. If you're using Dynamic, you'll likely have to upload them directly from your machine. Be sure to use Windows and the exact Node version which you're targeting, including 32/64 bit (it's 6.5.0 32 bit at the time of this posting, for Function Apps).

• Luis Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. node-gyp is required for memwatch. I currently have not found a memory profiling alternative for memwatch that can run in azure websites, which is a big limitation for proactively monitoring production apps.

Although this request is fore node-gyp, I would request azure websites to support deploying native modules in general.

• Frej Norling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks!

Looking forward to it! It's a small change but it means a lot to new customers for the Azure platform if your NodeJS framework of choise crach and burn when deployed to Azure for the first time, as it did for me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base